PDA

View Full Version : Swimming with a broken rib

freestyle
July 5th, 2008, 09:34 AM
I am training do a 13 mile fundraiser in mid-August (I am swimming across Lake St Clair in honor of my son, who was recently diagnosed with cystic fibrosis). However, last Saturday I cracked a rib, and am up in the air about continuing to train. I have backed off but still have done 11 miles since it happened. My pain doesn't seem as severe as I would expect, and am waiting another week to go back to the doctor. Any advice?

craiglll@yahoo.com
July 5th, 2008, 09:39 PM
I cracked a vertebra in May. It has been 4 weeks since my operation. I also had a cyst on the same vertebra. That was why I was originally going to get the operation. It is a really long story. I have been swimming now for 2 1/2 weeks. The doctor says no flip turns. Today I did 2000 meters. I did 6 flip turns. The last one really hurt so i stopped doing them.

Which rib is it? I would think it would really hurt when you inhales.

aquageek
July 5th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I swam with a broken rib for a few months and it wasn't too bad. Only hurt on flipturns.

freestyle
July 5th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Did 3500 more yards today more today - more pain than before. My flip turns don't seem to hurt it, but breathing on the left side (#5 on the right is cracked) is somewhat more painful. I get more pain doing non-swimming moves, like bending over, etc. I may do another 3500 tomorrow, I'll let you know - thanks.