PDA

View Full Version : Post trials depression

Syd
July 7th, 2008, 02:36 AM
It's official. I have it. Spent the whole of last week glued to Omega timing, USMS Discussion Forums and video replays. That, coupled with the fact that I couldn't do any serious swims because the pool was crawling with kids on the first week of summer holidays and the gym was closed for roof repairs.

Now it is back to reality. No more vicarious enjoyment through the superhuman results of Phelps et al. It is just me and the water. And, to be honest, I feel old...and slow! Anyone want to start a support group?!!!

ViveBene
July 7th, 2008, 07:50 AM
:bighug:

Opposite problem here: no TV, dialup computer. All my info comes from thrilling remarks on these boards!
So I went swimming, inspired to try for the Geezer Olympics. It was nice in Lake Michigan, altho' I wish my left hand would not get numb! Swimming gloves?

Regards, VB

geochuck
July 7th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Had a break yesterday, my twins boys celebrated their 47th birtday yesterday. I could not wait to get home to watch Dara's swim.

I loved it, a great power swim. A 50, is there any race better to watch?

swimr4life
July 7th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I loved it, a great power swim. A 50, is there any race better to watch?

Nope! Its the best to race too. ALL OUT, no strategy....just GO FAST TO THE WALL! :applaud:

tjrpatt
July 7th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I thought that I was the only one who had this.

USMSarah
July 7th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I'm right there with you. After seeing Dara winning the sprints at the age of 41 made me feel inadequate in the pool. I'll have to get over that... but Hansen's 4th place finish in the 200 breast sent me over the edge.

:cry:

geochuck
July 7th, 2008, 12:13 PM
What things are they going to say about Dara when she makes the team for the 2012 Olympics.

Maybe they will say - She juiced with Cranberry juice the beverage they give in Geriatric Homes for the aged so they can go to the bathroom.

Chris Stevenson
July 7th, 2008, 02:57 PM
A 50, is there any race better to watch?

I dunno...how about every other one?

Jokes (sort of) aside, I enjoy watching the IMs because of the potential lead changes and the fly events because it is such a purty stroke.

LindsayNB
July 7th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Although close races can be exciting it's also kind of cool if you can tell who won, or at least who medaled, without relying on the electronic timing, which is often not the case with the 50 free.

Watching to see if Phelps will catch Crocker is usually fun. Watching Crocker pull away from Phelps at 2005 Worlds for a WR was a pretty great race to watch.

SLOmmafan
July 7th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I always feel like they need a different camera angle for the 50 free - something like a full birds-eye view, or even a good wide angle under water view of the finish. For all the equipment you see set up in and around the pool, I feel like you do not get to see all that many angles (then again, I suppose I should just be happy they at least show any swimming on network TV!!)

strong440
July 7th, 2008, 10:18 PM
:bighug:

Opposite problem here: no TV, dialup computer. All my info comes from thrilling remarks on these boards!
So I went swimming, inspired to try for the Geezer Olympics. It was nice in Lake Michigan, altho' I wish my left hand would not get numb! Swimming gloves?

Regards, VB

Hey, ViveBene; Just warm-down with (lightly) closed fists and you shouldn't have any more such sore shoulders. It works with any stroke. I am compelled to swim 200 Fly every day as a warm-up which I do mostly with closed fists. I'm very slow, but I'm still alive, and not always last.

p.s. Viva 440 is one of my license plates That was the event I swam for Northwestern in 1942. (Also, as a Hornist I auditioned for Stokowski in 1956 or 1957, but didn't make the cut).

Slowswim
July 11th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Nope! Its the best to race too. ALL OUT, no strategy....just GO FAST TO THE WALL! :applaud:

Gotta disagree No strategy=boring. IMHO

I like any 200, any relay, and the IMs. With out strategy, its just genetics, like the 50 meter dash. Its strategy that adds the human drama.

SwimTotoSwim
July 12th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Folks in are area going to gather, share stories and review some of the TV footage... to get us to the actually Olympics... in just a few weeks...

Omaha was definitely a great venue, a great few days, then ... coming back to routine has been hard. Hope they bid on 2012 Swim Trails or maybe USMS National at QWest Center ?

Looking forward to re-living the moments.

Anthony Thompson
Missouri Valley Masters

chowmi
July 14th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Try getting a hold of anything by Bud Greenspan (ie, Bud Greenspan's Olympic coverages, multi years, mix of sports). They are totally, totally awesome!!! All stories so inspiring and especially anything about swimming - one about Rowdy Gaines.

Don't know if you can rent them; I taped a bunch from HBO or showtime, I think.