PDA

View Full Version : Non-OW oriented workouts in OW?

LindsayNB
July 7th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Does anyone have any experience with doing workouts in OW that aren't oriented toward distance freestyle?

I've got the ocean out my front door, and the water is warm enough July and August which happen to be the months my club is shut down for the summer, and the pool is a 45min drive away and closed on weekends so it seems to make sense, but I'm not that into distance free every swim, but I'm a little lost with no set distances or pace clocks...

Also, does anyone else's neck seem to get stiff and sore from OW swimming? Is that from exagerated movements to ensure I get air instead of a wave when I breath? Or perhaps holding my head higher than normal in hopes of spotting the jellyfish? Or some other stroke flaw? Anything I can do out of the water to reduce the problem?

ViveBene
July 10th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Hi -
An interesting question, altho' I don't have specific answers. OW conditions are so variable from day to day one wouldn't be able to judge one's performance simply from comparing times across days, but there are water-resistant wristwatches with bells and whistles (and illumination) and stopwatch and timing functions to help. If you swim near a beach, perhaps a couple of brightly colored objects could set the general termini of a short-course swim, better than spotting would.

Or turn the question around: what can you learn from distance OW swimming that you can take back into the pool? The other day I noticed my FR stroke was changing slightly over the course of a mile OW and I was more "fishy" (in TI terms).

I had a stiff neck the first long OW swim of the year, but not thereafter.

OW swimming is a joyful experience; I am a better swimmer in all dimensions after a summer with lots of OW work. (YMMV) OW forces more definition into my stroke mechanics. And one is not limited to FR: a top flyer does 5k of fly during Chicago's OW Big Shoulders event, and BR swimmers do miles of that stroke! It would be interesting to try to devise ocean sets that answer your particular interest.

Regards, VB

Additional thought: If a beach is available, perhaps you could combine a beach sprint with a short ocean swim and time multiple iterations.

Rykno
July 18th, 2008, 01:29 AM
When I lived in Guam, we did ocean work outs as a part of our end of summer training before going from 50m to 25yd pools.

it was mostly swimming with sneakers on, and running with wet shoes in the sand.

it's been a long time, but what I remember getting out of it was that the walls seem to come so much faster in a 25yd pool after swimming in the ocean for 1-2 weeks.

aquageek
July 18th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Lindsay - a swim pal of mine lives on a lake in the summer. Our coach sends him pool workouts and he does them in the lake. I asked him how he did it and he said he found a buoy that was 200 meters away and then finds a shore marker that is 100 meters away and tries to use those distances for the workout.

mctrusty
July 18th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Lindsay - a swim pal of mine lives on a lake in the summer. Our coach sends him pool workouts and he does them in the lake. I asked him how he did it and he said he found a buoy that was 200 meters away and then finds a shore marker that is 100 meters away and tries to use those distances for the workout.

I was on vacation last week and did something like this. Except the known distance was 1/4 mile out. It worked pretty well.

Another thing you might do is get your stroke count for 25m of each stroke (fast and slow swimming) and then use those counts as a basis for doing sets. If it takes you x number of strokes to swim a 25m fly, do something like swim hard for x or 2x, rest or swim easy for y strokes free. Lather, rinse, repeat. If you have a waterproof watch, it'd be a good time to work on your stroke rate.

I did a lot of fly stuff in open water last week where I'd start out trying to sprint x fly strokes , the next day sprint x + 1, x + 2, etc.

Open water swimming is a good way to build strength, too. Especially swimming in the ocean.

LindsayNB
July 18th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Thanks guys! I think I will pass on swimming with sneakers on and there aren't any buoys near the house but the public beach down the shore has a buoyed off area and I will measure the distances between buoys.

I have measured the distances between various landmarks along the shore near the house so I can do some mid distance sets. I may also set up my own buoys.

The stroke count idea is a really good one that I should have thought of! I do a lot of one arm/full stroke combo fly sets in the pool so it shouldn't be hard to adapt.

I'm in Montreal this week and swam in a 50m pool one night, my usual fly set was a lot harder in 50m increments instead of 25m increments even after halving the repetitions!

Thanks again guys!