PDA

View Full Version : Kara Lynn Joyce

thewookiee
July 8th, 2008, 10:04 AM
According to several sources in the swimming world article, Kara Lynn Joyce has been named to the Olympic team

lefty
July 8th, 2008, 10:12 AM
To clear up what will probably be confusion, this is NOT because Torres scratched the 100. It is because Emily Silver, who placed 5th in the 100 free, broke her hand and will not be at the games. I think we all agree that it is better for the US team that Ms. Silver is not on the team.

swimr4life
July 8th, 2008, 10:41 AM
I received this from UGA swimming and diving yesterday. I'm so happy for Kara Lynn!!......

Former Lady Bulldog Kara Lynn Joyce has been named to the U.S. Olympic
team after USA Swimming announced Monday that Dara Torres will not
swim the 100m individual event in Beijing. Kara Lynn finished seventh
in the 100m free with a 55.02, posting her fastest time of the meet
(54.66) in the prelims. So, she's made a quick turn-around in her
travel arrangements to join the U.S. training camp in Palo Alto, Calif.

"Kara Lynn is very excited despite the logistics, and she's thrilled
to be on the team," said Jack Bauerle, head coach of the U.S. women's
squad. "We feel it's best for Dara to focus on the 50 and the relays,
so that presented an opening. Kara Lynn is the right person for the
job. This is not only a great opportunity for her, but we feel that
she's capable of swimming pretty darn fast. This decision is in the
best interest of our team."

With the appointment, Kara Lynn will be making her second trip to the
Olympics. In 2004, she earned a pair of silver medals in the 4x100m
free relay (American record) and 4x100m medley relay. She also placed
fifth in the 50m and 100m free events.

ande
July 8th, 2008, 10:56 AM
here's the link
http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/18490.asp

her teeth must have skin

thewookiee
July 8th, 2008, 10:56 AM
To clear up what will probably be confusion, this is NOT because Torres scratched the 100. It is because Emily Silver, who placed 5th in the 100 free, broke her hand and will not be at the games. I think we all agree that it is better for the US team that Ms. Silver is not on the team.

According to the article on swiminfo.com, they didn't say either way. Looking over the previous post, it may appear she was appointed to the them because Torres did in fact withdraw from the 100 free, which would open a roster spot and move her up one place.

Its a slow show
July 8th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Emily Silver sure needs to be acknowledged what a tough "break". How bummed is she right now???? I really feel sorry for her.

swimr4life
July 8th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I thought the same thing. Poor thing! That is awful. She must be heartbroken! How and when did she break her hand?

thewookiee
July 8th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I thought the same thing. Poor thing! That is awful. She must be heartbroken! How and when did she break her hand?

Finishing the prelims or semi's of the 50 free...she literally slammed the touch pads

lefty
July 8th, 2008, 12:04 PM
It really really is sad for Silver. I hope she comes back and does it again in 4 years.

thewookiee
July 8th, 2008, 01:07 PM
That maybe all the motivation she needs for another 4 years...getting the chance and then having it taken away.

KeithM
July 8th, 2008, 02:12 PM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/olympics/2008036293_swimlocal07.html

"She'll be fine for the Olympics," her father said. "Nothing could keep her off of that team. She's so excited." Olympic team training commences Tuesday in Palo Alto, Calif., and she will join them after surgery ... Mark Schubert, the national Olympic swim coach, said Silver's injury does not affect her team status. "Unless her doctor says she can't swim, Emily is on the team and will be on the team," Schubert said.

tjburk
July 8th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Glad to hear she will still be going!!!!

FlyQueen
July 8th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I'm glad she'll be there. Phelps was out of the water, for what 2 days? after breaking his hand. There are waterproof casts, too. I am glad she'll still be part of the team - I can't imagine how upset she'd be otherwise.

I'm also thrilled KLJ gets to swim too. She had a subpar (for her) trials. Hopefully she can elevate her game and kick booty on the relay - I wouldn't be surprised if she makes it back to swim at night.

swimr4life
July 8th, 2008, 02:48 PM
It sounds like she (Emily Silver) is one tough competitor!!! That's what you call racing to the finish. :bow:

Blackbeard's Peg
July 8th, 2008, 05:07 PM
There are waterproof casts, too.

YES THERE ARE!!! :drink:

I know first hand, having competed at 2005 LCM Nationals in a full arm cast ;-)
the previous december, I had a short arm cast and swam pretty fast (still have some top 5 times from that meet)

USMSarah
July 8th, 2008, 09:04 PM
The USA Swimming website also just reported that Silver will stay on the Olympic team. She had surgery today - hope she heals quickly and I'm glad that she is still going to Beijing. I'm very happy that KLJ is now on the team... there's always room for one more!

http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/ViewNewsArticle.aspx?TabId=1&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en&ItemId=2118&mid=2943