PDA

View Full Version : Fall 2008 in Arizona

Paul Smith
July 8th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Planning some VERY cool stuff for this coming fall...keep an eye out for:

- The Ron Johnson invite; SCM sometime the first two weeks of November

- An open water event tied to above

- "Vacation Meet" concept being tested with above, having some off site family stuff for those who don't wan to hang out on deck all day. Golf, Biking, Drive-in night, etc. etc.

- A clinic or 2 with some well known swimmer(s)

joy
July 8th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Is this going to be the SCM meet that is at Tempe like they had last yr and a few yrs ago??? Will is be a 2 day meet held at Mona Plummer. I have relatives in Mesa and would like to go to this meet if it is the same one I went to about 5 yrs ago. Will it be up on the Arizona website soon?? Thanz

Paul Smith
July 8th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Is this going to be the SCM meet that is at Tempe like they had last yr and a few yrs ago??? Will is be a 2 day meet held at Mona Plummer. I have relatives in Mesa and would like to go to this meet if it is the same one I went to about 5 yrs ago. Will it be up on the Arizona website soon?? Thanz

Joy, it is going to be a SCM meet and the tentative dates are 11/14-16. They are toying with the idea of offering a 1500, 2k & a 4k to give the athletes preparing for the Ironman Arizona (11/23) some oppurtunity to get some additional races in.

DCB & Mark Gill are also hosting a 4k the Sunday before (11/9) at Tempe town lake and there has been some talk of trying to move the meet to that weekend...problem being Mona Plummer would not be available so they would hold the masters meet at the SRC (also a very good pool).

Doug Adamavich
July 25th, 2008, 12:37 AM
None of these events are official yet, but the preliminary word I got from the Meet Directors says:

10/19 - Fall Classic (SCM) in Flagstaff
11/09 - Tribe Multisport 2.4 Mile Swim (OW) in Tempe
11/15-11/16 - Ron Johnson Invitational (SCM) in Tempe

We will have a USMS Sanction for all of these events shortly.

No other events are planned for this fall.

thewookiee
July 25th, 2008, 09:15 AM
How about a clinic conducted by Paul Smith???? hmmmmm....

Paul Smith
August 5th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Short Course Meters

At Mona Plummer pool ASU

Just finalized the dates...working on adding in a few twists like a 4k, a coaches challenge, etc.

Also, looking into negotiating some things like discounted golf, zoo tickets, etc. for folks that may be bringing along family that would prefer not to hang out at a pool all weekend.

Paul Smith
August 5th, 2008, 07:38 PM
How about a clinic conducted by Paul Smith???? hmmmmm....

Close...but possibly something MUCH better!

chowmi
September 4th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Anyone have indication of meet size for the Ron John? I am thinking of coming (again!) to AZ!!! You can really get spoiled going to meets where your big sister will chauffer you, feed you, and provide lodging for free!

PS - Did you get Dara?

Doug Adamavich
September 4th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Anyone have indication of meet size for the Ron John? I am thinking of coming (again!) to AZ!!! You can really get spoiled going to meets where your big sister will chauffer you, feed you, and provide lodging for free!

The size totally depends but in years past we got over 200. I think this year may be larger than in the last few years where participation has languished. Rumor is Paul Smith is getting involved in this meet and I reckon his efforts will bear fruit.

PS - Did you get Dara?

No, we are going to have to settle for Jason Lezak...

chowmi
September 22nd, 2008, 11:18 AM
Hooray!

See you at the Ron John!

I bought my plane ticket today. Could not stomach to see the aisle seats on my preferred flights filling up. See you zonies in November!!!

Doug Adamavich
October 7th, 2008, 06:15 PM
- A clinic or 2 with some well known swimmer(s)

There will actually be three clinics this November featuring Jason Lezak. On Saturday November 22nd he will have a clinic at Brophy (Phoenix) and another one at ASU (Tempe). Afterwards he will speak at a "Save ASU Men's Swimming" event on campus. The following day, Jason will host a brunch at Skyline Masters (Tucson) in the morning and host a clinic in the afternoon.

We are in the midst of finalizing details and times. When these are set they will be posted on the Arizona Masters website (www.azlmsc.org (http://www.azlmsc.org)) and there will be a sign-up web form for each clinic.

Stay tuned but get ready to learn from the best!

pwb
October 8th, 2008, 01:02 PM
There will actually be three clinics this November featuring Jason Lezak.

This is GREAT. Will this only be master's oriented? That is, could I bring my age group swimmers to this, as well?

Doug Adamavich
October 8th, 2008, 01:08 PM
This is GREAT. Will this only be master's oriented? That is, could I bring my age group swimmers to this, as well?

Well, you could bring them to the airport when he arrives...

The LMSC is paying for this and all participants in the clinics need to be registered USMS members.

That said, I am sure if this clinic goes over well that he could make a return visit for the USA-S kids... Let's talk about that after the event. BTW, we will have other clinics in the future. The word is that Rowdy Gaines is coming to town soon and he wants to do both a USMS and USA-S clinic. More on that later.

david.margrave
November 13th, 2008, 12:41 AM
I'm missing out this time - going someplace cold to visit relatives. Maybe next time, in summer or fall 2009.

Kurt Dickson
November 13th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Supposed to be mid-80s here with lots o' sun. You are right though, visiting aging relatives in Ohio is much more important (although the cold might preserve them until you get back). See you next time.:)

orca1946
November 14th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Are there any meets in lake havasu this year or in 09?

Kurt Dickson
November 14th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Never heard of a meet in Lake Havasu. The only way anybody swims in Lake Havasu is if they are interested in having Naegleria fowlerii swim through their cribiform plate and cause most certain death (amebic encephalitis--essentially untreatable).

Doug Adamavich
November 15th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Are there any meets in lake havasu this year or in 09?

None planned in 2009. Havasu is a great place to get drun... I mean swim, the water is really nice and clean. It's also great for boating, jetskiing, and wakeboarding. However, there are no immediate plans for any open water swims or meets in that area.