PDA

View Full Version : new swimmer

decent freestyler
July 9th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Hi Everyone! I am just getting back into swimming after 9 years. I swam from age 7-17. Please visit my blog at http://swimagain.blogspot.com for a more detailed intro.

scyfreestyler
July 9th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Welcome aboard! You're planning to go sub 47.6 in the 100 Free in the next few years...that's a tall order and should easily net you a USMS Top 10 time! Good luck and keep us posted as to your progress.

decent freestyler
July 9th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Thanks. That is definitely a goal, and I think it should be reachable in a couple of years with proper training. I guess this brings up a question, though, has anyone been able to better their lifetime bests after a 5+ year break???

david.margrave
July 9th, 2008, 02:10 AM
Where are you from in Virginia?

Some of my lifetime bests were at age 14-15, and weren't really all that fast, so I still stand a chance of catching them someday. If I had stuck with it to age 17, beating those times would be a lot more difficult at our advanced ages.

LindsayNB
July 9th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Thanks. That is definitely a goal, and I think it should be reachable in a couple of years with proper training. I guess this brings up a question, though, has anyone been able to better their lifetime bests after a 5+ year break???

Dare I mention Dara Torres? It's probably a question of how much and how hard you are willing to train. Very few people with a job and family have the time or inclination to train like a 17 year old.

decent freestyler
July 9th, 2008, 10:37 AM
David - I am in the Sterling, VA area. Currently training at Claude Moore Rec Center. Not sure if there is a Masters team that trains here or not, so I will most likley join Reston Masters...or CUBU.

I know the goals may be a bit out of reach in next couple of years. But I think with a formal training structure in a team environment it could be done.

SLOmmafan
July 9th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I swam high school and club team until I was 18. My last official race was my signature event, the 500 yard freestyle. I went exactly 5:00.36, never able to break the 5 minute mark.

I am 24 now and could probably pull out about a 5:35.00 on a normal day, a bit faster on a "good" day. I still have it in my mind to break the 5 mark, no matter what. I took about a solid 5 years off (basically all of college) and have been back in the mix for about a year.

More power to you for looking to improve your times post "age group"! I look forward to swimming my sub-5 at Clovis Nationals in 09, and bext of luck with training and meeting your goal too!

CaliSwimmer
July 9th, 2008, 01:53 PM

My husband swam from age 5-17 and then took off 25 years. He started swimming with our masters team nearly three years ago. Took two years to regain his technique and fitness (lost 30 pounds) and then started competing locally. He competed in Masters Nationals this spring. Got his lifetime best in either the 100 or 200 free... I can't remember which. He's having a blast and still improving. So yeah, you can definitely improve your time. Just be patient and join a masters team for the support, friendship and coaching.

Here's another guy who took a break and came back faster:

http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2008/jul/02/stroke-of-serendipity/

Xoote
July 9th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Welcome

decent freestyler
July 9th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I will be sure to keep in touch and be on this forum often! I am glad I found it and can connect with other swimmers.

Nathan T
July 9th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Decent Freestyler,

Welcome to the club!! I too just got back into swimming after nearly 18 years out of the water. I competed betweent the ages of 5 and 17. My events were the 100 and 200 free SCY. My goals are clear: continue getting into shape through summer, join masters team in fall, compete in Spring meets in 09, and make national times in 50, 100, and 200 by 2010.

The national time goal is fairly lofty as they are all faster than my personal best in each event. I honestly believe setting personal bests in these three events is attainable for me. I am healthy, I am determined, and I am goal oriented. In fact, I have the current national times for my age division tacked to my office wall right in front of me.

It would be great to read your progress and to read some of your training methods. Best of luck to you

taruky
July 9th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Hi Decent freestyler, good luck with your endeavor. I live in the Manassas area, and swim at the GMU Freedom Center.

quicksilver
July 10th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Being only 5 years out, and still relatively young, you have some good things in your favor.

Looking at the times for your age group is a great way to set new goals for your season.
http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/toptimes.php

Best of luck in your training.

swimshark
July 10th, 2008, 08:18 AM
David - I am in the Sterling, VA area. Currently training at Claude Moore Rec Center. Not sure if there is a Masters team that trains here or not, so I will most likley join Reston Masters...or CUBU.

I know the goals may be a bit out of reach in next couple of years. But I think with a formal training structure in a team environment it could be done.

Welcome back to the greatest sport. I'm in Gainesville, VA swimming at the Freedom Center. We're close and will probably meet at a meet soon.

swimshark
July 10th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Hi Decent freestyler, good luck with your endeavor. I live in the Manassas area, and swim at the GMU Freedom Center.

Um.. do we know each other? I swim with Occoquan.

Alison

funkyfish
July 10th, 2008, 08:54 AM

My guess is that if you were able to swim in the low :50s in the 100yd free then with proper practice you should have no problem. My best time in high school was a :49 and change and I've managed to go from a :55 to :51 with 2 yrs of swimming. This was after a 20 year layoff. The only thing I had in my favor was I continued with weightlifting, but it's definitely a different kind of strength. As mentioned earlier, given your relative youth you should have a very attainable goal in front of you. Good luck.
:banana: