PDA

View Full Version : Advice for distance events at the end of meets?

sciboinkhobbes
July 10th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Hey everyone!

I'm coaching at a fairly large age-group (mostly 8 yr-17yr) meet this weekend, but I also got talked into swimming an Open 400 Free race at the very end of the meet on Sunday. I haven't raced in a while, and I'm really just going for a time (sub-6 would be nice), but it'll probably be a good 3 hours or so from the time I get to warm up until my race. There's also no warm-up/warm-down pool, and the whole time in between I'll be coaching on deck... Any suggestions on how to stay relaxed or ready for my race without being able to get in the water?

Also, any suggestions for what to eat (breakfast, snacks) to keep energy throughout the day? I'll probably eat breakfast around 6:30 am, warm-up around 11 am, and then swim my race around 2 pm or so.

Thanks for reading :)

Kurt Dickson
July 11th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Hey everyone!

I'm coaching at a fairly large age-group (mostly 8 yr-17yr) meet this weekend, but I also got talked into swimming an Open 400 Free race at the very end of the meet on Sunday. I haven't raced in a while, and I'm really just going for a time (sub-6 would be nice), but it'll probably be a good 3 hours or so from the time I get to warm up until my race. There's also no warm-up/warm-down pool, and the whole time in between I'll be coaching on deck... Any suggestions on how to stay relaxed or ready for my race without being able to get in the water?

Also, any suggestions for what to eat (breakfast, snacks) to keep energy throughout the day? I'll probably eat breakfast around 6:30 am, warm-up around 11 am, and then swim my race around 2 pm or so.

Thanks for reading :)

Well, you could stay off your legs (doubtful when coaching 8 year-olds), stay out of the sun and stay hydrated (impossible if you are in AZ). My advice: get out while you can, or just rely on muscle memory and don't take it or yourself too seriously.

swimshark
July 11th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Good luck. Start the first 100 as a warm-up a bit then try to get into it. I like eating bananas during meet and maybe some nuts. Stay hydrated and have fun!

gull
July 11th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Either don't do it or swim it like you would a warm up. Trust me on this. I was in a similar position several years ago at a YMCA meet, swimming the 500. I would have quit at the 300 but the stands were full of parents, and my kids were watching. Worst pain I ever felt in a pool.

geochuck
July 11th, 2008, 09:57 AM
400 is a distance event??? Just get in and swim like you meant it. If you are in condition set the pace that best suits you. When ever I swam a 400 it was try to swim with the leaders with technique and gut the last 150.

decent freestyler
July 11th, 2008, 10:55 AM
When I was younger...at outdoor meets with no warmup pool our coach made us stand under the shower for about 2-3 minutes before each event...not too hot, not too cold...just room temp. it felt good.

LindsayNB
July 11th, 2008, 10:55 AM
400 is a distance event??? Just get in and swim like you meant it. If you are in condition set the pace that best suits you. When ever I swam a 400 it was try to swim with the leaders with technique and gut the last 150.

George, I was SO sure you were going to advise a hot shower before his race.

geochuck
July 11th, 2008, 11:28 AM
George, I was SO sure you were going to advise a hot shower before his race.
That would be a great suggestion, but also wrap up in hot towels to.

Allen Stark
July 11th, 2008, 11:50 AM
It's been said twice,but bears repeating KEEP HYDRATED.Also do what ever dryland warm up routines you can starting about 30 min before you swim.

sciboinkhobbes
July 11th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I really appreciate everyone's advice and well-wishes! I'll definitely be drinking lots of water and attempt to stay out of the sun as much as possible (haha, though, to that.) Also the shower idea sounds great, and I'll try to keep my muscles loose. I'm pretty excited for this race - haven't competed in a little over a year, so it'll be good for me.

Thanks again, all!

scyfreestyler
July 11th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Either don't do it or swim it like you would a warm up. Trust me on this. I was in a similar position several years ago at a YMCA meet, swimming the 500. I would have quit at the 300 but the stands were full of parents, and