PDA

View Full Version : Eric Shanteau

tjburk
July 11th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Anybody else read about this yet? My prayers go out to Eric and his family!!!

Olympic Swimmer Shanteau Has Testicular Cancer
Jul 11, 10:29 AM (ET) Email this Story

ATLANTA (AP) -Olympic swimmer Eric Shanteau is heading to Beijing with a devastating diagnosis: He has testicular cancer.
In an exclusive interview with The Associated Press, Shanteau said he learned just a week before the Olympic trials in Omaha, Neb., that he had cancer. His doctors cleared him to compete in that meet and he surprisingly made the team in the 200-meter breaststroke, finishing second ahead of former world-record holder and heavy favorite Brendan Hansen.

Even though Shanteau's doctors have advised him to have surgery now, he's planning to put it off until after Beijing because he doesn't want to disrupt his lifelong goal. The 24-year-old Georgia native will be monitored closely over the next month and vows to drop out of the Olympics if there's any sign is cancer is spreading.

scyfreestyler
July 11th, 2008, 11:28 AM
What a nightmare. Even if the cancer itself is not having any impact on him physically, it has to weigh heavy on him psychologically. I can't imagine competing at that level with something like this going on at the same time.

geochuck
July 11th, 2008, 11:35 AM
All I can do is wish him the best.

Allen Stark
July 11th, 2008, 11:46 AM
How awful,my prayers are with him.

knelson
July 11th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Wow, what timing. Not that any cancer diagnosis can come at a good time, but this is particularly bad.

Good luck to Shanteau. I believe he was third in a couple events at 2004 Trials, now he finally makes the team and has this hanging over him. I hope he can deal with it and swims lights out in Beijing AND, of course, kick the cancer's butt afterwards!

FlyQueen
July 11th, 2008, 12:09 PM
devastating ... poor guy. I hope he gets right home after a successful Olympics and has a successful recovery ...

USMSarah
July 11th, 2008, 12:26 PM
That brings tears to my eyes... I hate to hear this. It seems as though everywhere you turn, someone has cancer. But I'm thinking that since he knew before trials... and going on his performance there, I think he will do great in Beijing. They will have doctors on him 24-7, he is in great hands now. More power to him... my thoughts go out to the Shanteau family.

SwimStud
July 11th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Hey maybe this awful event will push him to grab the gold and make one of those special overcoming adversity moments--the Olympics always have a few of those.

I remember when the doc found a lump on me and I had to wait 4 days for a scan--thankfully it was nothing. It's an awful feeling just going over the what ifs and I can only imagine to get the confirmation at a time like this is a real shake up. Poor guy. At least he can look to Lance Armstrong for inspiration and I'm sure any support he may need.

USMSarah
July 11th, 2008, 02:33 PM
He is getting interviewed on CNN right now (1:30pm CST).

swimshark
July 13th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Wow, what an inspiration to us all.

I just read his bio and he went to high school near where I graduated. I know his coach.

Ripple
July 13th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Is this form of cancer getting more common, or are we just hearing about it more? Not long after Lance Armstrong's cancer hit the news, a well known Canadian figure skater was treated for it. It's scary that it seems to target young healthy men in the prime of life. I sincerely hope Eric Shanteau doesn't regret putting off his treatment until after the Olympics.

gull
July 13th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Is this form of cancer getting more common, or are we just hearing about it more?

The incidence is increasing but still represents only 1% of all cancers in men. We tend to hear more about a disease when it strikes a celebrity.

aquageek
July 13th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Kind of redefines the definition of sport's hero, in the recent swimming context anyway.

gull
July 14th, 2008, 10:39 AM
He should have surgery now, without further delay.

scyfreestyler
July 14th, 2008, 11:16 AM
He should have surgery now, without further delay.

I agree Gull. What good is an Olympic medal or Olympic experience when you have permitted testicular cancer to spread into your lungs, etc..

Just read an article yesterday about this yesterday in the NYTimes.

He has said that he might not be swimming at Stanford within the next few weeks, depending upon how things go and what his MD's have to say. Day by day he says. Peirsol said it was nice to have the spotlight off of him, and added that this completely wipes out all of the fears he had over what could possibly go wrong in one of his races. A reality check of sorts...what really counts in life.

tjburk
July 14th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I agree....lifelong dream is one thing.....life ending dream is another.

Unless the doctor could give me 100% assurance that postponing would have no effects on the outcome.....I would go home. Of course I say that now, who knows what I would have said at his age!!!!

SLOmmafan
July 14th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Being the same age as Eric Shanteau, I can't even begin to imagine what this would be like. I wonder if these types of things are caught in routine physicals - as a young 20 something I don't tend to make regular doctor check-ups. Looks like I might try and make yearly exams more of a habit!

Best of luck to Eric in both the Olympics and in treatment - thoughts and prayers with him and his family!

scyfreestyler
July 14th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Being the same age as Eric Shanteau, I can't even begin to imagine what this would be like. I wonder if these types of things are caught in routine physicals - as a young 20 something I don't tend to make regular doctor check-ups. Looks like I might try and make yearly exams more of a habit!

Best of luck to Eric in both the Olympics and in treatment - thoughts and prayers with him and his family!

Self examination is pretty simple actually.

smontanaro
July 14th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I thought in the article I read he was going to undergo frequent exams and have CT scans every two weeks. At the slightest hint of disease progression I thought he would reevaluate his decision to swim.

I don't know how advanced Shaneau's cancer is. I seem to recall that Lance Armstrong's had already metastasized before it was discovered. If Shanteau's hasn't yet, the prognosis should be very good. (The Wikipedia page suggests essentially 100% cure rate if it hasn't and says it has one of the highest cure rates.)

Skip

gull
July 14th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Disease progression = metastases. He should have it resected ASAP.

Treebox
July 14th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I'm not a physician but having lost a sister to Leukemia (in her 30's) I've got to say the decision is between Eric and his family. The physicians are there to advise. She wishes she'd followed through and taken a trip to Hawaii and always regretted it.

When he weighs it out for himself and says he'd take the Olympic Experience over the treatment for right now, my hat is off to him.

This board could armchair quarterback this topic until the cows come home but we really have no business other than wishing him well.

Eric: If you ever read this- keep up the PMA- Positive Mental Attitude

Semper Fi
Tree

geochuck
July 14th, 2008, 03:29 PM
It is great to compete but... I really believe health should come first.

Glenn
July 14th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Ripple,

Testicular cancer typically is a cancer that a young man may get. Probably the age range is 20's to 40's. Prostate cancer is usually reserved for the 50's to 80's age range. Self examination can find testicular cancer early.

If we are hearing more about this it is because cancer is no longer a hush hush subject. It used to be referred to as the "C" word. Now discussions of cancer are out in the open........and that is a good thing.

tjrpatt
July 14th, 2008, 09:23 PM
He is getting alot of mainstream press from his decision. He was interviewed on Inside Edition today.

jaegermeister
July 14th, 2008, 11:42 PM
First, this is an amazing story. Life beats fiction, again.

Second, IMHO it is foolish to second guess his decision. He and his physicians have much more information and he's clearly competent to weigh the pros and cons of his decision.

How one can persevere through this is another example of indomitable human spirit.

craiglll@yahoo.com
July 15th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Cancer is hard to deal with. Testicular cancer has one of the highest cure rates of all cancers. If it is detected before it spreads the rate is almost 100%. I just read about 2 weeks ago that the overall cure rate for cancer is 84%. That;s really good. Every year or so the rate rises.

gull
July 15th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Second, IMHO it is foolish to second guess his decision. He and his physicians have much more information and he's clearly competent to weigh the pros and cons of his decision.

My understanding was that his doctors were willing to delay surgery until after the trials.

jaegermeister
July 15th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Good interview with Eric on floswimming:

http://swimming.flocasts.org/videos/coverage/view_video/234046/69795-putting-it-in-perspective

ande
July 24th, 2008, 12:55 AM
http://sports.aol.com/olympics/story/_a/bbdp/swimmer-with-cancer-okd-for-olympics/97970

elise526
July 24th, 2008, 01:04 AM
http://sports.aol.com/olympics/story/_a/bbdp/swimmer-with-cancer-okd-for-olympics/97970

Thanks for the article, Ande. This is good news on a day that has not been a good one for swimming. Let's wish Eric well!

swimr4life
July 25th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Wow, what an inspiration to us all.

I just read his bio and he went to high school near where I graduated. I know his coach.

Do you know Chris Davis or Rick Creed? I swam for Chris back in my teens and swam with Rick in Summer League!Small world!

This is hard news to swallow for the Swimatlanta family. I had tears in my eyes when Eric made the team. He missed making the team in 2004 by placing 3rd in two events by a VERY small margin. We were thirilled that he made it this time. He has already proven he can handle this challenge by doing what he did at trials! GOOD LUCK ERIC! My prayers are with you!:applaud:

ande
July 28th, 2008, 10:34 AM
from the Olympic Team Update:
Press Conference from Training Camp (7/24/2008)

Can you give us an update on Eric Shanteau and how hes handling everything physically and mentally?

Reese: Eric has handled this whole situation better than our coaching staff has. We were more worried than he was. He just got the last blood work that will be taken here, and hes in great shape. Theyve given him the go-ahead to go on to (our training camp in) Singapore and Beijing, basically with no worries. Hes an over-worker. He always works harder than you want, more often than you want. Hes been working great. We did a set today that put him in a better position than he was going into Trials, and hes further away from the discovery of his cancer. The heat of the moment has been diminished, so hes focusing more on his swimming now than ever before, and hes in great shape.

ande
August 7th, 2008, 10:31 AM
article in Austin's paper today

Austin's Shanteau takes on inspirational role
With some help from Lance Armstrong's team, he's competing in Beijing despite recent cancer diagnosis.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/08/07/0807olyswim.html

rtodd
August 7th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I am pulling for this guy huge!

ande
September 20th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I had a nice conversation with Eric Shanteau at the Swim Center on Friday Sep 18 & he sent me this note. I decided to support Eric with his LiveStrong challenge i'm just thrilled that his cancer is behind him:

Dear Friends and Family,

My name is Eric Shanteau and as you may know I have been a swimmer most my life. The sport is a major part of my identity; however, last summer just weeks before I competed in the Beijing Olympic Games, I was given a new identity that I will carry with me the rest of my life. I am a cancer survivor.

I was diagnosed with testicular cancer on June 19, 2008. After a successful
surgery, I have thankfully been cancer free since September 15, 2008. After
defeating cancer, I returned to the water and have since become a World Record Holder, American Record Holder, and a World Champion. I have also teamed up with the Lance Armstrong Foundation in the global fight against cancer.

If you are not aware, the LAF seeks to inspire and empower people affected by cancer, and through the LIVESTRONG Challange, Im picking a fight with cancer and uniting with others who are interested in making cancer a global priority. This year I will be taking to the road at the LIVESTRONG Challenge Summit in Austin, TX on October 25, 2009. On this day I am going to race my bike 90 miles to show that once again, I had cancer, it never had me.

I need you to join me in this effort and help me raise $5,000 for the fight
against cancer. Your support will mean a lot to me and the millions of people
worldwide who will be diagnosed with cancer this year. Any contributions can be made online through my website at:
http://www.ericshanteau.net/ericshanteau.net/Livestrong.html

Please help me in making a difference for the 28 million people worldwide who
are living with cancer. Thank you in advance for your generous contributions. I am looking forward to continuing to help make an impact both in and out of the pool.

Sincerely

Eric Shanteau
http://www.ericshanteau.net
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1501421263&ref=profile

ande
November 18th, 2009, 02:34 PM
20 Question Tuesday with Eric Shanteau (http://tr.im/0911sn20es)

Lump
November 18th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I remember Eric when he was just a 14-15 yr. old superstar in the Gwinnett County Summer League. I coached a summer league team for 4-years and had a few "year round studs" of my own, but Eric was always the man at county.

swimshark
November 19th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I remember Eric when he was just a 14-15 yr. old superstar in the Gwinnett County Summer League. I coached a summer league team for 4-years and had a few "year round studs" of my own, but Eric was always the man at county.

Who did he swim for? I swam with GCSL when I was younger.

swimcat
November 19th, 2009, 08:34 AM
he is a swim atlanta alum

Lump
November 19th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Who did he swim for? I swam with GCSL when I was younger.

I forget which summer league team he was on (neighborhood team), I coached at Rivershyre and had a few of his Swim Atlanta Teammates on our team.

Year round though he swam for Swim Atlanta and Chris Davis.

I swam in the GCSL from like 78'-89' and my Dad was President one year

ande
May 31st, 2010, 08:21 PM
May 28th 2010
The Morning Swim Show Eric Shanteau on Preparation for Nationals (http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/24233.asp?q=<i>The%20Morning%20Swim%20Show</i>,%20May%2028,%202010:%20Eric%20Shanteau%20on%20Pre paration%20for%20Nationals)

tjburk
June 1st, 2010, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the update Ande...glad to hear he is doing well...

ande
October 6th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Shanteau in the news:

U.S. swimmer continues fight against cancer (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/story/2011-10-05/eric-shanteau-fundraiser/50671080/1)

Swim For Your Life (http://www.shanteauopenwater.com) .

want2beafish
October 6th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Shanteau in the news:

U.S. swimmer continues fight against cancer (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/story/2011-10-05/eric-shanteau-fundraiser/50671080/1)

Swim For Your Life (http://www.shanteauopenwater.com) .

Last year was the inaugural Swim For Your Life event, and it was great. This year will likely be bigger and even better!

tjburk
October 13th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the update Ande!!!