PDA

View Full Version : Masters Help

HAPPD
July 16th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Hello, I am a newer master swimmer with a High School and AAU swimming background. This year I have gotten back in the pool with Masters and Lifeguarding. I have been asked to run a few practices for the masters group.
I would appreciate any advice or direction on doing so. Is there any publications that might help me ? Thanks HAPPD

Brian Stack
July 16th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Take a look at the Workouts Forum, there you'll find practices posted by three coaches, and an archive of past practices. You'll also find that each coach has posted a summary of their terminology and coaching philosophy.
A number of coaches are regulars on the forums, so feel free to ask.
Good luck, and have fun.

haffathot
July 17th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Brian's right. But might I suggest that before you consider regular practices, you learn your swimmers? Evaluate their skills and their aims. Make practices up accordingly.

--Sean

Brian Stack
July 17th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Brian's right. But might I suggest that before you consider regular practices, you learn your swimmers? Evaluate their skills and their aims. Make practices up accordingly.

--Sean
Excellent point! Coaching Masters swimmers requires a multi-disciplinary approach. Be open to learning from the folks in the pool too. The team will appreciate the time you invest in them.

haffathot
July 17th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Thanks! It's just that Master's swimmers aren't like age group swimmers. Master's swimmers may be ex-age group swimmers and be looking for a challenge for challenge's sake, may be non-swimming-specific fitness enthusiasts looking for an intense workout, may be fitness hopefuls looking for a low-impact workout on the doctor's orders, probably include some triathletes looking to improve just their freestyle technique and speed, may be swimming novices or students looking to learn as much and as many competitive strokes as they can, likely includes some people looking for a social outlet, and they may even be a group of people looking to take some time from their busy work week to compete in a team sport.

You could come up with an outstanding workout geared to making the team fighting fit for every meet you have optimistically scheduled, and they may in turn despise you for it. You've got to know your team.

--Sean

Old Navy
July 27th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Take a look at the Workouts Forum, there you'll find practices posted by three coaches, and an archive of past practices. You'll also find that each coach has posted a summary of their terminology and coaching philosophy.
A number of coaches are regulars on the forums, so feel free to ask.
Good luck, and have fun.

The workout forum is definitely a good place to start. While in the process of learning your swimmers, print some of the workouts and just make them available for the swimmers to use.

Also play with the posted workouts to shape them to the needs of your team. Alter the sets (distance, reps, or intervals) to allow multiple skill levels to have the same focus during the workout while allowing all to work at an appropriate level.

ViveBene
July 27th, 2008, 11:05 AM
For groups of extremely mixed skills, it's useful to find scalable sets such that all the swimmers will be through a set at the same time. (I do 75% of what the better swimmers do in my group, and that seems to work out.)

Coaching a group of extremely mixed swimmers will test you. Some will be training for meets, others just for fitness and may not be competent in all the strokes. I think if you pick a theme, such as "today is IM day" or "today is endurance training day," then work within the theme to set up individualized sets while at the same time making the theme coherent in the larger view of things, within the week-over-week, month-over-month training program, that would be a good approach. :2cents:

I would also look at the sets put up by JMiller, (S)he-Man, Ande, and other forumites for scalability. For a mixed group, their being able to remember what they are supposed to do next is key!

Good luck!

VB

Hello, I am a newer master swimmer with a High School and AAU swimming background. This year I have gotten back in the pool with Masters and Lifeguarding. I have been asked to run a few practices for the masters group.
I would appreciate any advice or direction on doing so. Is there any publications that might help me ? Thanks HAPPD