PDA

View Full Version : Shopping swim stuff on-line

SwimSF
July 17th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I won't ever buy anything from Metro Swim Shop and I really hope that no one has to go through what I went through. I ordered a swim parka on-line from them and they canceled my order for no apperant reason. After talking to rude customer service and having them told me that my order had been cancel, I ordered another one from swim200 shop. It was great. Three weeks later I got a parka from Metro Swim shop and also find out that they charge my credit card twice. Now I am stuck with two parkas and a bunch of extra charge on my credit card and clueless customer service people on the phone.
Did anyone here order from them before? Do you also know a good website to order swimming things??

scyfreestyler
July 17th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Pretty sure Metro is where we get parkas and backpacks from. Never any issues. Hopefully an isolated incident. I suggest calling and talking to management, perhaps even getting this thread scrubbed. No sense in giving bad publicity until every option has been exercised.

anita
July 17th, 2008, 06:03 PM
www.keifer.com (http://www.keifer.com)
www.swim2000.com (http://www.swim2000.com)

Thankfully I have a great swim shop near me.

aquageek
July 17th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Yes, as tempting as it is to order from your computer, a good local swim shop is vastly superior. I have had great luck with Kiefer and Kast-A-Way in the past, both top shelf operations.

hofffam
July 17th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Yes, as tempting as it is to order from your computer, a good local swim shop is vastly superior. I have had great luck with Kiefer and Kast-A-Way in the past, both top shelf operations.

Vastly superior? If you're buying a commodity item, like most swimming stuff, I see no reason to drive to a store, spend money on gas, and pay higher prices. Lane 4 in Austin is a nice place, well stocked, but they are more expensive in store than they are online. A 10 mile drive each way is $4 of gas.

nyswimmer
July 17th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Vastly superior? If you're buying a commodity item, like most swimming stuff, I see no reason to drive to a store, spend money on gas, and pay higher prices. Lane 4 in Austin is a nice place, well stocked, but they are more expensive in store than they are online. A 10 mile drive each way is $4 of gas.

I try to avoid buying from online shops myself. I've had good luck with Kast-a-Way, but very bad luck with some others -- one charged my credit card for a pair of "prescription" goggles, that were on "indefinite back order" and never sent, after I cancelled the order. When I tried to get a refund, they said I had to talk to the manager who was always "out" and never returned calls (MasterCard reversed the charge, though). Fortunately, I found out that Paragon, which is just a couple of subway stops away, carries the goggles I need and I can get my swim suits at a store just a couple of blocks from me.

I would much rather buy from a local store where I can actually see what I'm buying and take it away myself. Most online shops are probably good, but you don't know which aren't until it's too late.

anita
July 17th, 2008, 07:40 PM

Sure, gas is an issue these days. The store by me is owned by a local family who coaches and supports youth swimming programs (the dad was a coach from another local team when I was a kid and still coaches there today and his kids coach and swim). When I have a question about a product/brand, they can answer it from the viewpoint of what works for their swimmers and the local swim teams. They have a twice yearly blow-out sale where I can stock up on the basics. And, best of all, they're really, really nice.
I would much prefer to support independent stores who give back to my community with my money. It's a personal choice.

aquageek
July 17th, 2008, 07:40 PM

Since I'm at the pool with the swim shop about 10 times a week there is no cost, plus I'm supporting the swim program and a local merchant.

tjrpatt
July 17th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I am so glad to live near Toad Hollow Athletics. That place is "da bomb"!

hofffam
July 17th, 2008, 09:07 PM
It's a personal choice.

Yes - this is the key point. I don't like to drive to shop if I can help it. That means just about everything - not just swimming stuff. And if I just need another pair of Vanquisher goggles or a pull buoy I'll just order it.

If I need to try a new pair of goggles I will try them on - and if I find a pair I like I'll buy them there (at the local store).

SwimSF
July 18th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Pretty sure Metro is where we get parkas and backpacks from. Never any issues. Hopefully an isolated incident. I suggest calling and talking to management, perhaps even getting this thread scrubbed. No sense in giving bad publicity until every option has been exercised.

It might be isolated incident and I am not saying otherwise but I am having a bad experience and actually found a few reviews on-line that say the same things http://www.insiderpages.com/b/15239802758
I should have done more research before I ordered and just want to share that with you guys.
I am expecting a call from them tomorrow and hopefully I can put this all behind me.

USMSarah
July 18th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I won't ever buy anything from Metro Swim Shop and I really hope that no one has to go through what I went through. I ordered a swim parka on-line from them and they canceled my order for no apperant reason. After talking to rude customer service and having them told me that my order had been cancel, I ordered another one from swim200 shop. It was great. Three weeks later I got a parka from Metro Swim shop and also find out that they charge my credit card twice. Now I am stuck with two parkas and a bunch of extra charge on my credit card and clueless customer service people on the phone.
Did anyone here order from them before? Do you also know a good website to order swimming things??

I would call Metro back up and tell them to fix the problem asap. If they do not I would file a complaint with the BBB and hopefully they will perk up and help you the right way. Write a lengthy letter, being detailed and use names if you have any....

Order from www.kastawayswimwear.com - they have some really great people there. You would not experience issues like your above issue. They just updated their website and are still working out the kinks... it should be finished soon.

imspoiled
July 18th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Swimoutlet.com has always been great for me. Recently, I placed an order and called the next day to add another small item. They weren't able to add to my original order because it was already packaged for shipping, but they did offer to send me the additional item and waive the shipping charge. My items are always delivered quickly (and I use the cheap shipping option) even though I live on the opposite coast from the store.

Ripple
July 18th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Sure, gas is an issue these days. The store by me is owned by a local family who coaches and supports youth swimming programs (the dad was a coach from another local team when I was a kid and still coaches there today and his kids coach and swim)...I would much prefer to support independent stores who give back to my community with my money. It's a personal choice.
I shop at Swimco for much the same reason - they sponsor meets and open water swims. Mind you, all I ever buy are goggles, so they aren't exactly getting rich from me, but it's the principle.

cwilson
July 18th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Swimoutlet (http://www.swimoutlet.com/?Click=644159) is my fav...we don't have anything closer than 30 minutes and the prices are more expensive anyway. The selection at swimoutlet is great and they often have sales and free shipping offers.

cowsvils
July 18th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I am so glad to live near Toad Hollow Athletics. That place is "da bomb"!

Toad Hollow is a pretty good store, my high school coach actually owns it so I get some nice discounts on tech suits there ^_^. Even with the discount though, swimoutlet still might be a little bit cheaper.

Allen Stark
July 18th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I love kastaway and swimoutlet.I am not near any swim shops and i have had only good results from both of them.

SwimStud
July 18th, 2008, 11:44 PM
I ordered from Metro Swim Shop but I've not recieved half an order from a month ago. I've called twice, trying to find out if I am going to get the product etc. They just don't follow up on anything and you have to do all the legwork if there's an issue.