PDA

View Full Version : I need blood lactate test protocols

spudfin
July 19th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Greetings
I have been studying the use of blood lactate levels as they relate to swim training for a number of months now. Jan Olbrechts book has been a great resource for understanding the values and utilizing the data. My question is directed to any coach or athlete that could provide me with a formal testing protocol that they have used in the past as well as advice on starting and maintaining a program for our senior age group swimmers.
Thanks in advance for any comments or direction on this topic.
Regards
Spudfin

ehoch
July 19th, 2008, 11:59 AM
There are 2 tests that the German National team (WEST) used in the 80s.

300s long-course:

Startet at 1:30 pace = 4:30 and then dropped 15 seconds on each round - you can start slower - the first 2-3 rounds should be super slow and easy. 30 seconds rest where they took heartrate and lactate from the ear. go until failure or max . Some places had a lightband at the bottom of the pool that they could set up to the exact pace for each round - but the pacing was not too difficult. After a base test we would repeat every 4 weeks. You get a nice chart and you can see the curve moving to the right (hopefully).

We would get very precise pacing instructions for threshold sets based on the results.

Max Test long-course (did that test much later but on the same day) : 100 Free trying to go 1:02 (for Men) -- not sure why they picked that time - maybe just to get a baseline of going fast but not all-out. Take HR and Lactate on 1 min, 3 min, 5 and 7 --- then do the same with an All-out 100.

I would recommend to get some sort of heart rate measuring device for the breaks - the finger + counting is just too unreliable.

Just a word of warning - be ready to get questioned by your swimmers if they train for 2 month and do not improve - I believe that is the reason many coaches don't do standard sets as test sets.

ALM
July 19th, 2008, 10:50 PM
The Kansas City Blazers do it several times per year. You can contact their coaches through their web site, www.kcblazers.com