PDA

View Full Version : Body Suits

Yingfa Australia
July 19th, 2008, 11:08 PM
I have been advised that swimmers at the USA Masters was the first swimming meet where swimmers wore body suits in about 1997 to 1999. If anyone has any photos of the use of these suits , could you email a copy to me. As well if you could list the date and the event the costumes were worn at.
Speedo has commenced Legal proceedings against YingFa Australia stating that the Body Suit was Speedo's innovation in the year 2000. Actually Addidas had the first body suit in about 1998 and I have been advised that the USA Masters Swimming was the first swimming meet where these sort of costumes were trialed. In fact swimmers have been using neck to knee costumes since 1992.
Pentlands Group whom operate from the United Kingdom , owns the "Speedo" name . "Speedo" is not an Australian Company. "Speedo" has been taking proceedings agaist small operators , in an attempt to eradicate these small operators. In a similar attempt Speedo commenced a similiar action against a Spanish manfacturer called " ASAFE S.L.. Judge Dona Pilar Ledesma Ibanez, of the Court of First Instance in Barcelona held that ASAFE did not infringe Speedo's patents and Designs.
The Court held " In its generality , this description is so vague that it would be fitting to state that the garment manufactured by Asafe conforms to the criteria of the registered industrial model , but then so might other swimsuits manufactured by third companies , which advertise their garments in the catalogues and other material submitted by the defendent in the documentation reviewed "
Anyone who can assist myself , it would be appreciated.
David McCabe
Yingfa Australia
sales@yingfa.com.au

geochuck
July 19th, 2008, 11:31 PM
In the 1940 all of the male senior swimmers in our club the Hamilton Aquatic Club wore swim suits made of rayon and later nylon, that covered from the upper thigh and went over the shoulders. They did not cover the legs or arms. Now it depends on what you mean by a body suit. I know there are lots of pictures of these suits. I will try and get some if they help. Here is Johhny W in one that was simmilar.

heydavis
July 20th, 2008, 10:17 AM
How about these good looking guys?

http://www.usms.org/swimgold/pix/toc3897.jpg

knelson
July 20th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Imagine how much Speedo will start charging for their suits if they manage to drive all the other manufacturers out.

Yingfa Australia
July 22nd, 2008, 09:39 AM
To Kirk Nelson,
Thankyou for your photo . It will assist with my case.
David McCabe

Yingfa Australia
July 22nd, 2008, 09:43 AM
Sorry, Thankyou Steve for the photo.
To Kirk
Speedo does not want any opposition and then they can charge what they want !
David McCabe

Yingfa Australia
July 22nd, 2008, 09:46 AM
To Steve,
Sorry one more question , which good looking bloke is yourself in the photo.
David McCabe

heydavis
July 22nd, 2008, 11:29 AM
David,

I'm not one of them. Just found the pic while Googling images of the search topic.

Steve

jim clemmons
July 22nd, 2008, 12:00 PM
Richard Bassi, third from the left, from The Olympic Club.

cantwait4bike
July 22nd, 2008, 12:13 PM
Speedo is struggling so this isn't a surprise. Their triathlon wear is so bad nobody wears it. Athletes on Team USA made such a stink about the lousy quality and design of the Speedo stuff, that USAT was forced to go out and get two other manufactures (Tyr & Desoto).

Yingfa Australia
July 23rd, 2008, 06:24 AM
To Jim,
Thankyou for your help.
David McCabe

Yingfa Australia
July 23rd, 2008, 08:08 AM
To Cantwait4bike,
Speedo would be struggling if it was a single company. However when Speedo was a Australian owned company , it was suffering severe financial problems and the receivers sold the business to a British Company called Pentlands Group Plc which is owned by the Rubin family's investment firm, Robert Stephen Holdings. Pentlands owns Berghaus, Ellesse, Kangaroos,mitre and one true saxon as well the worldwide footwear license for the Lacoste brand. At a recent meeting Speedo advised they would be willing to spend a alot of money to protect their name. I believe Yingfa products are entirely different to Speedo's patents and designs . Therefore if anyone can assist a poor individual struggling against the might of a Multi-National company , with copies of the photos and anyhing else you can provide , it would be very much appreciated ,
David McCabe

geochuck
July 23rd, 2008, 08:45 AM
Here are some pictures of the 1936 British Swimmers in Berlin http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.renewableway.org.uk/people/family/NW-pics_files/image003.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.renewableway.org.uk/people/family/NW-pics.html&h=250&w=356&sz=15&hl=en&start=54&um=1&tbnid=byfm8DK5EkaoKM:&tbnh=85&tbnw=121&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpictures%2B1936%2Bolympic%2Bswimmers% 26start%3D36%26ndsp%3D18%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rls% 3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7ADBR%26sa%3DN

If you look here you will see swimwear worn as far back as 1903. http://waterpoloideas.blogspot.com/2007_06_01_archive.html

The picture below is from 1929.

ViveBene
July 23rd, 2008, 12:18 PM
Can you get copies of the "catalogues and other materials submitted by the defendant"?

Unfortunately, broad-brush claims are not uncommon and frequently ridiculous (NetFlicks sued a company for stealing the idea of a return envelope; a car manufacturer sued Hummer for stealing the grill design of "seven upright thingies," which also happens to be the design of the front entrance of U.S. Supreme Court building, whose architect probably was influenced by the Parthenon). You do have to defend. Sorry I don't have pictures.

... Speedo commenced a similiar action against a Spanish manfacturer called " ASAFE S.L.. Judge Dona Pilar Ledesma Ibanez, of the Court of First Instance in Barcelona held that ASAFE did not infringe Speedo's patents and Designs.
The Court held " In its generality , this description is so vague that it would be fitting to state that the garment manufactured by Asafe conforms to the criteria of the registered industrial model , but then so might other swimsuits manufactured by third companies , which advertise their garments in the catalogues and other material submitted by the defendent in the documentation reviewed "

sales@yingfa.com.au