PDA

View Full Version : USMS Wanna Be

brenda
July 21st, 2008, 02:58 PM
Hello:

My goal is to join a Masters Swimming group (Ann Arbor, Michigan) but before doing so, I want to "prepare" myself. I have done some reading relevant to what goes on at a swim practice (and did a little bit of AAU swimming as a kid--a long, long time ago). Right now I can swim a mile (freestyle), which is what the Ann Arbor group requires, but from what I have read, the swimming practices are much more intense than just swimming a mile. I would welcome any advise anyone might offer regarding what I should be able to do as an "entry level" swimmer. My goal is to get in shape (I am 52 years old and overweight)--I am not necessarily interested in competion and have set a goal of one year to get myself ready to join the swimming group.

Thanks

Brenda

brenda
July 21st, 2008, 03:00 PM
Hello:

My goal is to join a Masters Swimming group (Ann Arbor, Michigan) but before doing so, I want to "prepare" myself. I have done some reading relevant to what goes on at a swim practice (and did a little bit of AAU swimming as a kid--a long, long time ago). Right now I can swim a mile (freestyle), which is what the Ann Arbor group requires, but from what I have read, the swimming practices are much more intense than just swimming a mile. I would welcome any advise anyone might offer regarding what I should be able to do as an "entry level" swimmer. My goal is to get in shape (I am 52 years old and overweight)--I am not necessarily interested in competion and have set a goal of one year to get myself ready to join the swimming group.

Thanks

Brenda
I hope I have sent this message properly!

smontanaro
July 21st, 2008, 03:10 PM
Brenda,

I doubt you need to do much to prepare. In my experience most, if not all, USMS clubs welcome any and all people. The team I'm swimming with at the moment uses all eight lanes of a 50m pool. Lane 1 is full of very slow swimmers. In contrast, I could never conceive of swimming as fast as the people in lane 8. When I started I had been swimming a bit at the local Y, but never more than 2000 yards. I jumped in and just worked my way up both in yardage and speed.

I suggest you just contact one or two USMS clubs in your area and pick one to try out.

Skip

brenda
July 21st, 2008, 03:57 PM
Thank you. After I sent my email I got in the pool to swim and it occured to me that I ought to just go over to the group while they are swimming and see what they are doing and maybe talk to the coach.

swimshark
July 21st, 2008, 04:37 PM
I promise we don't bite. Just go say hi and find out more about the group. I bet they will welcome you with open arms. And most of all, enjoy yourself. Masters is fun as well as hard work.

tjburk
July 21st, 2008, 04:46 PM
Just what ever you do.....don't believe a word you read on here!!!!!

And only half of what you see!!!!!! JK

Wilkommen auf Master's Schwimmink!!:groovy::woot:

jgale
July 21st, 2008, 06:11 PM
I agree. Most groups welcome a variety of swimmers of all abilities. I am an ex-runner with a bad knee who is a relative newcomer to swimming. I was intimidated about joining our local master's group after taking adult stroke lessons. The coach recognized me from having taken our son to swimming lessons and later the local USA swimming team. She encouraged me to give it a try. I started in the first lane and worked my way up. It is much more fun swimming with a group then it is swimming alone.

I like your idea of stopping by the pool to observe the group in action. It is the best way to get a sense of how the team operates.

Swimmy
July 21st, 2008, 06:54 PM
Good luck and Welcome to Masters Swimming. Try out a few different teams to see what you like best. You may want to see about working with a private instructor to help you with the strokes. Working out with a team is definitely more fun than doing it on your own. I have great friends that I met through Masters.
Have fun! If you are ever in MD come join us....www.terrapinmasters.org
:cheerleader:
Swimmy

pwolf66
July 21st, 2008, 07:10 PM
Brenda,

I would go visit a practice, talk to the coach, get an idea for what the overall team atmosphere is. If you find that it's one that you feel comfortable with, I would talk to the coach about joining immediately (or even ask if you could swim a couple of times as a try out), the only way to get in swimming shape is to swim and if you're going to swim, why not swim with other folks who have been where you are now and can help you get where you want to go?

basically, my recommendation is don't wait. Join the team, start in the slowest lane and if necessary at the end of the lane, take it slow, do what you can and if you have to sit some of a workout or change the stroke or what not, then do it. It's Masters, you CAN do that you know :banana:

Welcome to the forums!!! Happy swimming.

waves101
July 22nd, 2008, 10:11 AM
Don Swalwell is the coach of the Ann Arbor Masters. He's a great guy and he'll help you out. Forget about waiting a year ('cause really, that's just an excuse), get there and start swimming now. In a year you'll be wondering why you were apprehensive. I look forward to seeing you at a few meets. Remember, they are social events and we get to swim, too. In masters, the competition is only what you make it. It's really just fun.