PDA

View Full Version : Questions for my 6 year old boy diving

glin930
July 21st, 2008, 03:29 PM
My 6 yr old son has been joining the swim team for about 8 months now. He is doing well and enjoys the swimming. However I notice that he always take at least one second after gun (or go) then dive to the water. The coach has been telling him many times and he is still doing that. Is there any drill I can help him to correct this? When he is doing back stroke he does not has this problem.

He is now still doing both hands out diving instead of holding the block diving. I guess this will take time for him to learn this.

I am new to this board and welcome any suggestion.

Thanks

aquageek
July 21st, 2008, 03:52 PM
At 6 just be proud that he's swimming, diving will come in no time. Or, get some very mild mannered private lessons from a teen kid he admires at the pool.

That Guy
July 21st, 2008, 03:53 PM
Heh, I wouldn't try this with a 6 year old, but your question reminds me of this: someone stands behind the swimmer holding a kickboard like a baseball bat. Coach calls "take your mark... go" and the batter swings... if the kickboard hits the swimmer in the rear, they're too slow.

In fact... that's the nice version... now I'm remembering all sorts of terrible things we used to do... :doh:

matysekj
July 21st, 2008, 03:59 PM
However I notice that he always take at least one second after gun (or go) then dive to the water.

Don't worry about it. Rob Copeland still takes this long to get off the blocks at age 50 or so.:bolt:

Seriously, it will come with time (unless your son's name is Rob).

cwilson
July 28th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Heh, I wouldn't try this with a 6 year old, but your question reminds me of this: someone stands behind the swimmer holding a kickboard like a baseball bat. Coach calls "take your mark... go" and the batter swings... if the kickboard hits the swimmer in the rear, they're too slow.

In fact... that's the nice version... now I'm remembering all sorts of terrible things we used to do... :doh:

That's priceless...and I bet it would work!

Qwerty
July 28th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Maybe it is a strategy. Michael Phelps could do it and really mess with heads.
His name isn't Rob, is it?

Rob Copeland
July 28th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Don't worry about it. Rob Copeland still takes this long to get off the blocks at age 50 or so.:bolt:

And Iíve been swimming for 45 years.

I agree with Geek, be proud that he is swimming and let him know it. Also, let the coach work with him on fixing the start. Our job as parents is to let the coach be the coach and Iím sure the coach will let us be the parent. It took me a while for me to catch on to this but once I stopped coaching my kids, Iíve learned to enjoy their accomplishments.

ensignada
July 28th, 2008, 11:59 PM
I think kids get the diving thing at their own pace - the motivation/courage to throw yourself headfirst into the water has to come from within. I'd stay away from it and let the coaches be the heavies.

The absolute cutest start I saw this summer was a little girl who got into racing start position and then at the horn, stood up, held her nose and jumped in!

Syd
July 29th, 2008, 12:42 AM
The absolute cutest start I saw this summer was a little girl who got into racing start position and then at the horn, stood up, held her nose and jumped in!

That's a great story!

Rykno
July 29th, 2008, 04:28 AM
one good thing about being slow off the blocks in the begining is that the day he reacts quickly he will most likely get all kinds of personal best.

but like everyone has said, let the coaching staff work with him. when I was 6-8yrs old, not only did I have my coach and my parents pushing me, but the lifeguard that taught me to swim kept giving me tips, when I was at the pool on my free time.

glin930
July 29th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Thanks for all the advise. His coach knows about this but he did not want to push him much at his age on diving. His coach spent more time on correcting his stroke. My son is very competitive and he knows this is his weakness along with his breast stroke and he always try hard on both. His swimming times is 44 to 45s in 50M free, 1:42 to 1:43 in 100M free, 51s in 50M back, 1:58 in 100M back, 55 to 57s in 50M FLY; 1:10 in 50M BR. As a dad I am very proud of his accomplishment at his age.

Warren
July 29th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks for all the advise. His coach knows about this but he did not want to push him much at his age on diving. His coach spent more time on correcting his stroke. My son is very competitive and he knows this is his weakness along with his breast stroke and he always try hard on both. His swimming times is 44 to 45s in 50M free, 1:42 to 1:43 in 100M free, 51s in 50M back, 1:58 in 100M back, 55 to 57s in 50M FLY; 1:10 in 50M BR. As a dad I am very proud of his accomplishment at his age.

Thoes are some good times for a 6 year old. What are his times in the 25's?

cwilson
July 29th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Those are great times for a 6 year old (and only swimming 8 months!)

I just checked USASwimming.org and it looks like he has a few "B" times and one "BB" time in the 10 and under boy age group. I was assuming he was swimming in a 50M pool...

I know you must be totally psyched by his achievements, but I agree with some of the others. Just hang tight and be patient...and most of all enjoy watching him. He'll only be this age once.

I remember the first time my son (at age 8) swam the 100Y IM...He stopped between the fly and back to adjust his goggles which had filled with water. PRICELESS...

He now knows to keep swimming even if his jammer is left in the wake behind him, but, it still makes me smile to remember that.

lefty
July 30th, 2008, 11:38 AM
My guess: Your son is not making the connection between "gun goes off," and "race starts." For whatever reason his start of the race signal is something else, PROBABLY seeing his fellow competitors move. So tell him not to focus on that. OF course it will take time to extinquish the behavior.

glin930
July 31st, 2008, 05:23 PM
My 6 yr old practiced in a 20YD pool not in a 50M pool. Once a week from May to July the coach will bring the team to a 25M or 50M pool to practice for preparing the summer LCM meets. His 25YD times back in March 2008: 25YD Free 18.87; 50 YD free 41.78; 25YD back 22.67; 50YD back 50.73; 25YD breast 27.80; 25YD Fly 22.23. He got overall 2nd high point award for 6 and under. He got a big trophy. He loves swimming and also likes to hangs out with the teammate teasing & joking ... etc. He is the youngest one in his team but he likes to beat those older kids. I am sure one day he knows how to use internet he will like to read this blog.