PDA

View Full Version : Open Water Swimming in Utah?

JGreen
July 21st, 2008, 05:48 PM
Does anyone know of any open water swimming groups/workouts/races in Utah? I am a former high school swimmer and water polo player that is now more into triathlon and open water swimming.

I just entered the Deer Creek Open Water Marathon Swim next month (just the 5k, I'm not quite ready for 10k or 10 miles yet). My brother and I are planning on taking a trip to San Francisco next summer to swim Alcatraz. We usually swim at at Jordanelle and Echo reservoirs and usually go on Saturday mornings when we can.

Are there any other open water/distance swimmers in Utah out there? There are so many great lakes and reservoirs to swim in here, I'm just curious how much interest there is in the sport.

Sasquatch
April 17th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I hope you still get this, I just found your post from last summer. You and your brother were looking for other open water races in Utah. I wish I knew of other races, so far Deer Creek is the only one I've found out about. I've talked with a few friends about teaming up on triathlons as a team but other than that I'm not sure of any other distance swimming races around here. I swam for a year in High School, but decided I needed to focus on basketball instead so gave it up. I got back into it a few years ago and am now looking for some opportunities myself, not to compete with other racers as much as to challenge myself. I'm planning on the 10 k at Deer Creek this summer, but I'd like to join you and your brother for training if you're still going to do it this year. let me know

Jared

JGreen
April 18th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Hey Jared,

I'm glad that after a year I got one reply to my post! I'm not sure when we are going to start swimming in open water this year (the water is still really cold right now) but I will let you know when we do.

I just recently started a website for open water swimming in Utah. You can find it at http://www.utahopenwater.com

I am hoping to get a group of people together for some open water swimming on the weekends this summer. I've talked to a few people at swimming clinics I've been to recently that seemed interested. I will post the dates, times, and locations on the website.

That's awesome that you are going to do the 10K at Deer Creek! I did the 5K last year and might try the 10K this year (I haven't been swimming as much as I should lately though...)

Josh

ViveBene
April 20th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Thanks for reviving this thread. I've added Deer Creek to this list of OW freshwater swims for 2009: 2009 OW Freshwater Swims - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums and will be happy to add more events if you'd like to post them here or PM me. They don't have to be sanctioned; community swims are fine.

Thanks.

Dennis Tesch
June 17th, 2009, 11:01 PM
There is a group of masters swimmers swimming Dear Creek at least once a week. They either go on the Wednesday or Friday morning around 6 am. They typically determine the day and time at Monday morning workout.

JGreen
June 18th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the head's up Dennis. I just joined Master's last week and am going to start swimming at Fairmont in the mornings.
Is there anyway to get looped into what day this group decides to swim? Is there an email list or something? I would love to join them.

Josh