PDA

View Full Version : Need Suggestions

kirktriplett
July 22nd, 2008, 09:59 AM
Hey Everyone! My 14 year old son just started swimming this year on a team. He is 6'2" and made great strides. He began the year with a 37 second 50yd freestyle and posted a 28 second at the end of the year. Anyway, there are no local clubs in Belen New Mexico or Los Lunas New Mexico. It would seem to have him training year round I would have to travel over thirty miles one way! Not possible with the economy. Anyway, if anyone out there lives in or around Belen, New Mexico and have any suggestions, please help! He loves swimming and I want to see him succeed. Thanks!

kirk

elise526
July 22nd, 2008, 10:33 AM
Hey Everyone! My 14 year old son just started swimming this year on a team. He is 6'2" and made great strides. He began the year with a 37 second 50yd freestyle and posted a 28 second at the end of the year. Anyway, there are no local clubs in Belen New Mexico or Los Lunas New Mexico. It would seem to have him training year round I would have to travel over thirty miles one way! Not possible with the economy. Anyway, if anyone out there lives in or around Belen, New Mexico and have any suggestions, please help! He loves swimming and I want to see him succeed. Thanks!

kirk

I don't live in the Belen area but have known swimmers that have dealt with a similar issue. One HS gal who ultimately swam for a Div. I school joined up with a club 60 miles away. The coach was understanding of the difficulties in traveling the distance each day, so he wrote her up the workouts to do at the local pool and she traveled to the club to train twice a week.

If you have a pool nearby, maybe you could work out a similar arrangement with the coach of a club that is over 30 miles away. I'm sure with the kind of talent your son has that a coach would be happy to work with you.

kirktriplett
July 22nd, 2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks. The only pools we have are two HS pools that aren't open year round, neither of them are indoors. I am looking into some drylamd work-outs and hoping to get him once or twice a week in the pool during the winter. Thanks so much!