PDA

View Full Version : Need help/advice

hermsta
July 22nd, 2008, 01:25 PM
I am a breaststroker, and currently am the best one on my team, so my coach has high expectations. I have qualified in 100 and 200 breast for a big elitist meet called TAGS (Texas Age Group Swimming)... I think the time qualification for that is like a quad A or something. Anyway, this meet starts tomorrow, and I have been getting a left groin pain when I do breastroke lately. PERFECT timing. Pain right before a huge meet. My events don't start until Saturday and Sunday, but I still have the 400 and 200 medley relay earlier on and I'm doing breaststroke in those relays.

I have had groin pains before when doing breastroke, but that was about 2 years ago. Now they are back before a big meet... I also get the pain when I flipturn and put more weight on my left leg. And it also hurts slightly when I kick in backstroke.

I need advice on what to do/how to ease the pain the best until I have to swim breaststroke in a few days. I'm using a heating pad and taking ibprofen. Any advice from people who are breastrokers/have experienced this before will be appreciated!

ande
July 22nd, 2008, 05:12 PM
I've had groin pain before from kicking breastroke
It's painful, definitely not fun

sometimes my pains would linger for a few days
sometimes as long as a week
I know breastrokers who have had chronic pain
some have had to quit swimming

Rest is the best remedy
don't kick any breast for a few days
then after resting a day or few
try gentle kicking
if it hurts stop
if it doesn't slowly build intensity
if it hurts at any point stop
don't do too much

advil and motrin might lessen the pain
but they won't correct the problem

plus I have no idea about the severity of what you're experiencing NOW

so you need to
1) let your coach know
2) let your parents know and
3) see a doctor

Follow their advice

Matthew Lowe at UT has had groin issues as well as Christian Schurr

Reinjury is a common and serious issue
if you do too much too soon it can happen

be able to separate from training fatigue pain from muscle pull pain

Groin Injuries are the kind of thing that can get worse and become more painful if you ignore it and try to be tough

once you rest long enough (days, weeks, or months )
the pain should go away

once you're better
there's
1) physical therapy rehab
2) strength training
3) stretching
4) doing plenty of warm up before you begin kicking and
5) not doing too much in any practice

be REAL clued into how groin pain feels at first before it gets worse

bottomline is work with your doctor, coach and parents
plus if you feel muscle pull pain coming on
stop kicking breastroke
it's a stitch in time could save nine

you might not be able to
+ push off the wall as hard
+ do leg exercises or
+ run

be careful
you could injure yourself away from the pool
Don't do stupid stuff
When you're injured the list of stupid stuff gets longer

work with your doctor and coach
hope it gets better soon

good luck

Ande

I am a breaststroker, and currently am the best one on my team, so my coach has high expectations. I have qualified in 100 and 200 breast for a big elitist meet called TAGS (Texas Age Group Swimming)... I think the time qualification for that is like a quad A or something. Anyway, this meet starts tomorrow, and I have been getting a left groin pain when I do breastroke lately. PERFECT timing. Pain right before a huge meet. My events don't start until Saturday and Sunday, but I still have the 400 and 200 medley relay earlier on and I'm doing breaststroke in those relays.

I have had groin pains before when doing breastroke, but that was about 2 years ago. Now they are back before a big meet... I also get the pain when I flipturn and put more weight on my left leg. And it also hurts slightly when I kick in backstroke.

I need advice on what to do/how to ease the pain the best until I have to swim breaststroke in a few days. I'm using a heating pad and taking ibprofen. Any advice from people who are breastrokers/have experienced this before will be appreciated!