PDA

View Full Version : What does it take to be a masters swimmer?

swim25
July 23rd, 2008, 02:59 AM
I am moving to a new town for school where swimming is not offered at the school and I need people to swim with other wise my workouts become bland and stale. I was wondering what are the parameters to joining a masters group. I have have only been "swimming" 5 days a week for 8 months. I can do a 50yd in 32 sec and a hundred in 1:15, not fast but I work hard. I think it would be extremely beneficial to my swimming and I could meet people who do the same thing I love to do.

new
July 23rd, 2008, 04:00 AM
those times arenīt that bad, 8 months!! :bow:

:roids:

pwolf66
July 23rd, 2008, 07:05 AM
Swim25,

All it takes is a desire to swim. Masters has a wide range of swimmers from those who swim for fitness to those who train for national meets. I'm sure that there is a lane with your name on it somewhere. So find a Masters team near you, talk to the coach and see if you can swim a couple of practices as a trial.

Welcome to the forum and happy swimming

Paul

aquageek
July 23rd, 2008, 09:59 AM
It takes a $30 check and the moral fortitude to ignore all of Stud's posts.

SwimStud
July 23rd, 2008, 10:03 AM

Please, if you promise to leave now I'll pay $60 in your name but you gotta stay gone :p

SwimStud
July 23rd, 2008, 10:06 AM
I am moving to a new town for school where swimming is not offered at the school and I need people to swim with other wise my workouts become bland and stale. I was wondering what are the parameters to joining a masters group. I have have only been "swimming" 5 days a week for 8 months. I can do a 50yd in 32 sec and a hundred in 1:15, not fast but I work hard. I think it would be extremely beneficial to my swimming and I could meet people who do the same thing I love to do.

It doesn't take anything. You swim at your own pace and for your own goals. Those times look like mine did back after a few months of training.
I trained alone for over a year, using help from here and some othe guides from various web pages.
At Zones, I went a 29 low for the 50 that season, and got my 100 down into the 1:10 area shortly after. I am sure if you go to a good meet you'll get a few "wow" swims!

Brian Stack
July 23rd, 2008, 11:28 AM
Swim25,

All it takes is a desire to swim. Masters has a wide range of swimmers from those who swim for fitness to those who train for national meets. I'm sure that there is a lane with your name on it somewhere. So find a Masters team near you, talk to the coach and see if you can swim a couple of practices as a trial.

Welcome to the forum and happy swimming

Paul
You'll also need to be at least 18 years of age.

thewookiee
July 23rd, 2008, 11:34 AM
and to be willing to put up with Geek's crankiness on the forum :drown:

taruky
July 23rd, 2008, 10:13 PM
When you guys list your 50 times, are you talking about off a dive or from a standstill? I'm 40 years-old and just started trying to swim seriously 2 months ago (up until then I was an infrequent casual swimmer and slowest swimmer in the world titleholder). I have been watching a lot of youtube video, lol. I haven't really had the opportunity to test the 50y long course freestyle yet, so my sprint times are all 25y from a standstill. My best time was 13 seconds.

I'm not sure how I would do in a 50, haven't tried it yet. I find that I am still paying so much attention to stroke form that just the concentration it requires wears me out. I'll forget to exhale because of trying to stay streamlined and high-elbowed. Is it a good idea to throw in the occassional sprints at this point in my development, or wait until the stroke is 2nd nature?

Glider
July 23rd, 2008, 10:24 PM
Plus one pool and one jump in...feet first, of course.

pwolf66
July 23rd, 2008, 10:31 PM
Generally times that are quoted are a dive start from a block. Most folks do indicate times that are not such as:

32 from a push - in water push off
28 flat start - generally from deck side
31 rolling start - time starts as the feet leave the wall

etc