PDA

View Full Version : How much should I taper.

SwimStud
July 23rd, 2008, 10:20 AM
I usually have been swimmng 3x a week for about 4k yards plus some saturday sprint sessions of about 1500 yard.

Over the summer at LC I 've been getting in 2.5-3k 5 times a week. I just had a vacation where I got no swimming in. I have the rest of this week and the next then it's 3weeks to zones.

Should I go for a 3 week plan or 2 week? Should I swim every day or not, and how much? I'm a 50,100 FR & 50,100,200 BR swimmer. Long FR and anything else is for fun and timekilling--so I don't taper with them in mind.

I've got a vague idea in my head like cutting by 500m a week until i'm down to the 1500-2000 mark, and getting my sprints in. Is that enough to cut or too little?

I don't really lift, run or bike, though I may try to do some bikes on the next two weeks. I'm not used to 5 nites a week so wanted to get some ideas.

Thanks

SwimStud
July 29th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Anyone?

Yes-
No-
Too much-
Too little-
Go away-

ande
July 29th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I'd answer but this wasn't asked in
ask ande (http://www.usms.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4418&page=47)

knelson
July 29th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Should I swim every day or not, and how much?

I would suggest continuing to swim the same number of sessions, but reduce the volume per session. Perhaps drop about 25% of your yardage the first week and another 25% (from the original volume) the second week.

BillS
July 29th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I've been trying to maintain 4 -5 days per week, 3,000 - 3,800 meters per hour and ten or fifteen minute swim, leading up to LCM Nats. All workouts are coached, interval based with competitive lane mates to push and pull me. I felt awfully broken down before taking last weekend off for a trip. I plan to taper 2 weeks before the event, focusing on speed. I'm swimming the 50, 100, 200, and 800 free and 100 breast.

I tapered one week before SCY Nats with good results. I had been swimming less frequently (3 - 4 days per week), but similar distance and workouts, leading up to Austin.

How do you feel? Tired? Beaten up? Or like you could do 6 days, but need a night or two of beer drinking and so reluctantly take a day off from the pool? If the switch to 5 days is taking its toll, maybe go 2 weeks or a week and a half using Kirk's suggestions. If you're feeling strong, and like you're building into it, maybe only one week.

I think three weeks is too long to maintain an edge with distances I'm going, which are similar to yours.

SwimStud
July 29th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Thanks all

I feel tired but not beaten down, just having the vacation recharged me. I feel very good right now...

Maybe I'll just edge off a little T-3rd week to allow some sprints and recovery
T-2nd week I'll drop the rest of the 25% as Kirk and sprint more
1Week out...50% lotsa rest..sprints, drills and race planning swims.

...I'll see what Ande says on "ask Ande"

rtodd
July 29th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I'm no expert but this is what I would do.

Volume should go down and intensity should go up two weeks out. Get the watch out and get some time trials in. Get some broken 100 and 200's in. I think one week out you should cut the total yardage as you suggest and should be focusing on practicing block starts with breast/free pullouts, turns, etc. Do some fast 25's with the correct kick. do easy active recovery. Two days out from the meet, back way off and let the body heal.

tomtopo
July 29th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Tapering depends upon how hard you're training and how long you need to recover. Most athletes don't need more than 8 to 10 days to recover from the most strenuous workout. If you haven't really torn down or stressed yourself too much a three day taper is about the minimum taper period. Tapering is about rest and recovery from stress so it can perform at a higher level. Your mental preparation is going to be more important the first time around so try to stay healthy and relaxed. Good luck, Coach T.