PDA

View Full Version : Do you compete in swim meets?

aztimm
July 25th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Please check one of the above choices. Do you compete in United States Masters Swimming-sanctioned (USMS) swim meets?

scyfreestyler
July 25th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Yes.

Thrashing Slug
July 25th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Yes. So far, only sprints (50 and 100 BR and FR). I also do triathlons though, so I should probably include distance events when I swim meets. This year was my first year doing meets, and I was struck by how fast the races are. It's almost not worth all the trouble, just for such a short race. I'm guessing that this attitude indicates I am not a true sprinter, and should focus more on distance. Pool distance hurts though... unlike triathlon swims which are more an exercise in navigation and tactics.

Treebox
July 25th, 2008, 02:44 PM
No meets. Open water races only. Meets take too long, too boring.

I'd much rather see how I hold up on an classic set during a workout.

geochuck
July 25th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I have not but intend to Augst 14th.

jim thornton
July 25th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I think you might get a skewed sample here--I suspect that those who bother to sign up for USMS are more likely to compete, and those that furthermore bother to post on this website and answer polls, etc., are even more likely to compete.

The rest of swimmers apparently have lives.

3strokes
July 25th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Please check one of the above choices. Do you compete in United States Masters Swimming-sanctioned (USMS) swim meets?

Ooops.
I answered the poll before reading your posted question.
USMS-sanctioned? No
I swim one meet (LCM in Ottawa) per year in Canada.

fanstone
July 26th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Same as 3strokes, I answered before reading the thing. I compete in my state in Brazil, around 6 meets a year. I also swim about 6 o.w. 1,000 meters meets per year.

Rykno
July 26th, 2008, 06:06 AM
I also answered the poll before reading the entire question.

I compete, just not in the US.