PDA

View Full Version : I hate the Taper

ehoch
July 25th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I enjoy working out, I love to swim, I like training for a specific meet - but I just hate tapering.

I hate not having the great feeling you get after a tough workout.

I don't like having to swim last in my lane when I usually lead and getting asked 20 times if you I want to go ahead.

I hate having to get out after 1/2 or 2/3 of the practice.

I don't want to worry about what and how much I eat, when I usually have to make sure I eat enough.

I dread hitting the taper low -- for me about 1 week into the taper and it can last up to 1 week -- your arms feel tired and sore when you know you have done nothing to cause this.

I don't like the waiting for feeling good in the water - day after day - probing your body during the short workout.

I hate the questions that go through your head - even after having done this so many times. Did you train enough - will the taper be too long - too short - can you really taper when you swim so much less ?

And then one day (hopefully before the meet) I jump in the pool and it starts to click. I feel good in warm up and the build sprints feel even better. I swim a pace 50 that feels effortless and just get a little smile on my face when I hit the wall in a time that would have required an all out sprint just 2 weeks ago. Finally the taper is over and the meet can start ....

ande
July 25th, 2008, 05:58 PM
excellent rant
i.m so ready to start training

The Fortress
July 25th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Yes!! Someone whinier than me about tapering.

USMSarah
July 25th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I don't like having to swim last in my lane when I usually lead and getting asked 20 times if you I want to go ahead.

OMG! I absolutely cannot stand it when this happens! People know you are faster than them but they still go ahead of you (I'm talking about non-taper days)! I'm so glad someone else said this because I was ready to explode at practice.

:frustrated:

james lucas
July 25th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Isn't it a bit early for a serious taper? It's eight days to the Southern Pacific regionals ... and 19+ days until the national LCM meet ...

Just wondering ...

swimshark
July 25th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Amen to that!! I haven't started my Nats taper yet but I know it's coming. Today the coaches were a bit lighter on us and I asked if we were tapering because I wanted an all-out practice. Sadly, I didn't get it and now I am dreading the taper I start after next week even more.

Paul Smith
July 25th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Isn't it a bit early for a serious taper? It's eight days to the Southern Pacific regionals ... and 19+ days until the national LCM meet ...

Just wondering ...

You can't simply put a number of days on a taper and expect it to "fit" everyone. Each person is different and in general the older you get the more rest you typically need....and swimming LC vs. SC adds to that.

For me...48 years old...weights stop 21-25 days before my main LC meet. Yardage will stay the same for 21 to about 10 days out but I will increase my rest on hard sets....do more speed work...and less kicking.

7-10 days out is a gradual reduction in yardage from about 2500-3000m a day 4-5 days a week to about 1500-2000 3 x a week and about 500 3x a week. last 3-4 days is less than a thousand a day...bestially warming up till i feel good and working on tempo/hand speed with lots of hypoxic recovery.

There's a couple of very good articles in this months bicycling magazine about tapering....diet during taper, etc....better stuff than i see in most swimming magazines. Bottom line is more rest is better....don't test new food/gel/recovery drinks...increase card to protein ration to 4 : 1, etc.

Allen Stark
July 25th, 2008, 11:30 PM
I don't hate taper,but it a weird time.Instead of reveling in exertion,I feel I have to watch every motion.The second week is always a neurotic time,legs feel like lead and I am sure they won't come around in time.:notworking:

ehoch
July 25th, 2008, 11:32 PM
My taper is pretty similiar to Paul's - maybe a little shorter overall. He has a little more "mass" that needs recovery.

Not going to Nationals, even though I wanted to (and I am signed up) - so it's Regionals next weekend. That means I am just in the middle of resting trying to shake off the low -- my dive 50 yesterday was 1/10th faster than my three 50s from a push last weekend ....

TheGoodSmith
July 26th, 2008, 12:05 AM
ehoch,

Dude...... enjoy your taper.

Taper is wonderful.

Taper is rest.

Taper means speed and snap.

Are you crazy?

david.margrave
July 26th, 2008, 01:37 AM
I don't get it. I like tapering. Maybe I'm not doing it properly, or maybe I'm not training hard enough prior to the taper.

swimshark
July 26th, 2008, 07:07 AM
There's a couple of very good articles in this months bicycling magazine about tapering....diet during taper, etc....better stuff than i see in most swimming magazines. Bottom line is more rest is better....don't test new food/gel/recovery drinks...increase card to protein ration to 4 : 1, etc.

Thanks for the heads up on the article. I got my copy yesterday and will go look for the article.

ande
July 26th, 2008, 07:56 AM
i'd like to add that i believe you can hit you ideal point of rest then maintain it i do a lot of very fast swims for time if i was fast yesterday and today then i'll probably be fast tomorrow i like to lift closer to meet but reduce weight reps and sets
my meet starts today

patrick
July 26th, 2008, 08:36 AM
From a coaching standpoint I know the taper is effective if two weeks before the meet if my swimmers answer yes to: Are you feeling irritable and cranky. Eric sounds like you are ready to rip one!

Charge
July 26th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Are you nuts? Tapering is awesome!

Of course, I'm mad right now b/c I trained for my meet this weekend in Houston and didn't get to go b/c or car trouble. Wasted a great week of tapering! :frustrated:

SwimRobin
July 26th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I actually enjoy tapering too! Love the extra rest and the shorter workouts!

Donna
July 26th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I am not ready to taper just yet, but the kids I swim with are all on different schedules. Part of this week was taper type workouts and the later half of the week was more hard yardage than I have done in a while. Our older group is at the state meet this weekend so I was mostly on my own with a few really young swimmers who are still learning their strokes.

This week and the beginning of next week 3 of our swimmers will be preparing for Jr. Nats and I will be tagging along with them even though our Nats is the following week. Easy for them is still hard for me so it works out good anyway. While they are gone I will hit the end of my taper and then its Nats time, YEAH!!!!!:woot:

Can't Wait!:D

swimshark
July 26th, 2008, 02:23 PM
This week and the beginning of next week 3 of our swimmers will be preparing for Jr. Nats and I will be tagging along with them even though our Nats is the following week. Easy for them is still hard for me so it works out good anyway. While they are gone I will hit the end of my taper and then its Nats time, YEAH!!!!!:woot:

Can't Wait!:D

Donna, we're in the same boat. I'll be tapering with the kids who are getting ready for Jr Nats, too. Then I have 1 practice on my own (coach is writing it up for me) before I head to Oregon and practice with my home team.

Question for all - how long is your taper? I'm used to a 2 week taper. My coach is in favor of a 10 day taper. I want to do what it right for my age.

Donna
July 26th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Alison, I guess we are on the same schedule.

I will be doing about a 2.5 week taper of sorts. Actually I think I have been doing a small taper for the earlier portion of this week, but then as of Wednesday he increased the workload again. Today was a 7500 meter workout and I am sore again.

Coach is setting up workout for me while the kids are at Jr. Nats and up until I leave for Nationals. Next week I will be my last week of doubles and even then I will only be doing 3 of them instead of 5. So I guess taper starts Monday. I am ready.:groovy:

poolraat
July 26th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I really worked it hard (for me) this last week or so averaging about 3500 meters/day and now will rest tomorrow and start bringing it down beginning Monday. I'm going to use the same taper I used for Austin since I'll be doing the same 5 events. And came home from that meet with 3 (lifetime) personal bests.

Paul Smith
July 26th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Since i've been reading and psoting about Cycling and Track on the other thread i thought I would mention Chris Carmichael's excellent article on tapering in the same Bicycling magazine:

"Know when to say when"

Here's the opening:
"Training can be a lot like drinking booze: to have a great time you need to know when to stop. In the week leading up to a race or event, athletes can do more to undermine their training than they can to enhance it. Just like that 'one more' drink, its the prospect of getting a little extra something that lands you in trouble. Mental-health professionals say that sometimes the tendancy to have 'one to many' is rooted in insecurity, and in my experiance that's exactly what drives athletes to make mistakes in the week leading to an important challenge."

I can't tell you how many times I've seen swimmers "freak" during this 7-10 days out on their taper and that sluggish/slow stuff and worry that they are geetting "out of shape"...so they ramp up, break the taper and end up swimming the same as in season times or see less improvement than they could have.

Keep the faith baby!

swimshark
July 26th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Alison, I guess we are on the same schedule.

I will be doing about a 2.5 week taper of sorts. Actually I think I have been doing a small taper for the earlier portion of this week, but then as of Wednesday he increased the workload again. Today was a 7500 meter workout and I am sore again.

Holy cow 7500! How long are you in the water? I do 2 hour practice each time and we get up to about 5200 meters in those 2 hours.

Can't wait to meet you in a few weeks!

Paul, I read that article today, too. It was a good one and one I needed to read.

Donna
July 27th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Saturday is our 3 hour practice day. I was alone for the first hour, just me and the assistant coach Ali. Then all the young ones came in for the final 2 hours. Lot's of distance mixed with some sprints.

Looked like coach wrote the workout for the older kids who he know would not be there. We had to adjust the times, since even if I were swimming SCY I would not have been able to handle the last 2 intervals without paddles and/or fins.

Paddles and fins are my secret weapon for keeping up with them. Actually since I usually drag my legs, the fins make me kick to keep up with them.

Believe me this 46 year old body can't keep up any other way.