PDA

View Full Version : The long road to back in shape....questions along the way...

Seagurl51
July 28th, 2008, 01:14 PM
So after having been out of the water for about a year, I'm finally starting to get sort of a routine of going again.

I know it was going to be rough, but the last few practices I've felt actually really good in the water and been able to hold times fairly close to where I was before I stopped. It hasn't been that long (a few weeks) since I started again so is just my body reacting to something new and being good (like beginners luck) and in a few weeks it'll feel like concrete again? Or are my muscles actually remembering what they were once able to do? I'm not complaining I just want to know if I'm going to hit a wall soon. I've been going last in my lane, but I'm starting to ride the feet of people in front of me. Should I keep going last and taking it slow for a few more weeks, or is it better to push it and try to get back in shape faster? When should I add in dryland? I don't want to do too much to fast and hit a wall hard or hurt myself.

Also, knees. Is it better to be a little paranoid or just suck it up? Before I stopped last year, my knees had started to get sore and pop a little when I would do breaststroke. Sure enough, it's starting to do it again. I've laid off the breaststroke for the most part now and am doing with a dolphin kick instead. Should I just start going to the gym and doing squats? When is a good time to see the doctor if at all?

Thanks for all your help!!!!

tjburk
July 28th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Welcome back Seagurl..............

ande
July 28th, 2008, 02:36 PM
hey gurl,

welcome back

in a few weeks it'll feel like concrete again?
dont think so

starting to ride the feet of people in front of me. Should I keep going last and taking it slow for a few more weeks, or is it better to push it?
you should do the best you can in each practice and find your proper place

When should I add in dryland?
whenever you want just start out easy

popping knees
is it painful?
do they pop when you flutter, sdk, or kick BR
not a doctor that's a doctor answer

why did you quit for so long?

hofffam
July 28th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I think it would be smart to take it easy on the knees. They may not be quite ready to take on what you are doing right now. The muscles surrounding the knees may not be as strong as they need to be. Take your time and do not overdo breaststroke.

geochuck
July 28th, 2008, 02:51 PM
The road back is hard. Here I am getting ready to race in Oregon in 17 days after a ten year layoff from hard swimming.

The last few weeks my swim time has been very limited, about 20 minutes each time I go to the pool.

I did a 500m swim doing technique aerobic swimming and a few push off 50m in 40 seconds, also 10 x 25mts' trying to get the fifty by race day to about 31seconds.

Seagurl51
July 28th, 2008, 04:24 PM
popping knees
is it painful?
do they pop when you flutter, sdk, or kick BR
not a doctor that's a doctor answer

why did you quit for so long?

Yea most of the time it does it hurt. Not super painful, just like a dull constant aching.

As for being out of the water for so long.....Life interveined. Being out of the country and then trying to re-adjust to being back was harder than I thought.