PDA

View Full Version : Help! I kick like a hummingbird

CVERL
July 29th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Hello, I have been in the pool fairly regularly since January, and I have just about put together all the ingredients of a proper freestyle stroke. I don't yet have endurance, I think because I am just now mastering the "cork screw" motion that is enabling me to roll up and breathe. Also, I have given up bilateral breathing for now. Otherwise, I am back to the drawing board.

I can barely eek out 50 yards. When I tried swimming with a flotation device between my legs, I lasted much longer because I didn't wear myself out kicking. Let me back up and say that I have been a runner for over 20 years. I think unconsciously I am depending too much on my feet.

Anyway, if I could slow down my kick I could swim for longer periods. Can anyone advise me on the best way to achieve this?

Thanks!
Cheryl

ViveBene
July 29th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Long recent thread on improving flutter kick, with many assists and references:

http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=5818

Good luck!
VB

ande
July 29th, 2008, 09:55 AM
here's my answer
http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=143728&postcount=930

CVERL
July 30th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks for your responses. Since I still can't string together any yardage, I paid close attention this morning to what I'm doing. I think I'm kicking like crazy because I'm sinking. I think my biggest problem is that I can't get a good breath, maybe because I'm simply too low in the pool.

The lifeguard watched me and said that I'm bobbing up and down with my strokes. He suggested I try not to dig down so deeply. Then maybe my head will be closer to the surface, and I can get a good breath. I have a feeling, that if I could just breathe, I would slow down my kick and do some decent laps.

I have been struggling since January! This is the hardest thing I've ever tried to learn. I commend you guys for mastering such a difficult sport!

Cheryl

ande
July 30th, 2008, 12:23 PM
I suggest you get
one on one swimming lessons from an excellent swimmer or coach

the problem you think you have might not be what you need to fix first

I have a feeling you're not getting enough propulsion from your pull

Thanks for your responses. Since I still can't string together any yardage, I paid close attention this morning to what I'm doing. I think I'm kicking like crazy because I'm sinking. I think my biggest problem is that I can't get a good breath, maybe because I'm simply too low in the pool.

The lifeguard watched me and said that I'm bobbing up and down with my strokes. He suggested I try not to dig down so deeply. Then maybe my head will be closer to the surface, and I can get a good breath. I have a feeling, that if I could just breathe, I would slow down my kick and do some decent laps.

I have been struggling since January! This is the hardest thing I've ever tried to learn. I commend you guys for mastering such a difficult sport!

Cheryl

Thrashing Slug
July 30th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I recommend you put away the pull buoy, get the latest version of the Total Immersion book and do the drills in there. It will work wonders for your technique, balance, and general comfort level in the water. Forget about yardage, do at least 50% drills until you figure out how to swim without sinking.

You could also simultaneously do Ande's program to develop good kicking technique and general speed. Maybe you're lucky and have flexible feet already. If so, you'll probably progress quickly. If not, good luck and welcome to the club...

JMiller
July 30th, 2008, 12:33 PM
It could also be that your ankle flexibility is inefficient, in which case it would be good to progressively start some of these exercises.
http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=9092&page=2

Thanks for your responses.

scyfreestyler
July 30th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I recommend you put away the pull buoy, get the latest version of the Total Immersion book and do the drills in there. It will work wonders for your technique, balance, and general comfort level in the water. Forget about yardage, do at least 50% drills until you figure out how to swim without sinking.

You could also simultaneously do Ande's program to develop good kicking technique and general speed. Maybe you're lucky and have flexible feet already. If so, you'll probably progress quickly. If not, good luck and welcome to the club...

Worked wonders for me.

cowsvils
July 30th, 2008, 07:34 PM
You are having trouble timing your kick, and as a result you need to kick a lot more in order to stay afloat. I have never tried TI, but looking into it may be worth a shot from what I understand about the program, it seems perfect for your needs. Once you are able to balance better in the water, then I would say look at some of the stuff that others suggested in order to improve speed.