PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have Mitral valve prolapse?

swimr4life
July 29th, 2008, 11:09 PM
I just got the results from an echocardiagram for severe chest pains and skipping heartbeats. I have a mitral valve prolapse. I know aerobic exercise is good for it. ...so I plan on continuing swimming. I noticed I was having a hard time catching my breath during sprint sets. Could it be related to that ...or am I just out of shape!?

ViveBene
July 29th, 2008, 11:21 PM
MVP symptoms, from Mayo Clinic:

Symptoms can vary widely from one person to another. They tend to be mild, develop gradually and may include:

A racing or irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia)
Dizziness, lightheadedness
Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath, often when lying flat or during physical exertion
Fatigue
Chest pain that's not associated with a heart attack or coronary artery diseaseArticle:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mitral-valve-prolapse/DS00504

geochuck
July 29th, 2008, 11:32 PM
I had a friend who had a problem with a heart murmer that occurred only when she was on her back. She had been the Canadian Backstroke Champion in 1951. She quit swimming under doctors orders. It really did not affect her life except she had to quit swimming. I saw her last year and she looked great and said she felt good. I asked how things had been re her heart murmer when she was a kid. She said no problems she still had this problem but regretted that she did not continue swimming. She is 73 now.
http://www.medicinenet.com/mitral_valve_prolapse/article.htm

scyfreestyler
July 30th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Severe chest pains? Was the MD okay with you swimming at that effort level?

I went through some testing a few years back as I had some of the symptoms of MVP, but a stress echo ruled it out...thank God. In the meantime, I had to get a prescription of antibiotics before heading to the dentist office for a routine cleaning. I wound up getting a lesson in MVP from my cardiologist as well as my dentist.

Allen Stark
August 1st, 2008, 01:03 AM
I was diagnosed with MVP in 1979.The only symptoms I had were skipped beats and the went away when I gave up coffee(sob.) That was the only lifestyle change I made,except for antibiotics before dental appointments.Then in 1998 I had repeat echocardiogram testing and there was no sign of MVP(no one could explain that.)

gull
August 1st, 2008, 08:44 AM
There has been a tendency to overdiagnose MVP, particularly in young women with chest pain and palpitations. It is somewhat dependent upon who is interpreting the echo. In the absence of significant valve leakage, the diagnosis should not limit physical activity. Antibiotic prophylaxis prior to dental work is no longer recommended for this condition per the most recent AHA guidelines.

Did you have a stress test?

aquageek
August 1st, 2008, 08:49 AM
I just got the results from an echocardiagram for severe chest pains and skipping heartbeats. I have a mitral valve prolapse. I know aerobic exercise is good for it. ...so I plan on continuing swimming. I noticed I was having a hard time catching my breath during sprint sets. Could it be related to that ...or am I just out of shape!?

Dara Wannabe -

Have you considered reading this forum lately may have cause or significantly contributed to your diagnosis?