PDA

View Full Version : To Flip or not to flip?

SwimKristenSwim
July 31st, 2008, 03:23 PM
Hello everyone! I, like many others, am getting back into swimming after taking about 5 years off. I swam distance in high school and joined masters in college. Through those years, I religiously flip turned during each workout/race. Now that I'm getting back into the swing of things, I've come to realize that flipping concumes a great deal of energy. So here is my question, since I'm starting over from scratch, do I flip or not during my workouts? My ultimate goal is to build enough distance to re-join a masters program. Do I flip or not flip, that is my question.

Thanks!
Kristen

tjburk
July 31st, 2008, 03:27 PM
Flip!!!!! And welcome back!!!

hofffam
July 31st, 2008, 03:29 PM
First there is no reason to wait before joining most Masters programs. You don't have to be good or fast.

Since you have been a competitive swimmer - you know how to flip. Although more tiring than an open turn you should do them because:

- they are faster than open turns so you will be able to swim on shorter intervals
- if you intend to compete you will have better turns in your races if you practice them regularly

USMSarah
July 31st, 2008, 03:30 PM
Hello everyone! I, like many others, am getting back into swimming after taking about 5 years off. I swam distance in high school and joined masters in college. Through those years, I religiously flip turned during each workout/race. Now that I'm getting back into the swing of things, I've come to realize that flipping concumes a great deal of energy. So here is my question, since I'm starting over from scratch, do I flip or not during my workouts? My ultimate goal is to build enough distance to re-join a masters program. Do I flip or not flip, that is my question.

Thanks!
Kristen

Kristen,

Welcome to the forum and back to swimming! I would recommend that you start off doing flipturns all the time. Everything is going to feel weird starting back and you are going to be tired anyways... go for it. I think about 2 good weeks of solid work on flipturns at every wall... you will start doing them like it's second nature. Have fun and good luck.

Besides if you don't do flipturns, you're more likely to stop and take more breaks if you grab the wall (while wanting to do an open turn). Just some thoughts... ;)

2fish&1whale
July 31st, 2008, 03:33 PM
Flip turn as much and as often as you can.
I swim breast stroke and do open turns only.
Turning to the same side all the time brought on some elbow pains, so now I make sure that I change it up more often.

Ken Classen
July 31st, 2008, 03:41 PM
First don't be afraid to join or try a masters group now. Swimming in structured program is likely to speed up your progress as opposed to swimming on your own. Let the coach know that your getting back into it after a layoff and typically they will help guide you. They may say were doing 3000 yards tonight but why don't we cool you down at the 1500 mark etc. In masters there is no requirement to stay and swim the entire workout, just ask Paul Smith. There is nothing wrong with open turns however if you all ready know how to do flip turns and your form is reasonable, I would suggest attempting to flip all your turns. Also if flipping seems to be taking an inordinate amount of energy have a coach view them and see if they have any efficiency tips. Plus dry land core exercises (like sit-ups) will definitely help.

aquageek
July 31st, 2008, 03:46 PM
Always flip then go to other threads on this forum and flip-out.

tjburk
July 31st, 2008, 03:55 PM
Always flip then go to other threads on this forum and flip-out.

Don't listen to him he flips on both sides!!!!!:mooning:

Allen Stark
July 31st, 2008, 06:05 PM
Flip(and always touch with both hands on BR and fly.)Also go to a Masters team now as was noted,you'll have more fun.

mouseswimmer
August 2nd, 2008, 07:56 AM
flip! It is also supposed to help tone up your abs (according to one of my coaches). Good luck!

Ripple
August 2nd, 2008, 10:01 AM
If you can flip, you should flip! I'm still trying to learn it and am just getting dizzy for my efforts.

Trichica
August 2nd, 2008, 10:21 AM
Flip, Flip, flip.

I just learned how to do them (never swam in my life--at all until 4 years ago) and am on a masters team. I love doing them. I feel like a kid! :bouncing:

I know I am not very fast, but the masters team is AWESOME; extremely supportive and the coaches incredible.

If I can do it---you most certainly can given your background.

Enjoy!!!

Old Navy
August 2nd, 2008, 10:24 AM
Flip, and don't forget your streamline coming off the wall. The greater the distance you streamline the less you have to swim. :applaud: Welcome back to the pool.

smontanaro
August 2nd, 2008, 11:14 AM
flip! It is also supposed to help tone up your abs

I frequently don't do flip turns (depends on how my back is feeling), however... The other day I made it a point to really throw my head down and crunch going into my flip. I definitely felt it in my abs. My turns also seemed faster.

A good flip turn is more satisfying than doing boring old crunches...

Skip

knelson
August 2nd, 2008, 01:28 PM
I've come to realize that flipping concumes a great deal of energy.

It shouldn't and I don't think it will once you get back in shape. Doing freestyle with all open turns sounds much more tiring to me.

gobears
August 2nd, 2008, 02:18 PM
It shouldn't and I don't think it will once you get back in shape. Doing freestyle with all open turns sounds much more tiring to me.

Seriously. I'm an "evil-stroke" swimmer but a good deal of my training is freestyle. Once you can do flipturns (and they are habit) it's annoying to have to stop and turn at the wall. It kills your momentum to have to do an open turn. And, they ONLY way to get better at flipturns is to DO them...