PDA

View Full Version : How to start Master's team

Flying Dutchman
August 2nd, 2008, 12:53 AM
I moved to Stillwater, OK and started work at OSU Oct 16, 2006. There is no Master's team here that I know of, but I would like to see one started. There are a lot of college kids (about 30,000) but no competitive college swim team. The Colvin Center has nice indoor pool suited for large team work outs. I have been swimming "unattached" here in Stillwater

Need help/advice trying to organize team here. I have coached before in Concord, CA after coming from the Davis, CA Master's coached by Dave Scott, the original "Iron Man" and with Craw Fish Master's in Baton Rouge under coach Scott Rabalais.

Any suggestions?

I also have recently acquired a fairly bad shoulder-axilla injury that has forced me to slow up a bit and would like to get to a sports practitioner that might be able to figure out what is going on with me. I was still breaking the one minute on 100 yard sprint at 52. I hope I'm not "washed up at this young age!" Is there a Masters "swimmer's injury forum" available on this website?

Thanks,

Daniel Van Gent
vangent@okstate.edu (vangent@okstate.edu)

ddunbar
August 2nd, 2008, 01:05 PM
We approached the local age group coach and looked for times that there was pool space. He even recommended that we talk to a fellow that was training every time the pool was open. Turned out it was Eric Johnson training for an English Channel swim. Eric was willing to coach us. We then put up a notices at the pool and at the local gyms. We got our team quickly.

OSU probably has some fitness swimmers in the phys ed department that might be interested in competition since there is not a team anymore. Talk with the pool manager and the phys ed department. Don