PDA

View Full Version : sea sick help

anita
August 2nd, 2008, 10:34 PM
I am brand new to OW, but I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue. I saw a thread started on the General Swimming board, but I don't know if there is a specific way to deal with this in OW situations. I have my first OW swim coming up in September. Although the distance is not the issue, getting over the mental issues are. I have swam twice in the afternoons when the swells are bigger than my usual 6 a.m. jaunts, which would be closer to the race environment, and both times I've come out of the water shaky and tingly. I'm attributing it to sea sickness...? I'm not nauseous, per se, but a bit dizzy to be sure. I'm thinking during a race situation I will be distracted by the other competitors. I will have a paddler with me since this is my first time out, and I have a health issue.
I'm thinking I'm lifting my head up too often since I'm looking for specific buoys. In the race, the 1/2 way point and the ending point are so far apart that I might not feel the need to lift my head as much...?

Anyway, any tips from the experienced OW swimmers?