PDA

View Full Version : Turning Around

xxsprint
August 4th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Most of the time I just swim in my 10m long pool at home. With so much turning back and forth off the walls is there even a point of doing flip turns (or even possible since on one end the water is about 3 feet deep)? What is the quickest, most efficient way of turning around?

Also, say I was to swim 1000m continuously in this pool, with all the turning, would the 1000m even realistically simulate swimming 1000m in a short/long course pool?

hofffam
August 4th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I once read an article that said a 50 yard swim in a 25 yd pool amounted to only about 35 yards of actual swimming counting the initial push off the wall, the glide into the flip turn, and the push/glide off the turn wall. This article compared the 50 yd. swim to a 50 meters in a LCM pool - explaining why the 50 LCM swim was much more than 10% more difficult.

In a 10M pool, depending on the quality of your glide - you might only swim 5M per length. An open turn would probably produce a weaker turn and allow you to swim more.

ande
August 4th, 2008, 05:10 PM
what are you training for?

here's a few tips

1) find a longer pool

2) for most of your practice
don't push off the wall at all

3) try tethered swimming
get surgical tubing attach
one end to something sturdy next to the pool and
the other end to a belt around your waist
then swim in place against the resistance

xxsprint
August 4th, 2008, 08:01 PM
well right now im really just swimming for crosstraining for running (and i like it) - but I do want to actually get my swimming technique perfect and get GOOD at swimming - i'm just not "training" for a race in the near future. I can also maybe see myself doing a triathlon one day.

Rykno
August 5th, 2008, 12:26 AM
what are you training for?

3) try tethered swimming
get surgical tubing attach
one end to something sturdy next to the pool and
the other end to a belt around your waist
then swim in place against the resistance

I second this idea. When I was working in India, the hotel pool was not the best for lap swimming. but I knew that before I went, so I brought a stretch cord swimming belt.

I was able to get in 30-40 minutes of swimming in the mornings. and then again in the afternoons.

craiglll@yahoo.com
August 5th, 2008, 12:32 AM
but remember, after you are done you will be so good at turns. Also, no crazy people complaining that you are swimming too fast.

Carl Spackler
August 5th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Most of the time I just swim in my 10m long pool at home. With so much turning back and forth off the walls is there even a point of doing flip turns (or even possible since on one end the water is about 3 feet deep)? What is the quickest, most efficient way of turning around?

Also, say I was to swim 1000m continuously in this pool, with all the turning, would the 1000m even realistically simulate swimming 1000m in a short/long course pool?

I would have to say it would not simulate a regular pool very well. You could either get the surgical tubing suggested earlier, or you can add a George Park RiverPool or Endless pool current to any existing pool. They both have a drop in model that can be added. I'm going to do one when I build my pool soon. You'll have to put it in your deep end, as I don't think 3 feet is deep enough. I plan on getting my distance swims in there, and still going to a 25 yard pool for stuff you can't simulate swimming in place.

xxsprint
August 5th, 2008, 08:47 PM
An open turn would probably produce a weaker turn and allow you to swim more.

Is an open turn the same thing as a side turn?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU-z6Nc4uHQ
I am looking at this video, is the first technique shown what you are talking about?

3strokes
August 5th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Is an open turn the same thing as a side turn?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU-z6Nc4uHQ
I am looking at this video, is the first technique shown what you are talking about?

Yes, that's what is also called an open turn, a one-hand side (or open) turn.

Good Luck.