PDA

View Full Version : A quick question.

nomad64
August 4th, 2008, 04:54 PM
On Sunday I swam in the Show me state games. It was held at the University of Missouri's Swim centre, a lovely venue. The event was held under, I believe USMS rules. So why were so few masters swimming the events? It was open to swimmers from many mid west states and simply cost $40.00. So again why no competitors? Is there a stand off between the USMS and the ShowMe' people? $40.00 for 8 races! Man what a deal.

Oh and it leads to some championship in Colorado next year. Please don't go the way of the Triathlon communities governing bodies!
Cheers

Nomad

waves101
August 4th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Travel costs have a direct impact on attendance. Even at Nationals, the people that show up depend on the location.

ALM
August 4th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Trevor,

I'm the USMS Registrar for the Missouri Valley LMSC. Osage Beach is located within Missouri Valley. Speaking of Masters swimmers, I don't see your name in the USMS database. I hope you'll consider joining USMS.

As for the Masters attendance at the Show-Me Games, I can think of a couple of factors. First, the swim meet was actually held as part of the "State Games of Mid-America." The description of this event on the web site read as follows:

"States from the Midwest Region of the National Congress of STATE GAMES will now be able to send the athletes who participated in their State Games to Missouri where they all can compete for a chance to qualify for the State Games of America in Colorado, Springs in 2009."

The phrase "who participated in their State Games" implied (to me, anyway) that this meet was only open to Kansas residents who had participated in the Kansas Sunflower State Games. I sent an e-mail to the Show-Me Games swim meet director a couple of months before the event, asking for clarification on this point. I did not receive an answer. Someone else from our LMSC finally got an answer, but it was just a week or two before the meet. By that time, we had already scheduled a Masters meet in the Kansas City area.

Missouri Valley's swimmers are very familiar with the MU facility. We have hosted two SCM championship meets there (in December 2006 and 2007) and will host a third one this December. Our December 2006 meet was the first SCM meet to be held in the facility. To my knowledge, we are still the only group that has held any SCM meets at MU, which means that our Masters swimmers hold all of the SCM pool records. At our December 2006 meet we also witnessed the first world records ever set in the new MU Aquatic Center (Edith Hendry, 95-99 age group).

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you'd like to join USMS; you can now join online.

Anna Lea Roof

abc
August 5th, 2008, 08:38 AM
The answer is simple. The names of your competitions are too girlified: "Kansas Sunflower State Games" and "Show-Me Games." Come on people, I can't do a best time at a meet called the Cutie-Pie Championships!

matysekj
August 5th, 2008, 10:43 AM
The answer is simple. The names of your competitions are too girlified: "Kansas Sunflower State Games" and "Show-Me Games." Come on people, I can't do a best time at a meet called the Cutie-Pie Championships!

Easy, now. There's some pretty tough competition at the "Over the Rainbow Games"!