PDA

View Full Version : Senior Masters Swimming?

ddunbar
August 5th, 2008, 11:22 AM
:oldman: I have noticed that there might be a need to be a thread for those of us with dual membership in the USMS and AARP. Yesterday I reregistered in the USMS on my last day of eligibility in the 45-49 bracket. I also mailed my AARP application, and today I have aged into the 50-54 bracket. "Swimming past 50" is on order along with a large bottle of Alieve.

Since getting back into the pool this time, I have been looking at psyche sheets and meet results. There has been a lot of attrition. There are still some survivors knocking down respectable times. I saw Gary Schatz a couple of years ago and he was still looked like he was in the same shape he was back in the 80s and his current times are still damned fast, but I kind of imagine that Gary is an exception in the bracket.

So I was thinking that there might be a place for a thread for those of us that are now grayer and less aerodynamic, that have had a couple of surgerical proceedures, and perhaps have cardiologist on retainer(for me a gall bladder removal, lapriscopic repair of a knee, and a cardiac catherization) . A spot for those who associate the snap, crackle, and pop in the morning as the sound of getting out of bed rather than a breakfast cereal.:cane:

The cardiologist keeps threatening me to lose weight, and a recent week with the boy scouts (a time consuming passion outside the pool) showed me how out of shape I had gotten. So on July 2, I got back in the water. I have an Orthopedic surgeon working with me to avoid doing a tendon reduction surgery on a shoulder, so the stretching and physical therapy exercises are being taken seriously. With work, scouting, and family commitments the goal is to swim 3 times per week

Last Night's Workout SCYds (workout #12)

300 swim 4:30
4 x100 IMs 2:00 - 1:39-1.42 (looking for oxygen bottle)
4 x100 Free 2:00 - 1:29 -1:32 (DPS)
3 x100 Breast 2:15 - 1:50's (working stroke count)
2 x 100 Back 2:15 (noticeable shoulder pain)
4 x 25 Fly
200 kick
4 x 50 free 1:00
3 x 50 breast 1:15
2 x 50 back kick
4 x 25 fly working sdk
100 kick
100 warm down
Ice down shoulder

The intervals and distance reflect where I am now. I know where I used to be and doubt that I will ever go another 52.5 100 yard fly or a 2:18 200 Br. but I am in the pool now and figuring out where I want to go next. I read Ande's workouts and Paul's and am impressed. I read and modify the posted stroke workouts out there to what fit my current capabilities.

So, a thread for us semi kind of old folks, where we can compare pains and progress in our own thread. Its a good day to be on this side of the grass. Don

ddunbar
August 7th, 2008, 09:39 AM
50 +1 day Workout #13

1st workout in the new age bracket: SCYs
Eduardo managed to cool the pool to a comfortable temperature and I had the pool to myself.

500 swim 7:25
5 x100 IM on 2:00 working stroke
10 x 50 Kick w fins - work SDK on 1:00
5 x 100 IM on 2:00
9 x 50 Free, descend 1-3, 4-6, 7-9
150 warm down

ddunbar
August 9th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Well a few views and no comments. That's alright. I will keep plugging and posting. Maybe I should change the title of the thread to "a fat fifty year old's return to the pool".

8/7 Did not swim. I had my quarterly appointment with my cardiologist. He just reviewed the blood work and said lose weight.

Triglycerides 83 (should be <150)
Total Cholesterol 111 ( 125 - 200)
LDL (the bad stuff) 56 (<70 family history of diabetes and heart disease)
HDL (good stuff) 38 ( > = 40). I don't eat enough fish.

8/8 Work Out #14

500 Swim - 7:17
5 x 100 SDK/DK
5 x 100 on 2:00 descend 1 -4 1:26 - 1:20 , rest 1min # 5 1:11
100 easy
200 Br - Sloppy 1 handed touches on the turns on a high flat wall.
2 x 100 Br
4 x 50 Br
8 x 25 No Breather kick 10 yds then build to sprint.
200 warm down

Got home and iced the shoulder and took the alieve.

I did not get a work out in today - checked on a dog at the Vet (rescued jack russell terrier being treated for heart worms), drove an hour out to a Scout Camp for Committee Mtg that lasted until mid afternoon, drove home and took daughter shopping for school supplies. Got home by 5:00 and am in crash mode. I need to ice the shoulder some more.

Tomorrow it is up early and drive to Corsicana for my Dad's 80th birthday, return & pack for a flight out Monday am returning Friday pm. I will try to get in the pool tomorrow evening.

My job includes the environmental compliance for about 100 sites in Texas & New Mexico and directing the clean up a some historic problems. I get to do some traveling to scenic spots in the Permian Basin Oil patch. There is swimming out there.

I have located pools in Hobbs NM (Hobbs High School Natatorium), Midland (City of Midland Swim Team -in the pool that I trained in as an age group and masters swimmer in the 70's & 80's) for my West Texas Route.

I have found pools in Laredo, McAllen, and Corpus Christi on my southern route and am looking for pools in Ozona, Sonora, and Victoria. There is not much in my North Texas route which includes Perryton, Levelland, and Denver City. There are pools in Amarillo and Lubbock, but getting to them after work during their operational hours won't work. I will carry my swim harness for that route.

Have folks had luck with college pools? There are a couple of small schools that may also be an option.

ddunbar
August 12th, 2008, 12:14 AM
No comments so new name for the thread. I will use it as a blog.

Monday Night. Hobbs New Mexico, Work out 15

The pool is an older high school pool. Six lanes with avg 4.6 foot depth. Got there early. Pool hours had changed this week to allow for high school team to practice. They let us in at 7 pm. Cost per session $1.50 or $10 per month.

Got in and discovered the water temp much cooler than Houston.

500 swim - 8:15 ?? What happened, significantly slower than I had been averaging, asked the guy in the next lane and discovered to my relief it is a 25 meter pool.

5 x 100 SDK Trying for 12m underwater on each push.
2 x 100 Breast
4 x 50 Breast work on pull out and pace. Still sloppy on the wall, I must not be timing it well enought with a final kick and end up with a one handed touch to set up the turn.
100 easy
4 x 100 IM
50 Fly very hard
100 Easy.

2050 - Out a little early to get a late dinner and then watch the Olympics. Will swim there again tomorrow.