PDA

View Full Version : The Race!

elise526
August 5th, 2008, 04:41 PM
For fun - a poll to see who folks think will win the men's 400 I.M.

pwolf66
August 5th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Unless Ryan can build a 1.5 second lead thru Breast, Phelps is going to run him down. That last turn at Trials was just a thing of beauty and it just has to be disheartening to be leading and then watch Phelps shoot by.

tjburk
August 5th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Paul, it was amazing to watch that happen.......My son and I were at pool level at that end of the pool.....to watch him SDK that far at the end of the 400 IM was just amazing.

LindsayNB
August 5th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Do you think Ryan is capable of duplicating that last turn underwater kick?

elise526
August 5th, 2008, 05:55 PM

I actually hope Phelps wins because if he doesn't, we won't get a chance to see if he breaks Spitz's record, at least at this Olympics. I have, however, heard a couple of coaches hint that they think Lochte may get this one. Why they think that, I don't know.

scyfreestyler
August 5th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Phelps has to be the favorite. He's the WR holder and isn't this the first event of the games? Anything could happen, but the odds are stacked in Michael's favor.

Old Navy
August 5th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Although Michael has to be the resounding favorite, and without a doubt the best in the world but there is a piece of my heart that would love to see Lochte take him.:soapbox: Either way, it's going to be a great race to watch.

pwolf66
August 5th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Paul, it was amazing to watch that happen.......My son and I were at pool level at that end of the pool.....to watch him SDK that far at the end of the 400 IM was just amazing.

I am soooo insanely jealous. I have transferred that race from my DVR to my computer and I think I have watched it at least 20 times.

rtodd
August 5th, 2008, 07:09 PM
My guess is Phelps and Lochte are both under WR but Phelps prevails.

hofffam
August 5th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Phelps "gets after it" and wins by a body length but both he and Lochte beat the WR. It won't come down to the last turn like it did at trials. Phelps just smashes it.

Allen Stark
August 5th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Just a hunch,but I don't think Phelps tapered as much as Lochte.Expect almost all the American's to beat their trials times as I don't think the Trials pool was super fast.

USMSarah
August 6th, 2008, 12:11 AM
I'd love to see Lochte win it, but I think Phelps is just too darn strong.

knelson
August 6th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Expect almost all the American's to beat their trials times as I don't think the Trials pool was super fast.

I'd be surprised. Historically I think most swim slower than at Trials.

If I had to bet on an event that could take down Phelps' pursuit of eight gold medals it would be the 4x100 free relay, not the 400 IM.

tjburk
August 6th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I think with the amount of drop that Lochte had at Trials....he will be hard pressed to do that again which is what I think it will take to win this time. He dropped 3+ seconds to come up with a lifetime best and what would have been a WR. But Michael was killer on that last turn.....He always seems to be able to grind out whatever it takes to win......

Predictions.......Phelps 4:03 high or 4:04 low Lochte 4:05 mid to high

thewookiee
August 6th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I think Lochte will have his Olympic break through in this event and out touch Phelps for the win.

And even if Phelps does win this event, I don't believe he will win 8 golds. The U.S. may have 3 guys under 48 in the 100 free but I think the French just may have a better overall relay squad, not only with Bernard but Bousquet has been known to have some awesome relay swims at big meets.

mctrusty
August 6th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I think Phelps gets it and builds a lead before the free this time.

The mustache makes him unstoppable.

BillS
August 6th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I have transferred that race from my DVR to my computer and I think I have watched it at least 20 times.

Anybody have a link to the video? It was up briefly on YouTube, then pulled. One of the best last turns and finishes I've ever seen.

That Guy
August 6th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Anybody have a link to the video? It was up briefly on YouTube, then pulled. One of the best last turns and finishes I've ever seen.

www.nbcolympics.com (http://www.nbcolympics.com) has it.

pwolf66
August 6th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Someone needs to x-ray Phelps because he's a machine.

My prediction: Lochte has a slight lead coming out of breast but Phelps drops the hammer and splits the free in 56.10 for a 4:02.75

BillS
August 6th, 2008, 07:39 PM
www.nbcolympics.com has it.

Thanks.

Charge
August 6th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I know that Phelps wasn't fully tapered for trials, but something just tells me that Lochte will pull the upset.

Charge
August 6th, 2008, 07:48 PM

No, but Chuck Norris could.

pwolf66
August 6th, 2008, 09:54 PM
www.nbcolympics.com (http://www.nbcolympics.com) has it.

It seems they do not have the Men's or Women's 400 IM finals there. Unless I am completely blind, I looked several times and could not find them. And WTF is up with how the video's play? Total garbage.

BillS
August 7th, 2008, 01:02 PM
It's there, I found it yesterday after ThatGuy posted the link. I had looked there first, but it's well hidden. I can't link you directly to it. I think I had to click "videos" then "swimming" then "more videos" and wade through something like 6 pages of thumbnails to find it. A site search didn't pull it up, for some unknown reason. And when you do find it, it's in some MS Silverlight beta format. I think I had to download a player a while back to make it all work.

Thanks, NBC! How about taking a look at floswimming to see how it's supposed to be done?