View Full Version : Stem Cell Doping?

ande
August 6th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Stem Cell Doping?

http://grg51.typepad.com/steroid_nation/2008/07/gene-doping-at.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/olympics/article4375097.ece

LindsayNB
August 6th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Before getting too excited about stem cell "doping" I would like to have a reputable scientist explain just what this sort of treatment is supposed to do for an already healthy athlete.

aquageek
August 6th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Before getting too excited about stem cell "doping" I would like to have a reputable scientist explain just what this sort of treatment is supposed to do for an already healthy athlete.

You mean, kind of like supplements and clenbuterol? Since when does having a scientist explain anything discourage people from being suckered?

richabrahams
August 6th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I found the discussion re regeneration of cartilege in the first link very interesting, especially after a recent MRI shows some serious degradation on the head of my right humerus (like bone on bone).

I'm assuming that if this procedure is ever perfected it would not be considered illegal/unethical for us older swimmers. Maybe more in line with a hip replacement? Thoughts?

scyfreestyler
August 6th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I found the discussion re regeneration of cartilege in the first link very interesting, especially after a recent MRI shows some serious degradation on the head of my right humerus (like bone on bone).

I'm assuming that if this procedure is ever perfected it would not be considered illegal/unethical for us older swimmers. Maybe more in line with a hip replacement? Thoughts?

Sounds reasonable to me. You could just as easily have shoulder surgery to repair the problem and that would not be frowned upon to the best of my knowledge.

The Fortress
August 6th, 2008, 12:54 PM

My doctor told me they will be doing it in his office (medical necessity only) within 5 years. In the meantime, he is doing PRP.

richabrahams
August 6th, 2008, 03:10 PM
My scenario is "good news / bad news". The good news is that with my current diagnosis My doc thinks I don't need an operation. The bad news is that without the new technology my condition will just get worse. For now Alleve works fine.

Leslie, my son works with an ortho guy at Oregon Health Science U. who is conducting trials with cartilage regeneration. When I mentioned this to my P-T he said there is a lot going on in this area and it's the new "holy grail" but it's not that close to a reality. Here's hoping your doc is right. What is PRP?

craiglll@yahoo.com
August 6th, 2008, 09:30 PM
I might get some stem cells in my back. they are either coming from a brain dead person or from me. I'm kind of confused about exactly where they are coming from. I asked the doctor if I could meet the brain dead person. He got kind of mad at me. I guess it seemed insensitive to me. I had some one die a few years ago from a drug overdose. The guy was 25. They couldn't use any of his organs except some parts of his eyes. i would like the person who can see now to see Adam.

The Fortress
August 6th, 2008, 10:26 PM
My scenario is "good news / bad news". The good news is that with my current diagnosis My doc thinks I don't need an operation. The bad news is that without the new technology my condition will just get worse. For now Alleve works fine.

Leslie, my son works with an ortho guy at Oregon Health Science U. who is conducting trials with cartilage regeneration. When I mentioned this to my P-T he said there is a lot going on in this area and it's the new "holy grail" but it's not that close to a reality. Here's hoping your doc is right. What is PRP?

Your condition sounds a bit like the condition my left shoulder was in, Rich. Not operable, but going downhilll. I did 4 sessions of PRP -- plasma regeneration therapy -- over 6-8 months (last one 6 weeks before Nats) on the rotator cuff/labrum and it is vastly better. (Might need more, as the RC is a large area.) PRP is a procedure where the doctors inject your own blood platlettes to the effected area to attempt to regenerate degenerated connective tissue. You can read about it and see a video at www.treatingpain.com (http://www.treatingpain.com). PRP is referenced on the bottom left corner of the home screen. I sought out this treatment when cortisone PT, ART, prolotherapy were just not effective. It takes awhile to work though because you're waiting for the tissue to grow. My doctor has some professional athletes and triathletes that have successfully used PRP. Normal people who want to avoid surgery too. Skill of the physician is key, of course. Not many doctors are qualified to do this procedure. (My doc has patients flying in for treatment.) And only some insurance companies cover it. But, barring the expense, I can't think of a single reason a person wouldn't do it, although I don't know a single swimmer who has besides me. It is painful, but couldn't possibly be worse than surgery rehab. I found it effective, and I am not an easy sell!

richabrahams
August 7th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks Leslie. I'm definitely going to check it out. Right now the pain/discomfort is more in the annoying range rather than performance inhibiting, but I don't want it to get worse. I'm not planning on retiring from swimming for a while.