PDA

View Full Version : Naked Protest: Beard would not be censured for her ...

ande
August 6th, 2008, 10:25 AM
USA Swimming said that Ms Beard would not be censured for her actions.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/2509980/Beijing-Olympics-US-swimmer-in-naked-protest.html

tjburk
August 6th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Not supposed to be about politics.....leave that garbage at home!!!

The Olympics are about sport.......that is why we don't Boycott them anymore....leave your personal and political BS at home....and just compete.....

TheGoodSmith
August 6th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Sounds like Amanda is grabbing the spot light a bit "prematurely".... :-)

gobears
August 6th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I'd take her a little more seriously if she wasn't looking quite as seductive and airbrushed. Not sure her primary concern is the welfare of animals...

scyfreestyler
August 6th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I'd take her a little more seriously if she wasn't looking quite as seductive and airbrushed. Not sure her primary concern is the welfare of animals...

Is Amanda only looking out for #1? Maybe. Not sure it really matters anyhow. She has drawn attention to the China-animal fur connection despite what her intentions might have been. Has all of the makings for a win-win situation.

geochuck
August 6th, 2008, 11:31 AM
It looks good to me. I like what I see even if it is airbrushed.

swimr4life
August 6th, 2008, 11:32 AM
"I'm not trying to be in everybody's face...." :rofl:

USMSarah
August 6th, 2008, 12:04 PM

That's hilairious... I didn't catch that. She looks fantastic, totally jealous... but this is not the time and place to voice concerns over political crappage... it's the Olympics. I'm glad they had her show her stuff outside of the Olympic Village. I'm sure many people will buy that poster... but not because of the statement.

:rolleyes:

elise526
August 6th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Good for Amanda! I see nothing wrong with using one's assets to make a point. Important women throughout history have done this. Bravo, Amanda for having the guts and courage to take a stand!

aquageek
August 6th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Good for Amanda! I see nothing wrong with using one's assets to make a point. Important women throughout history have done this. Bravo, Amanda for having the guts and courage to take a stand!

Too bad the only way this woman can take a stand or make money is by taking off her clothes. There's only one message that sends, well maybe two, I'm only of value naked and the only way to take a woman seriously is by taking off her clothes. Both are crappy messages.

elise526
August 6th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Too bad the only way this woman can take a stand or make money is by taking off her clothes. There's only one message that sends, well maybe two, I'm only of value naked and the only way to take a woman seriously is by taking off her clothes. Both are crappy messages.

It's not the only way to take a stand but it is the way she has decided to do it. You have to admit that it gets people's attention. Anybody that thinks a beautiful body won't get somebody's attention is denying reality. All this whining about women not being taken seriously is a bunch of bunk.

thewookiee
August 6th, 2008, 12:42 PM

AMEN! She got my attention for sure. Now, if someone would bother to explain to me what she is protesting, I would be grateful. ;)

LindsayNB
August 6th, 2008, 12:55 PM
More Olympic athletes getting naked:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1041069/Naked-ambition-Britains-Olympians-strip-prepare-make-history-Beijing.html

3strokes
August 6th, 2008, 01:05 PM

So, George, this is what it took to make you feel better?

3strokes
August 6th, 2008, 01:06 PM

I wonder if there's a poster (for Sale or Download) of Lady Godiva........

aquageek
August 6th, 2008, 01:09 PM
All this whining about women not being taken seriously is a bunch of bunk.

OK, I agree, the best way for a person to be taken seriously is to get nekked. I find that in all aspects of the business world.

3strokes
August 6th, 2008, 01:15 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1041069/Naked-ambition-Britains-Olympians-strip-prepare-make-history-Beijing.html

Will "The Naked Olympics" ever be featured on "The Naked News"?

Trichica
August 6th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I guess sheep skin is okay for her

http://www.koolaburra.com/espy.html

and so was that white hat with the fur ear covers she donned for the Red Bull ad......

Plz...in China you want to rasie awareness about the ethical treatment of animals....hmmm, how about we start with the ethical treatment of people, children.......

She can use her body any way she wants--she has a great body, if she wants to use it to make money, it iis her decision. But, please on the do not wear fur stuff and PETA stuff when I bet we find plenty of leather shoes in her closet.

scyfreestyler
August 6th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Are cattle skinned alive to make leather shoes?

swimr4life
August 6th, 2008, 01:21 PM
I guess sheep skin is okay for her

http://www.koolaburra.com/espy.html

and so was that white hat with the fur ear covers she donned for the Red Bull ad......

Plz...in China you want to rasie awareness about the ethical treatment of animals....hmmm, how about we start with the ethical treatment of people, children.......

She can use her body any way she wants--she has a great body, if she wants to use it to make money, it iis her decision. But, please on the do not wear fur stuff and PETA stuff when I bet we find plenty of leather shoes in her closet.

Again :rofl: Its very hard to take her seriously. She reminds me of Madonna.....anything to make a buck and shock people.

elise526
August 6th, 2008, 01:21 PM
OK, I agree, the best way for a person to be taken seriously is to get nekked. I find that in all aspects of the business world.

Now, now geek. Did I say it is the best way? Having been in the he-man world as a female litigator, I got tired of hearing all the whining about not being taken seriously. If people would just do their job and not worry about it, things would be much better. If a woman is good at what she does then she will be taken seriously. And by the way, a wise woman will wear attractive, business-appropriate clothing and make-up in the business world? Why is this? Might she be enhancing her "assets?"

If a woman choses to make use of her many assets which include her mind, her body, and her spirit, then I say right on!

Trichica
August 6th, 2008, 01:23 PM
I have no idea how sheep skin boots are made. But, I do know that minks--rodents--are not skinned alive to make mink coats.

I think to PETA whether they are skinned alive makes no difference.

smontanaro
August 6th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I'm sure many people will buy that poster... but not because of the statement.

Without warning Skip switches seamlessly to Fred, his pimple-faced teenage boy personality... "Honest Mom, I only bought the poster for the PETA message!"

Skip

aquageek
August 6th, 2008, 01:56 PM
And by the way, a wise woman will wear attractive, business-appropriate clothing and make-up in the business world?

Beard isn't dressed.

elise526
August 6th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Beard isn't dressed.

Geek- I think we are talking about apples and oranges here. I don't think if Amanda was a lawyer that she would show up naked in court to try to win her case. Amanda is a model and in that world, things are a little different than your typical 8 to 5 desk job. For example, I don't think many CPAs would want to wear some of the things I've seen in Vogue to work.

Why do you assume that because she is not dressed that she thinks only her body is valued? Why are you convinced that by her appearing in the nude that a message is being sent that women will only be heard if they get naked?

gobears
August 6th, 2008, 02:14 PM
If the picture were a little more along the lines of what, say, the Dove corporation seems to be trying to promote--the human body as beautiful as opposed to sexy--I'd get it. I guess the beauty of the human body doesn't get attention like the sex factor. I highly doubt this picture will cause many to care about the fate of animals. But, it will get Amanda even more attention for showing off her bod. And that's probably primarily what she wants. It may make some $$$ for Peta as well.

Can't say I've ever understood the line that posing naked somehow empowers a woman or shows that women are sexual as well as athletic. I think all people are sexual, are they not? Do I need to see everyone naked to get that? Hmmm...

elise526
August 6th, 2008, 02:22 PM
If the picture were a little more along the lines of what, say, the Dove corporation seems to be trying to promote--the human body as beautiful as opposed to sexy--I'd get it. I guess the beauty of the human body doesn't get attention like the sex factor. I highly doubt this picture will cause many to care about the fate of animals. But, it will get Amanda even more attention for showing off her bod. And that's probably primarily what she wants. It may make some $$$ for Peta as well.

Can't say I've ever understood the line that posing naked somehow empowers a woman or shows that women are sexual as well as athletic. I think all people are sexual, are they not? Do I need to see everyone naked to get that? Hmmm...

If you're going to get naked, isn't it a good idea to look sexy as opposed to having a goofy grin on your face? Maybe Amanda's serious look is naturally seductive.

3strokes
August 6th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Beard isn't dressed.

Birthday suit?

aquageek
August 6th, 2008, 02:27 PM
I don't think if Amanda was a lawyer that she would show up naked in court to try to win her case.

If a certain dress code is the norm for lawyers and a certain dress code is the norm for CPAs, what is the profession that has a dress code of nothing? CPAs and Lawyers are professionals with normally post grad degrees, the others are just pros or hos, which one?

mctrusty
Geek- I think we are talking about apples and oranges here. I don't think if Amanda was a lawyer that she would show up naked in court to try to win her case. Amanda is a model and in that world, things are a little different than your typical 8 to 5 desk job. For example, I don't think many CPAs would want to wear some of the things I've seen in Vogue to work.

Why do you assume that because she is not dressed that she thinks only her body is valued? Why are you convinced that by her appearing in the nude that a message is being sent that women will only be heard if they get naked?

I think she certainly likes to draw attention to her body. She was in FHM, SI Swimsuit Ed, and Playboy.

I'm not sure as to whether or not she thinks any of her other assets are valued. Her bibliography only seems to indicate exhibitionist tendencies. I haven't seen her provide a suitable proof of the four color theorem.

SwimStud

That's hilairious... I didn't catch that. She looks fantastic, totally jealous... but this is not the time and place to voice concerns over political crappage... it's the Olympics. I'm glad they had her show her stuff outside of the Olympic Village. I'm sure many people will buy that poster... but not because of the statement.

:rolleyes:

Will you two stop?.. it's Amanda, naked...some of us enjoy... ;)

gobears
August 6th, 2008, 02:29 PM
If you're going to get naked, isn't it a good idea to look sexy as opposed to having a goofy grin on your face? Maybe Amanda's serious look is naturally seductive.

That depends on what message you're trying to convey, IMO. I understand that women can gain something for themselves by posing naked. There's always a captive audience for that. But I don't get how it empowers women, somehow.

Funny, I don't think if Michael Phelps posed for Playgirl people would be arguing that it empowers him and just shows he's sexual as well as athletic. Funny double-standard we have...

elise526
August 6th, 2008, 02:35 PM
That depends on what message you're trying to convey, IMO. I understand that women can gain something for themselves by posing naked. There's always a captive audience for that. But I don't get how it empowers women, somehow.

Funny, I don't think if Michael Phelps posed for Playgirl people would be arguing that it empowers him and just shows he's sexual as well as athletic. Funny double-standard we have...

gobears - Beautifully stated. I do wonder if people would be fussing about value, being taken seriously, etc., if Phelps appeared naked.

aquageek
August 6th, 2008, 02:37 PM
gobears - Beautifully stated. I do wonder if people would be fussing about value, being taken seriously, etc., if Phelps appeared naked.

Yes, I'd say the same thing.

Phelps already has the cheesy Playgirl 'stache so he's halfway there.

USMSarah
August 6th, 2008, 02:38 PM

I'd hate to be the one posing on the bike.... :eek:

USMSarah
August 6th, 2008, 02:42 PM
pros or hos

OMG, you just made my day. :laugh2:

Daaaave
August 6th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Pretty judgemental attitudes from people who're regularly as naked as she is in this PETA picture.

Amanda has two jobs:
1. Professional swimmer
2. Model

The incremental difference between what Amanda wears at one job, professional swimmer, and what she shows in this ad related to her other job, model, is minimal.

She's barely showing more than if she wore a two-piece workout suit to training camp in this photo. Help me understand where the line exists between acceptable training gear and moral outrage.

She's entitled to feel strongly about whatever causes strike her as important, regardless of how the rest of us feel about them. She's also entitled to continue making a living as a model. This pic seems to raise awareness about a cause she cares about and probably advances her modeling career. There's nothing wrong with either/both.

I'm not a fan of PETA, but even as AB does benefit professionally from the spread, there's also something very cool about such an overt - and dare I say overtly American - display of free speech in Beijing, China.

As for taking her seriously, I'll bet there are some women in that 200 BR final in Omaha who wish they'd taken her a bit more seriously.

gobears
August 6th, 2008, 02:57 PM

Now this kind of thing is cool. You'll notice not one of these people is either goofily grinning or seductively beckoning. This is much more artistic, IMHO. And I appreciate the beauty of the athletic body without the cheesy "come hither" eyes.

I have to wonder how shocked and disapproving most would be if any of those male athletes were to be posing seductively for the camera. I can only imagine the names they'd be called... Somehow it's demeaning for men and empowering for women, though, eh?

aquageek
August 6th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Amanda has two jobs:
1. Professional swimmer
2. Model

2(b). Stripper

SwimStud
August 6th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Yes, I'd say the same thing.

Phelps already has the cheesy Playgirl 'stache so he's halfway there.

Maybe he has an upcoming bit part on Swingtown?

It's not like Amanda is the first to pose naked for PETA--give her a break!

SwimStud
August 6th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Now this kind of thing is cool. You'll notice not one of these people is either goofily grinning or seductively beckoning. This is much more artistic, IMHO. And I appreciate the beauty of the athletic body without the cheesy "come hither" eyes.

I have to wonder how shocked and disapproving most would be if any of those male athletes were to be posing seductively for the camera. I can only imagine the names they'd be called... Somehow it's demeaning for men and empowering for women, though, eh?

I just think it's naked body, posed athletically or seductive, it's still art. Geek won't look at those daily mail photos though, the guys look like they've been "shaving" heaven forbid!
The double standard is a crock. It needs to go...

Willow
August 6th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I'm a female Peta-hatin' pro-nudity animal lover and this doesn't offend me. You can bet if I had a body like that that I worked hard for, I'd want others to appreciate its form as well as its function.

So she's an exhibitionist. So she may have just found this cause. Perhaps she isn't absolutely consistent yet, it doesn't necessarily make her a hypocrite. Whenever you make an ideological change it is a process.

I like the way she looks, I like the way she swims, so she is okay by me. I like people who get out there and try things for themselves and make messes and do things they might regret. It makes them more interesting.

Spock

The Olympics are about sport.......that is why we don't Boycott them anymore....leave your personal and political BS at home....and just compete.....

We respectfully disagree.

I say good for her! I wish more athletes were willing to take political stands.

It's very easy to say "let's just keep it about sport" ... unfortunately, that ship has long ago sailed and trying to reframe/rewind a globalized, corporatized, and heavily politicized money-making endeavor like the Olympics is as silly as our President trying to bring us back to the 50's. Hopelessly naive.

Jackie Robinson, John Carlos, Tommie Smith, Wilma Rudolph, Billie Jean King, Mohammed Ali ... there were some athletes who took their social responsibilities seriously.

It's bad enough that China, with its abhorrent human rights history, got the games. That our country and our athletes are not willing to speak out more loudly is embarrassing on a global scale.

My 2 anyway, as a Chinese American.

aquageek
The double standard is a crock. It needs to go...

Again, I have no double standard on this and the only people who are claiming there is a double standard are the ones defending her. I think it's a bad idea for either sex to reduce yourself to nakedness for money. But, it is the world's oldest profession so they aren't breaking any new ground.

Lumping Beard in with Owens, Rudolph, BJK, Ali is absurd, beyond absurd, bordering on insane. She took off her clothes for money. Owens stood up against Hitler, hardly equal. That's almost like lumping Stud in with noodlers, does the noodlers a great disservice, as they actually do swim from time to time fast.

elise526
August 6th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Again, I have no double standard on this and the only people who are claiming there is a double standard are the ones defending her. I think it's a bad idea for either sex to reduce yourself to nakedness for money. But, it is the world's oldest profession so they aren't breaking any new ground.

Flawed reasoning. Just because somebody poses nude does not mean they engage in the world's oldest profession. By the way, people can engage in the world's oldest profession partially clothed.

aquageek
August 6th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I like the way she looks, I like the way she swims, so she is okay by me. I like people who get out there and try things for themselves and make messes and do things they might regret. It makes them more interesting.

Now, this is a philosophy I can agree with totally and well stated!

aquageek
August 6th, 2008, 03:07 PM
By the way, people can engage in the world's oldest profession partially clothed.

Right, and people can support a cause partially clothed as well.

Iwannafly
August 6th, 2008, 03:09 PM
I think the notion that by posing nude, any famous/athletic/beautiful/ugly/rich woman empowers other women, is a load of bull myself. That is just my opinion, although I am entirely certain that my wife shares the same opinion and through years of beatings, has shaped my opinion to resemble hers;)! My opinion is also that if Amanda Beard wants to pose in the nude, whether it be to make more money, make herself more famous or push her particular cause du jour further into the limelight, that's entirely her prerogative. If PETA feels that a photo spread of Ms. Beard in some state of dress other than full business attire will generate more publicity for their cause, then more power to them. I also think that swimmers, both male and female, have the sexiest bodies on the planet and I probably wouldn't put down any photos that happened to come through my inbox. I might not go distributing nude photos of Alain Bernard or Michael Phelps, but only because I fear what my friends might think of me. I am pretty certain that I couldn't stop myself from looking though. Perhaps I have said too much...I should stop...It's like an addiction (sort of like the EuroCup 2008 thread!)!!!

USMSarah
August 6th, 2008, 03:10 PM
"let's just keep it about sport"
What's so wrong about wanting that? Political statement or not... I just don't want to see boobage throughout a sporting event - this is not the exactly the same situation - but I was not happy when Janet Jackson had the "wardrobe malfunction" at the SuperBowl a while back. There is a time and place for everything - and OUR CHILDREN are also watching and reading about what is going on at the Olympics, do we really need an anatomy lesson along with the competition?

elise526
August 6th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Right, and people can support a cause partially clothed as well.

Geek - I guess you never mooned anybody.

SwimStud
August 6th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Flawed reasoning. Just because somebody poses nude does not mean they engage in the world's oldest profession. By the way, people can engage in the world's oldest profession partially clothed.

..and earn extra for it ! ;)

SwimStud
August 6th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I also think that swimmers, both male and female, have the sexiest bodies on the planet

...dude let's just keep me out of this, okay?

SwimStud
August 6th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I just don't want to see boobage
spoilsport!

Iwannafly
August 6th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Lumping Beard in with Owens, Rudolph, BJK, Ali is absurd, beyond absurd, bordering on insane. She took off her clothes for money. Owens stood up against Hitler, hardly equal. That's almost like lumping Stud in with noodlers, does the noodlers a great disservice, as they actually do swim from time to time fast.

I don't think he was lumping Beard in with any of those people. I think he was merely illustrating the point that he wished that more athletes would take a stand on social issues and that the Olympics were beyond being just about 'the sport'!

USMSarah
August 6th, 2008, 03:20 PM
spoilsport!

:laugh2:

Iwannafly
August 6th, 2008, 03:20 PM
...dude let's just keep me out of this, okay?
Man, that SwimStud, he's one sexy, hairy bas#$%@! Go have some tea and shut your piehole!:mooning:

SwimStud
August 6th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Man, that SwimStud, he's one sexy, hairy bas#$%@! Go have some tea and shut your piehole!:mooning:

That'd be cake-hole, mate!

imspoiled
August 6th, 2008, 03:24 PM

Those photos are stunning! The one of Gregor Tait, especially.

aquageek
August 6th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I don't think he was lumping Beard in with any of those people. I think he was merely illustrating the point that he wished that more athletes would take a stand on social issues and that the Olympics were beyond being just about 'the sport'!

It always makes me laugh when people say that because someone is great at something that they should automatically be socially conscious or have a superb moral compass. There really is no correlation between the two, sporting and activism. I can only think of a few sports greats who are legitimate activists and can't think of a single great social activist who was first an elite athlete. I think it is rare to have both great abilities. I mean, ever seen Oprah, Bill Gates, or Warren Buffet play hoops?

And, if Beard was paid to strip for this ad, then she is not an activist, definitely a capitalist, nothing wrong with that.

gobears
August 6th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I think the notion that by posing nude, any famous/athletic/beautiful/ugly/rich woman empowers other women, is a load of bull myself. That is just my opinion, although I am entirely certain that my wife shares the same opinion and through years of beatings, has shaped my opinion to resemble hers;)! My opinion is also that if Amanda Beard wants to pose in the nude, whether it be to make more money, make herself more famous or push her particular cause du jour further into the limelight, that's entirely her prerogative. If PETA feels that a photo spread of Ms. Beard in some state of dress other than full business attire will generate more publicity for their cause, then more power to them. I also think that swimmers, both male and female, have the sexiest bodies on the planet and I probably wouldn't put down any photos that happened to come through my inbox. I might not go distributing nude photos of Alain Bernard or Michael Phelps, but only because I fear what my friends might think of me. I am pretty certain that I couldn't stop myself from looking though. Perhaps I have said too much...I should stop...It's like an addiction (sort of like the EuroCup 2008 thread!)!!!

Well said. Pose nude all you'd like but don't make inane statements about how empowering it is for others. Or about how we wouldn't know that you are sexual without seeing your personal equipment.

At the very least, let's have some equal time (and equal acceptance) for those of us more interested in the seductive nude male than the Playboy playmate!:banana:

knelson
August 6th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Love 'em or hate 'em, PETA sure is good at getting noticed. This campaign is brilliant with the tie-in to the Olympics.

Peter Cruise
August 6th, 2008, 03:55 PM
What's the fuss...I mean, we all post in the nude...don't we?

ande
August 6th, 2008, 04:01 PM
can't recall ever starting a thread that
had 60 responses in less than 6 hours

Iwannafly
August 6th, 2008, 04:02 PM
It always makes me laugh when people say that because someone is great at something that they should automatically be socially conscious or have a superb moral compass.

It seems to me that some athletes have the perfect stage from which to shine a light on social issues. I am not saying that they should. Indeed, Tiger Woods is probably capable of bringing about enormous social change, but he has chosen not to. That's fine and it's entirely within his rights as a human to choose that path.
The purpose of the original post was not to say that Beard should take a stand on animal rights...rather it was to say that if Beard wanted to take a stand on animal rights, then the poster (the person doing the posting, not the large, shiny poster of Amanda Beard) was fine with it and he wished that more athletes would take stands.
I for one, don't know her motivations, but I'm not willing to just assume what they are. There are few athletes that I look to for social inspiration and none in the very recent past. Beard certainly does nothing to change that. It's a very personal choice for an athlete to risk being shunned by taking a stand at the moment of their crowning achievement. I saw the special about Tommy Smith and John Carlos on the ESPYs and it changed my perspective entirely on their actions.

Iwannafly
August 6th, 2008, 04:04 PM
can't recall ever starting a thread that
had 60 responses in less than 6 hours
We shall dub thee 'Ande the Instigator'!:-)

tjburk
August 6th, 2008, 04:17 PM

It's very easy to say "let's just keep it about sport" ... unfortunately, that ship has long ago sailed and trying to reframe/rewind a globalized, corporatized, and heavily politicized money-making endeavor like the Olympics is as silly as our President trying to bring us back to the 50's. Hopelessly naive.

Jackie Robinson, John Carlos, Tommie Smith, Wilma Rudolph, Billie Jean King, Mohammed Ali ... there were some athletes who took their social responsibilities seriously.

It's bad enough that China, with its abhorrent human rights history, got the games. That our country and our athletes are not willing to speak out more loudly is embarrassing on a global scale.

So, this is Ok for her to do? So it's Ok to allow the Olympics to be used to further ones political and personal values?

I say shut up and compete.....don't rightly care what others think should or shouldn't be done with animals......that is definitely not why I am watching the games. As I sit in my nice comfortable LEATHER recliner.

Sam Perry
August 6th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Question:

Who has posed nude for PETA besides Amanda? The only one I can rememeber is Pamela Anderson. So now we have a US Olympic Swimmer testing positive for a substance that is not even legal to prescribe in the US and a US Team Member in the same campaign as Pam Anderson for the idiots at PETA. We should be so proud of our athletes.

Would also love to know if she was paid for it. If so, as said above it is not a cause, it is a campaign for her wallet. She may really care for defenseless rodents, I don't know, but she definitely doesn't give it any credibility. All we want to do is see her naked, and I don't think most women who mainly wear furs will stop because they saw her naked.

Ryan Lochte, maybe so.

chaos
August 6th, 2008, 04:23 PM
who f'in cares what amanda wears/doesn't wear.

get a life.

if the image offends; don't look at it. (hmmm not so easy is it?)

shark
August 6th, 2008, 04:26 PM
What's the fuss...I mean, we all post in the nude...don't we?

That is just sick.

knelson
August 6th, 2008, 04:29 PM
if the image offends; don't look at it. (hmmm not so easy is it?)

I admit it. I craned my neck for a better look. I'm sure I'm not the only one. :)

geochuck
August 6th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Was she protesting??? I only looked at the great body, I did not even see the backdrop. I JUST SAW THE LOVELY BODY.

AMEN! She got my attention for sure. Now, if someone would bother to explain to me what she is protesting, I would be grateful. ;)

Iwannafly
August 6th, 2008, 04:34 PM
So, this is Ok for her to do? So it's Ok to allow the Olympics to be used to further ones political and personal values?

You don't think the Chinese government wanted to host the Olympics to further their political values? I certainly do! He's right, the time to 'just compete' has passed.
I will agree with you that I won't care what pet cause Amanda Beard pimps as I watch her and the rest of the American swimmers hopefully decimate the field. I may, however, look at the picture when I get home.

chaos
August 6th, 2008, 04:35 PM
maybe nude public displays of civil disobedience will come back into fashion. anyone remember streaking? that sure would spice up the insufferably boring opening ceremonies.

tjburk
August 6th, 2008, 04:37 PM
You don't think the Chinese government wanted to host the Olympics to further their political values? I certainly do! He's right, the time to 'just compete' has passed.
I will agree with you that I won't care what pet cause Amanda Beard pimps as I watch her and the rest of the American swimmers hopefully decimate the field. I may, however, look at the picture when I get home.

So, now because the Chinese want to politicize this....It's Ok? Wow, interesting.

aquageek
August 6th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Everytime we turn around these days Beard is dropping trou for cash so the fact that her latest strip is for PETA really doesn't impress me from a cause perspective. I have no issue with her stripping for money. I just don't think it is any sort of big statement or noble cause to think that all you have to offer the world is your nekked body. But, the internet was created for porn by Al Gore, so I'm probably wrong.

The Olympics have always been about 51% sport, 48% politics, 1% unknown (curling and badminton). Anyone who doesn't think the Olympics and politics don't go hand in hand hasn't watched any Olympics since Grecian times or Roman times, whenever it started.

knelson
August 6th, 2008, 04:42 PM
There goes Geek bashing curling again... :)

In all honesty is "don't wear fur" really a major political statement? Boy, it seems awfully tame (no pun intended) to me.

geochuck
August 6th, 2008, 04:51 PM
It pays to advertise.

Bust all sales barriers.

gull
August 6th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I'm surprised that such a staunch supporter of PETA would wear Ugg Sheepskin boots...

elise526
August 6th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Well said. Pose nude all you'd like but don't make inane statements about how empowering it is for others. Or about how we wouldn't know that you are sexual without seeing your personal equipment.

At the very least, let's have some equal time (and equal acceptance) for those of us more interested in the seductive nude male than the Playboy playmate!:banana:

Huh? Did I miss something from the last two years? I don't recall Amanda saying that it was empowering for women to pose nude or that women should do it to empower themselves. Did she make the comment that somebody is not sexual unless they show their personal equipment?

scyfreestyler
August 6th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Maybe he has an upcoming bit part on Swingtown?

It's not like Amanda is the first to pose naked for PETA--give her a break!

LOL! Super! :rofl:

SwimStud
August 6th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Huh? Did I miss something from the last two years? I don't recall Amanda saying that it was empowering for women to pose nude or that women should do it to empower themselves. Did she make the comment that somebody is not sexual unless they show their personal equipment?

I didn't see it but I was not reading the words..you know Elise, even if she did say it, if she found it personally empowering then so be it, right?

elise526
August 6th, 2008, 05:39 PM
I didn't see it but I was not reading the words..you know Elise, even if she did say it, if she found it personally empowering then so be it, right?

I guess. I don't see anything wrong with what she is doing if that is what she choses to do. Now whether it empowers somebody? That is a whole different discussion - it depends on the woman and the impact it has.

Kurt Dickson
August 6th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Amanda has inspired and empowered me...thank you. I now feel free to show my manboobs....

Oh wait my cause is of course saving the whales. How much longer will my people be persecuted and languish in water park zoos...Free Willy!

Paul Smith
August 6th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Not to be outdone....may i present the Brazilians;

http://machochip.com/2008/08/bia-and-branca-feres-are-into.php

ourswimmer
August 6th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Who has posed nude for PETA besides Amanda? The only one I can rememeber is Pamela Anderson.

Nudity (always of the lithe, beautiful variety) is practically PETA's campaign signature. "I'd Rather Go Naked Than Wear Fur" was the slogan I remember from a campaign featuring a whole bunch of supermodels. They do live events at stores sometimes the same way.

USMSarah
August 6th, 2008, 06:08 PM

Their parents must be proud.

I just gave birth to twins this year, so this throws me off a bit. Those pix were kinda gross.

Paul Smith
August 6th, 2008, 06:09 PM
So when is Tracy going to start a "Amanda Beard-Amazing" thread so those of us who are haters and/or jealous can chime in on whether or not "airbrushing" is going on and if so what tests have been done to PROVE it and George can tell everyone its all a conspiracy??!! :banana:

Iwannafly
August 6th, 2008, 06:21 PM
So, now that I've seen the picture, I can't figure out what the fuss is about anyway. There have been pictures like that on the covers of so many magazines (and not only men's magazines), that I can't even count them (not that I can count higher than 20 anyway).
Tracy, you were the one that said leave the political views out of the Olympics. I didn't say that it was okay, I just said that it was inevitable.

geochuck
August 6th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Paul I have a PM for you. Olympic advertising, You may wish to post it you have my OK.

So when is Tracy going to start a "Amanda Beard-Amazing" thread so those of us who are haters and/or jealous can chime in on whether or not "airbrushing" is going on and if so what tests have been done to PROVE it and George can tell everyone its all a conspiracy??!! :banana:

elise526
August 6th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Where did the idea come from that Amanda posing nude empowers other women?

Daaaave
August 6th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I offered to pose naked to raise awareness against doping but WADA told me my non-PED physique might actually encourage the use of illegal fat-burners.

Paul Smith
August 6th, 2008, 07:07 PM

You missed it...her nudeness empowers Swimstud

pwolf66
August 6th, 2008, 07:28 PM

What politics? Are there governments of countries directly involved in the fur trade? If not, then what does this have to do with politics? If she was protesting human rights violations in China, THEN we're talking politics. This is just your run of the mill protest.

Politics: The art or science of government or governing, especially the governing of a political entity, such as a nation, and the administration and control of its internal and external affairs.

Iwannafly
August 6th, 2008, 07:33 PM

It just randomly appeared somehow. I don't think anybody attributed it to anybody else, but it just appeared. Hah, that rhymes with Beard!

Beard appeared, in all of her naked glory!

chaos
August 6th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Their parents must be proud.

I just gave birth to twins this year, so this throws me off a bit. Those pix were kinda gross.

in some more progressive countries, such photos would not be a big deal.

Paul Smith
August 6th, 2008, 07:43 PM
How she really feels;

http://www.swimnetwork.com/videos/v/20080723/amanda_beard_at_self_s_photo_shoot-15426.html

And I LOVE the nice leather recliner!!
http://www.swimnetwork.com/videos/v/20080723/amanda_beard_feature-15427.html

I dislike hypocrites almost as much as liars...then again you can say they are pretty much the same thing....

elise526
August 6th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Geek :joker: You have a new look! :laugh2: Is that you? Has Amanda empowered you?:laugh2:

aquageek
August 6th, 2008, 08:10 PM
in some more progressive countries, such photos would not be a big deal.

"Progressive" countries also legalize prostitution and narcotic drug use, so take your pick.

fanstone
August 6th, 2008, 08:15 PM
In case you want more of the brazilian twins (oddly enough, this is the first I've heard of them, on this thread), I did a quick search:

http://vip.abril.com.br/ensaio/bia-e-branca.shtml

Peter Cruise
August 6th, 2008, 08:16 PM
My sardonic humour re posting nude is rendered small potatoes by Kurt.

fanstone
August 6th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Last I heard, prostitution was legal in the United States, I guess in Nevada.

Iwannafly
August 6th, 2008, 08:55 PM
"Progressive" countries also legalize prostitution and narcotic drug use, so take your pick.

Does Nevada count as a progressive country?

Iwannafly
August 6th, 2008, 08:57 PM
So, you could say the biggest difference between the leather recliner or leather shoes and a fur is that when they kill the cow and skin it, they also use the remainder of the cow. When they kill the varmint/rodent/fox for a fur, that's the ONLY reason they kill it!

SwimStud
August 6th, 2008, 09:17 PM

FAN-TAS-TIC! Way better than those scrawny, bobble head doll Olsen freaks, I mean twins.

SwimStud
August 6th, 2008, 09:18 PM
You missed it...her nudeness empowers Swimstud

LOL I find it liberating !!!:bump:

tjburk
August 6th, 2008, 09:35 PM
What politics? Are there governments of countries directly involved in the fur trade? If not, then what does this have to do with politics? If she was protesting human rights violations in China, THEN we're talking politics. This is just your run of the mill protest.

Politics: The art or science of government or governing, especially the governing of a political entity, such as a nation, and the administration and control of its internal and external affairs.

You obviously don't understand PETA....they want to regulate (govern) what you and I not only wear, but what we eat as well......take a good look at the organization and some of the lobbyists they employ.

The Fortress
August 6th, 2008, 09:36 PM
So, now that I've seen the picture, I can't figure out what the fuss is about anyway. There have been pictures like that on the covers of so many magazines (and not only men's magazines), that I can't even count them (not that I can count higher than 20 anyway).

Pretty much it. Didn't Miley Cyrus just pose nude with a sheet in Vogue? Had a blast reading the thread, but didn't we do this awhile ago ... I think that's when I started bonding with Geek.

I still feel the same, especially about the double standard. The pics aren't offensive, but neither are they "empowering" (empowering?!?!), worthy of applause, or much else. They certainly aren't "art." (Sorry, Stud, I know Raphael did nudes, but not this way.) This is advertising to sell a product and cash in. She's a model, that's what she does; it's a way to earn a living. End of story. As for her activism and dreadful "heartbreak," I couldn't give a toss. Thanks, Kurt for the witty post. And, like Sam, and despite being at the opposite end of the political spectrum, I don't give a toss about rodents either. PETA -- blech. Pamela Anderson -- blech.

Amanda can drop trou to earn big bucks, and she won't get a sore neck and shoulders from a desk job, but no one is going to take her "seriously" for it. She can, however, seriously earn money, and kudos to her, but it says nothing more than she has a great bod and looks good in earmuffs. And she certainly does! Leave it at that.

I appreciated Willow's sentiment from a couple pages ago. Trying new things and possibly messing up and carrying on is to be commended. Since Amanda has made modeling a business, I don't think it's a "mess" though. Perhaps the activisim is a mess. I don't mind about that. But I generally don't listen when celebrities (can they spell clenbuterol?) engage in activism. My only disagreement with Willow is that, while Amanda has worked hard for her great bod, I'm not sure why that means she necessarily has to seek out others to appreciate it.

tjburk
August 6th, 2008, 09:39 PM
So, you could say the biggest difference between the leather recliner or leather shoes and a fur is that when they kill the cow and skin it, they also use the remainder of the cow. When they kill the varmint/rodent/fox for a fur, that's the ONLY reason they kill it!

Yeah back in the old days....take a look at what they "Actually" do with most of the remains today......that perfume/cologne you're wearing....you would be amazed what is really in it. Dog food, cat food feed for animals at zoos and shelters.

Like the Indians of old....we are closer to using all pieces parts today then we ever have been.

scyfreestyler
August 6th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Is this a swimming forum or an AARP forum?

Paul Smith
August 6th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Pretty much it. Didn't Miley Cyrus just pose nude with a sheet in Vogue? Had a blast reading the thread, but didn't we do this awhile ago ... I think that's when I started bonding with Geek.

I still feel the same, especially about the double standard. The pics aren't offensive, but neither are they "empowering" (empowering?!?!), worthy of applause, or much else. They certainly aren't "art." (Sorry, Stud, I know Raphael did nudes, but not this way.) This is advertising to sell a product and cash in. She's a model, that's what she does; it's a way to earn a living. End of story. As for her activism and dreadful "heartbreak," I couldn't give a toss. Thanks, Kurt for the witty post. And, like Sam, and despite being at the opposite end of the political spectrum, I don't give a toss about rodents either. PETA -- blech. Pamela Anderson -- blech.

Amanda can drop trou to earn big bucks, and she won't get a sore neck and shoulders from a desk job, but no one is going to take her "seriously" for it. She can, however, seriously earn money, and kudos to her, but it says nothing more than she has a great bod and looks good in earmuffs. And she certainly does! Leave it at that.

I appreciated Willow's sentiment from a couple pages ago. Trying new things and possibly messing up and carrying on is to be commended. Since Amanda has made posing a business, I don't think it's a "mess" though. Perhaps the activisim is a mess. I don't mind about that. But I generally don't listen when celebrities (can they spell clenbuterol?) engage in activism. My only disagreement with Willow is that, while Amanda has worked hard for her great bod, I'm not sure why that means she necessarily has to seek out others to appreciate it.

Yeah right...you guys missed out..up until 20 minutes ago masters swimming had it's own female empowering, UGG wearing, leather couch lounging, PETA fur hating fan favorite:

www.iamfortresshearmeroar.com

Sadly like the Advocare site it went 'dark" about 10 minutes after this thread started!

pwolf66
August 6th, 2008, 09:58 PM
You obviously don't understand PETA....they want to regulate (govern) what you and I not only wear, but what we eat as well......take a good look at the organization and some of the lobbyists they employ.

Wow, that's quite a measuring stick there. Doesn't that rationale apply to any special interest group? Heck, so using your standard, the 'Got Milk' ads are political statements too? And the 'Beef, it's what for dinner' folks?

The Fortress
August 6th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Very funny, Clydesdale. However, I still have some catching up to do with you on being opinionated. You're a year ahead. Black, not brown, UGGs, BTW.

However, I think it's fair to say that you don't have to have an AARP card to spell clenbuterol.

Paul Smith
August 6th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Very funny, Clydesdale. However, I still have some catching up to do with you on being opinionated. You're a year ahead.

However, I think it's fair to say that you don't have to have an AARP card to spell clenbuterol.

Sorry i got that wrong the address is;

www.fortressishotamandaisnot.com

or was that

www.isdkbetterthanhulk.com

Paul Smith
August 6th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Wow, that's quite a measuring stick there. Doesn't that rationale apply to any special interest group? Heck, so using your standard, the 'Got Milk' ads are political statements too? And the 'Beef, it's what for dinner' folks?

Hulk...it's late...have a beer and make fun of fort..qui being so serious

oh...and stop being a wimp and taper the next 9 days....wussy!

The Fortress
August 6th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I thought Hulk was buying a B70 in the dim hope that, based on SBB advice, he might be able to manage a measley SDK or two?

The first good yuck I had all day was when I read that Peter was posting nude.

pwolf66
August 6th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Hulk...it's late...have a beer and make fun of fort..qui being so serious

oh...and stop being a wimp and taper the next 9 days....wussy!

Kettle/Pot.

I AM tapering. Haven't swam since Sunday. Got a massage today. Might swim the Jazz Hands workout tomorrow. 4x50 sprint then hurt myself doing starts:thhbbb:

3strokes
August 6th, 2008, 10:12 PM
It pays to advertise.

Bust all sales barriers.

Literally.....................

3strokes
August 6th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Nudity (always of the lithe, beautiful variety) is practically PETA's campaign signature. "I'd Rather Go Naked Than Wear Fur" was the slogan I remember from a campaign featuring a whole bunch of supermodels. They do live events at stores sometimes the same way.

This "statement" reminds of a Playboy cartoon joke that I saw some 50+ years ago. It was a full page b&w drawing. The setting is obviously a hotel room. In the picture is a voluptuous blonde wearing a fur coat (the box it which it came in is lying open on the floor and her clothes are all over the floor.) There's an old, bald, fat, Sugar Daddy, standing there half nekked and the caption says, "What do you mean 'you love it so much you'll never take it off'?"

3strokes
August 6th, 2008, 10:20 PM

Is "airbrushing" prohibited by FINA?

SwimStud
August 6th, 2008, 10:23 PM
They certainly aren't "art." (Sorry, Stud, I know Raphael did nudes, but not this way.) This is advertising to sell a product and cash in.

OK You say it's not art. I say it is.
Art is used to sell (products and ideas). In fact, some gallery art even replicates commercial art. Or was Warhol just a conterfeiter?

tjburk
August 6th, 2008, 10:24 PM

When is the last time you saw someone from Wendy's, Burger King or McD's throughing feces on someone that wouldn't live they way they thought they should? Or threw blood on someone because they could? Most non-Peta types have a real life and just want to be left alone.

tjburk
August 6th, 2008, 10:26 PM

Can I? Can I? Huh? Huh? Pleeeeeaaaaasssseeee??????

3strokes
August 6th, 2008, 10:27 PM
The first good yuck I had all day was when I read that Peter was posting nude.

Did you have to remind us, just as I had -almost- managed to erase that picture out of my mind?

The Fortress
August 6th, 2008, 10:40 PM
OK You say it's not art. I say it is.
Art is used to sell (products and ideas). In fact, some gallery art even replicates commercial art. Or was Warhol just a conterfeiter?

That's it! I knew you would toss Warhol in my face. You're getting too predictable. Almost ready for the AARP card, then?

Warhol's art was not about the image, it was about the idea. He wasn't selling products (aside from himself), he was making fun of them. As you know.

All right, we can distinguish between fine art and "art" -- which apparently covers everthing in the world including your SAHD bead thingie!

SwimStud
August 6th, 2008, 10:44 PM
That's it! I knew you would toss Warhol in my face. You're getting too predictable. Almost ready for the AARP card, then?

Warhol's art was not about the image, it was about the idea. He wasn't selling products (aside from himself), he was making fun of them. As you know.

All right, we can distinguish between fine art and "art" -- which apparently covers everthing in the world including your SAHD bead thingie!

Art is an individual thing. I can't stand Damien Hirst's work but if someone get the message then I guess that's up to them. Me I'd rather spend hours looking at something by Ansell Adams.

There more important things to worry about in the country, nay world, right now than Amanda's knockers--magnificent as they may be.
:oldman:

The Fortress
August 6th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Art is an individual thing. I can't stand Damien Hirst's work but if someone get the message then I guess that's up to them. Me I'd rather spend hours looking at something by Ansell Adams.

There more important things to worry about in the country, nay world, right now than Amanda's knockers--magnificent as they may be.
:oldman:

You win. Amanda's boobs beat embalmed dead sharks. Image over ideas. Airbrushing over ideas.

Spock
August 6th, 2008, 11:01 PM

I say shut up and compete.....don't rightly care what others think should or shouldn't be done with animals......that is definitely not why I am watching the games. As I sit in my nice comfortable LEATHER recliner.

Yes, I think it is not only courageous to do so, but also any conscious person's ethical imperil to speak out against injustice.

As I said before, we respectfully disagree.

chaos
August 6th, 2008, 11:02 PM

hmmm, amsterdam or kansas......tough choice.

ScarletSwimmer
August 6th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Dave Barra....you are my hero. :smooch:

chaos
August 6th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Dave Barra....you are my hero. :smooch:

thanks,
(i do what little i can)

knelson
August 6th, 2008, 11:20 PM
that perfume/cologne you're wearing.

The only perfume most swimmers wear is eau de chlorine.

The Fortress
August 6th, 2008, 11:21 PM
thanks,
(i do what little i can)

I think you have an ethical imperative to introduce TI in Amsterdam, Dave.

SwimStud
August 6th, 2008, 11:22 PM
You win.

Art is individual expression...that's my only point. Is Amanda as good as the Mona Lisa?..Convention would tell us "no" (rarity, and age being just 2 criteria), but it doesn't mean that (the picture in it's abstract--not the social protest) it is not art.

Even so art has been used to reflect social issues of the day through history. I don't see any difference in Amanda's poster highlighting a social issue (ithough it may not be important to many folks). As for the sex side of it...it's really not new is it?...

http://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/ChalkFigures.htm

chaos
August 6th, 2008, 11:29 PM
I think you have an ethical imperative to introduce TI in Amsterdam, Dave.

i can never wake up early enough in amsterdam to get much of anything done.

knelson
August 6th, 2008, 11:31 PM

Wow, that's really astounding:
"The most famous of these is the Cerne Abbas Giant cut into the hillside above the village of Cerne Abbas near Dorchester in Dorset. The figure is over 180 feet high and his ' virility' is very obvious!"

I've seen that figure before but never had any idea it was that big.

SwimStud
August 6th, 2008, 11:32 PM
I've seen that figure before but never had any idea it was that big.

I hear that all the time! *cough*

Seriously Kirk there are numerous chalk pictures that I've seen from the roads in the UK. They're pretty interesting to think of how old they are and the effort needed to put them there. Crop circles? Pfffft!

Then we have the "Long Man of Wilmington" (attached). Early evidence that there were double arm backstroking lane hogs back in the day!
"Hey, matey, let go of the lane lines and put on some Speedos before you upset Geek!"

chaos
August 6th, 2008, 11:33 PM

stud,
self portraits belong in the NSR discussions......and put that club down...someone's gonna get hurt.

The Fortress
August 6th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Is Amanda as good as the Mona Lisa?

As for the sex side of it...it's really not new is it?...

No, da Vinci is decidedly better than PETA.

As for sex, not so new. Here's Olympia:

stillwater
August 6th, 2008, 11:39 PM
If I had the body of an Olympic athlete (other than the unlimited weightlifting class, baseballers and curlers), and I could make 10,000 dollars to pose nude, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Let the poor slobs judge me. Seems like that's a pretty easy thing to do.
That green eyed monster seems to be a common theme these days.

knelson
August 6th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Seriously Kirk there are numoerous chalk pictures that I've seen from teh roads in the UK. There pretty interesting to think of how old they are and the effort needed to put them there. Crop circles? Pfffft!

To publicize The Simpsons Movie a giant Homer was painted near the giant. Apparently some local neo-pagans were offended, but I think it's hilarious!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Homer_Simpson_in_Cerne_Abbans.JPG

The Fortress
August 6th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Let the poor slobs judge me. Seems like that's a pretty easy thing to do.

Seems like you've judged the "poor slobs."

SwimStud
August 6th, 2008, 11:43 PM
To publicize The Simpsons Movie a giant Homer was painted near the giant. Apparently some local neo-pagans were offended, but I think it's hilarious!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Homer_Simpson_in_Cerne_Abbans.JPG

Yeah, now that is funny. I can understand why some country folk would get bothered by it, but it was only temporary...

scyfreestyler
August 6th, 2008, 11:47 PM
I guess she's just lucky her visa has not been revoked, followed by being sent off to a Chinese plastination center.

SwimStud
August 6th, 2008, 11:55 PM
I guess she's just lucky her visa has not been revoked, followed by being sent off to a Chinese plastination center.

I thought mastercard was the only card accepted at the olympics...priceless.

scyfreestyler
August 6th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Ba dum bump!

elise526
August 7th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Amanda does seem to be on a campaign to help various creatures. Check this out -

http://oceana.democracyinaction.org/o/209/t/7238/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=25164&tag=ppc

Spock
August 7th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Amanda does seem to be on a campaign to help various creatures. Check this out -

http://oceana.democracyinaction.org/o/209/t/7238/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=25164&tag=ppc

Another worthy cause. Go Amanda!

Iwannafly
August 7th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Yeah back in the old days....take a look at what they "Actually" do with most of the remains today......that perfume/cologne you're wearing....you would be amazed what is really in it. Dog food, cat food feed for animals at zoos and shelters.

Like the Indians of old....we are closer to using all pieces parts today then we ever have been.

I think somebody else mentioned it, but the only scent I wear is Eau de Chlorine...and, since the pet food scare of a couple of years ago, we are very selective about our pet's food. We try to not buy anything with 'rodent protein' listed in the ingredients!;-) You're right, but I was just trying to stir the pot!

aquageek
August 7th, 2008, 08:19 AM
I can't figure out why there is a such a chorus of applause for what she is doing. Taking off your clothes for money is not new. Companies hiring attractive people to pump their product or cause is not new. Nothing about what she is doing is either provocative, groundbreaking or empowering.

Iwannafly
August 7th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Geek,
I must know, where did you obtain the stylish overalls? I need a pair!

chaos
August 7th, 2008, 08:28 AM
regarding the olympics and politics:

DAVE ZIRIN, edgeofsports@gmail.com, http://www.edgeofsports.com
Sportswriter Zirin's latest book is "Welcome to the Terrordome: The Pain, Politics and Promise of Sports." He just wrote the piece "China's Olympic Trials," which states: "This is the Olympics the West wanted: games where the grandest prize is not a gold medal but a glittering entree to China's seemingly endless army of potential consumers. This is the reason that George W. Bush will attend the opening ceremonies, the first U.S. President to do so on foreign soil, and that in March, mere days before the crackdown in Tibet, Condoleezza Rice, laughably, took China off the State Department's list of nations that abuse human rights."

geochuck
August 7th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I am with Amanda. I have supported wildlife in the past. We used to live in Fort Saint James BC it is in Northern BC. They have a Bar called the ZOO. You have never seen wildlife like the wildlife you see there. The restaurant has a great breakfast it is amazing how well they feed those animals the day after.

chaos
August 7th, 2008, 08:32 AM
regarding the olympics and hot bods:

ROBERT LIPSYTE, rolipsyte@aol.com, http://robertlipsyte.com
"Jock Culture" correspondent for Tomdispatch.com, Lipsyte is author of several books on sports, most recently "Yellow Flag," a novel about stock car racing. He said today: "The focus has unfairly been upon China rather than the true Evil Empire, the Olympic Nation-State, which from the beginning (the all-male, naked Greek games) has been political and commercial, and since the 1896 Revival has traded in on the worst kind of nationalism, from fascism to Communism to Global corporatism, to keep its monopoly alive. But because it is a great festival of youth and beauty, I am going to watch every minute as a soft-porn show of great bodies at peak performance."

(discuss amongst yourselves, i've got some work to do...but i'll check in later)

geochuck
August 7th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Just so you know the time at the Olympics and the weather I thought this would take your minds of Amanda. It looks like rain in the afternoon it could dampen spirits. One good day out of the next 7 days it looks like rain and storms for 6 days out of seven.
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=33

Michelina
August 7th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Those photos are stunning! The one of Gregor Tait, especially.

Wow... I took a look at the photos, and they are brilliant!!!!

Can i get a :woot::woot:

hofffam
August 7th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I can't figure out why there is a such a chorus of applause for what she is doing. Taking off your clothes for money is not new. Companies hiring attractive people to pump their product or cause is not new. Nothing about what she is doing is either provocative, groundbreaking or empowering.

The whole thing is a bit of a yawner for me. Amanda clearly likes to be front and center. So I think we should continue to expect things like this from her.

The slightly unusual part about this is that very few elite female athletes seem to do things like this. There are quite a few attractive tennis players - I don't remember any of them in Playboy. Maybe they make more money. Most women softball players are a bit sturdy. So they don't get asked to do this. Same with women's basketball players. Women's golf is a bit uptight and country club-ish. So maybe there isn't much room for "provocative" behavior.

I just hope Amanda swims fast enough to medal.

tjburk
August 7th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Yes, I think it is not only courageous to do so, but also any conscious person's ethical imperil to speak out against injustice.

So, you actually think it is courageous for someone to throw S#$t on someone else! Because they disagree with them????? I think most people would agree that is a pretty disgusting way to make a point.

What fricking world do you live in?

I tell you what, you tell me what swim meet you will be at and I will wear my leather shoes, belt, hat and a fur coat....eating a nice big juicy steak burger and let's see how long you last after throwing some S#$t on me!!!!!:duel:

USMSarah
August 7th, 2008, 10:36 AM
So, you actually think it is courageous for someone to throw S#$t on someone else! Because they disagree with them????? I think most people would agree that is a pretty disgusting way to make a point.

I tell you what, you tell me what swim meet you will be at and I will wear my leather shoes, belt, hat and a fur coat....eating a nice big juicy steak burger and let's see how long you last after throwing some S#$t on me!!!!!:duel:

Wouldn't it be assault if someone did that in the first place (threw poo or paint or whatever)? Yeah, it's a great idea to go out and protest animal abuse and then commit another crime just to get the point across?! Please, you'll only make yourselves look like idiots... TJ, I'll join ya for that juicy hamburger.

;)

I'm all for wiping out animal abuse in this world, I've loved animals all my life - but do we really need to do it naked? Hopefully we can start thinking of something a little bit more clever to promote the issue.

aquageek
August 7th, 2008, 10:36 AM

You really need to chill out. I don't think Spock was condoning their actions nor challenging you to a shoot-out at the OK Corral.

Love them or hate them, no denying PETA does a heck of a job at keeping their cause alive and in the forefront.

lefty
August 7th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Does anyone really think that Amanda believes in this cause? She is trying to scrape together money; and providing "material" for men (and some women) pays well.

SwimStud
August 7th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I've loved animals all my life - but do we really need to do it naked?

Is this in the south somewhere?

tjburk
August 7th, 2008, 10:44 AM
You really need to chill out. I don't think Spock was condoning their actions nor challenging you to a shoot-out at the OK Corral.

Love them or hate them, no denying PETA does a heck of a job at keeping their cause alive and in the forefront.

Did you read what Spock actually said? That is exactly what it means to think someone is courageous for doing that.....like it's a good thing.

I am just tired of the in your face types of people that push their particular way of life on the rest of us....when the majority of us don't agree! That is why we have this system of "Majority Rules" not minority......

Iwannafly
August 7th, 2008, 10:45 AM

So, now it's your turn to pull out the Geek style of verbal combat from the Jessica Hardy thread?!?!?! Why are you taking his comments so far out of context?

USMSarah
August 7th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Does anyone really think that Amanda believes in this cause? She is trying to scrape together money; and providing "material" for men (and some women) pays well.

If you take a look at the pictures of Amanda showing her poster on the street in Beijing... she was laughing and smiling - certainly not the look of a typical protestor. Just something I noticed - could be wrong.

tjburk
August 7th, 2008, 10:46 AM
So, now it's your turn to pull out the Geek style of verbal combat from the Jessica Hardy thread?!?!?! Why are you taking his comments so far out of context?

What did I take out of context? He said that an act like that was "Courageous"....his words, not mine!

USMSarah
August 7th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Is this in the south somewhere?

That is so gross, yet very funny!

:D

aquageek
August 7th, 2008, 10:48 AM
What did I take out of context? He said that an act like that was "Courageous"....his words, not mine!

Roid rage. Go take a swim and relax.

Lots of radical groups do radical things, get over it. It's called America, that stuff is allowed, and encouraged.

SwimStud
August 7th, 2008, 10:48 AM
If you take a look at the pictures of Amanda showing her poster on the street in Beijing... she was laughing and smiling - certainly not the look of a typical protestor. Just something I noticed - could be wrong.

Ah Sarah, I dunno. They may have just asked a question and she smiled before answering. In anycase I don't think she has to pout. I agree though typical protesters useually have a much more un-washed, straggly look, and smell of the forest.

Iwannafly
August 7th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Not only does Spock never say that it is okay to assault somebody, even in protest, he never even mentions PETA. He simply said that he finds it courageous for somebody to take a stand against injustices. How does the fact that Spock thinks it's okay for Beard to support PETA (because maybe she believes in their core values and not necessarily all of their methods) equate to throwing poo? Step back and look at his comments and tell me how you haven't taken them way out of context.

The Fortress
August 7th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Ah Sarah, I dunno. They may have just asked a question and she smiled before answering. In anycase I don't think she has to pout. I agree though typical protesters useually have a much more un-washed, straggly look, and smell of the forest.

Mr Liberal. I think you've now bashed country dwellers, the South and protesters!

C'mon guys. Protest and free speech are good. Throwing feces is not though.

tjburk
August 7th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Roid rage. Go take a swim and relax.

Lots of radical groups do radical things, get over it. It's called America, that stuff is allowed, and encouraged.

As a matter of fact it is considered assault and is illegal....

Maybe that is my problem....haven't been able to swim for the last couple of months............

aquageek
August 7th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Iwannafly - stop fanning the flames! tj has gone beserk today, this will make him even crankier.

SwimStud
August 7th, 2008, 10:52 AM

Oh that BLATANTLY calls for this....

Whose America?

Yours?

NOT MINE.

chaos
August 7th, 2008, 10:53 AM
That is why we have this system of "Majority Rules" not minority......

must be nice to be the majority...........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raTN0lkis4w

tjburk
August 7th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Not only does Spock never say that it is okay to assault somebody, even in protest, he never even mentions PETA. He simply said that he finds it courageous for somebody to take a stand against injustices. How does the fact that Spock thinks it's okay for Beard to support PETA (because maybe she believes in their core values and not necessarily all of their methods) equate to throwing poo? Step back and look at his comments and tell me how you haven't taken them way out of context.

Well....like with Spock...I would say agree to disagree.....I interpreted that way different than you did........When someone tells me that they think someones illegal acts are "Courageous" (that is the way I interpret what was said) I take issue with it.

aquageek
August 7th, 2008, 10:56 AM
He never cited a single act, tj, get off the high horse, or scuba dog, or whatever you are riding today. It was a general statement about taking a stand. If you have to interpret his statement then you have already acknowledged he did not say it, move on.

SwimStud
August 7th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Well....like with Spock...I would say agree to disagree.....I interpreted that way different than you did........When someone tells me that they think someones illegal acts are "Courageous" (that is the way I interpret what was said) I take issue with it.

TJ.
The Revolt in this very country was "illegal" in terms of you went against the governing body--civil disrupton and not paying taxes to the crown (OK a gloss coat I know). Would you say that is un-courageous?

Many a courageous act was illegal at the time it was committed. Suffrage for example, though god knows now women have a political voice we're in a dire mess...Sometimes these things are done to make change.

tjburk
He never cited a single act, tj, get off the high horse, or scuba dog, or whatever you are riding today. It was a general statement about taking a stand. If you have to interpret his statement then you have already acknowledged he did not say it, move on.

You have your opinion....I have mine!

Iwannafly

Nowhere in the running commentary between you and Spock does the subject of PETA, illegal acts or feces come up. You mentioned it when you were debating with Hulk, but it does not come up between you and Spock. I don't even see how you can interpret this string as him saying that it's okay to assault somebody or throw poo on their fur.

tjburk
August 7th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Nowhere in the running commentary between you and Spock does the subject of PETA, illegal acts or feces come up. You mentioned it when you were debating with Hulk, but it does not come up between you and Spock. I don't even see how you can interpret this string as him saying that it's okay to assault somebody or throw poo on their fur.

You left out the one where I was talking about people throwing feces at others.....kind of changes the whole discussion when you leave that out! Put the whole thing in there!!!

Spock was responding to the comment I made to Hulk. If not, then yes...I apologize to Spock....I took it as a response to the feces comment.

SwimStud
August 7th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Mr Liberal. I think you've now bashed country dwellers, the South and protesters!

C'mon guys. Protest and free speech are good. Throwing feces is not though.

I'm not against free speech. I just call 'em like I see 'em. Some protesters are there just to cause mayhem, not promote the cause.

MLK understood this. If you can't remain passive don't march. Oh, weren't a lot of the Civil Right's activities--sit ins at whites only diners and such--illegal too? Rosa Parks broke the law when she sat at the front.

I'm not saying poop flinging is tasteful, but labelling any illegal protest as not courageous is not correct either.

Iwannafly
August 7th, 2008, 11:10 AM
You left out the one where I was talking about people throwing feces at others.....kind of changes the whole discussion when you leave that out! Put the whole thing in there!!!

Spock was responding to the comment I made to Hulk. If not, then yes...I apologize to Spock....I took it as a response to the feces comment.

If you click the little arrow on top of Spock's post about him thinking the act courageous, it will take you to his original post. There you will see that he quoted your original message about personal politics. The comment about feces was in a discussion with Hulk and it was not the topic of any of Spock's replies. That's why I left it out.

aquageek
August 7th, 2008, 11:15 AM
You have your opinion....I have mine!

He never cited specific acts by PETA, that's not an opinion, that's a fact. Dang - you are really fired up, strange.

BTW - you know who would agree with your silly statement about protecting the majority - Jim Crow, for sure.

geochuck
August 7th, 2008, 11:16 AM
If it were not for cows we would not be able to have steak. I am in favour of feeding those cows protect them so we have a good supply.

I love eggs keep those chickens well fed so they produce lots of eggs. They also make great meals from KFC.

Feed those porkers they supply us with great ribs. Heinz would go out of business if we did not use Ketchup in our BBQ mix.

If we did not eat pork, beef, chicken BBQ manufacturers would go out of business.

The economy works because we eat all these critters.

tjburk
August 7th, 2008, 11:21 AM
If you click the little arrow on top of Spock's post about him thinking the act courageous, it will take you to his original post. There you will see that he quoted your original message about personal politics. The comment about feces was in a discussion with Hulk and it was not the topic of any of Spock's replies. That's why I left it out.

I stand corrected.....thanks for pointing that out.

Going back and reading it again you're right.

Iwannafly
August 7th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I stand corrected.....thanks for pointing that out.

Going back and reading it again you're right.
That's something that never happens at home. I'm never right, so it's nice to hear those words!:-)

By the way, I like your avatar. Did you find it, or is it your dog?

tjburk
August 7th, 2008, 12:15 PM
That's something that never happens at home. I'm never right, so it's nice to hear those words!:-)

By the way, I like your avatar. Did you find it, or is it your dog?

It was one of those being sent around via Email....listed as the the New Navy Seal of Mexico.

I can send it to you if you want......

I thought it was pretty funny!!

pwolf66
August 7th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I am just tired of the in your face types of people that push their particular way of life on the rest of us....when the majority of us don't agree! That is why we have this system of "Majority Rules" not minority......

You might want to check that 'majority rules' bunk at the door. I can point out numerous things that the majority was in favor of that were at the least wrong and at the worst heinous.

Iwannafly
August 7th, 2008, 12:22 PM
You might want to check that 'majority rules' bunk at the door. I can point out numerous things that the majority was in favor of that were at the least wrong and at the worst heinous.
I think Paul must be tapering as well. You people are grumpy!:thhbbb:

tjburk
August 7th, 2008, 12:22 PM

I meant it in the way of our democracy....you can always find instances of "Majority Rules" being wrong.....look at Hitler!

tjburk
August 7th, 2008, 12:23 PM
I think Paul must be tapering as well. You people are grumpy!:thhbbb:

I am grumpy for the exact reason Geek said.......need a good workout!!!! It's killing me to not swim!!!!! AAAAGGGHHHHH!!!!!

3strokes
August 7th, 2008, 12:41 PM

But she weren't newed...........Does it count?

3strokes
August 7th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I am with Amanda. I have supported wildlife in the past. We used to live in Fort Saint James BC it is in Northern BC. They have a Bar called the ZOO. You have never seen wildlife like the wildlife you see there. The restaurant has a great breakfast it is amazing how well they feed those animals the day after.

But please tell us that you didn't pose nude back then..............

How are you feeling now? Better, I (we, all, I'm sure) hope.

cantwait4bike
August 7th, 2008, 12:48 PM

What didn't the current USA terrorist, Jimmy Carter, understand about this then?:dunno:

swimr4life
August 7th, 2008, 04:22 PM
What didn't the current USA terrorist, Jimmy Carter, understand about this then?:dunno:

He didn't....that was the problem.