PDA

View Full Version : Please Critique My Stroke

xxsprint
August 8th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Freestyle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PgA0gDMje0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLRwBds0PwU

I'm in pretty good running shape, probably 18:00 5K, but I get tired even doing just the little amount shown...and I get the most tired actually when I turn around.

taruky
August 8th, 2008, 12:28 AM
I've got to say that the video quality isn't very good, so it's pretty difficult to assess your stroke, especially in the second one. Couple observations;
1. Your head seems to ride pretty high. I couldn't quite tell, but I would guess your hips drop a bit. There are some people who ride really high because they are blazing fast.
2. Your arms definitely slip in the water, i.e. I can tell you're not really "catching" water. I can't tell if your elbows drop.
3. Your recovery is a bit unorthodox, but I'm not really sure how much (if at all) the recovery form takes away from stroke efficiency. I've read different opinions on this.

Allen Stark
August 8th, 2008, 12:59 AM
The main things I see are that you bend your legs way too much in your kick,you don't get a good forward extension at the beginning of your pull,your arm is too straight on your pull(no EVF) and you are lifting your head to breathe.I'd recommend getting a center mount snorkel so you don't have to worry about the breath until you get your rhythm and then start kicking first and then add in the pull.

norascats
August 8th, 2008, 08:37 AM
You have to learn how to streamline your body. I'd have you do glides no kicking, no stroking. Glide gently till you come to a stop. Focus on getting your body in a line parallel to the surface. If you have a dense body, your legs will sink.
Then I'd have you roll in the water from the hips from back to front, then front to back. The breath comes when your body rolls. No head lift.
When you can do that comfortably, add a little flutter kick. The kick comes from the thighs, not below the knees.
This is much easier to do in person. Do you have access to a coached swim, or a swim school for lessons?

geochuck
August 8th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I was thinking your stroke looked pretty good but found when I clicked on youtube it opened another person's swim http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5G6vVxfAOs&feature=related

I have since opened your video. You do not have streamline, you fish tail when you breathe. When your arms recover you seem to be reaching for the sky to grab something in the air. Then they enter plop, plop, plop, not very rhythmic. Kick to get in control hold the knees togehther and do a very small flutter or don't kick at all until the kick right.

Once you smooth out a little get the head into the right position you should be OK.

I would suggest a few swimming lessons.

quicksilver
August 8th, 2008, 11:23 AM
A raised head will sink your hips.
The bent legs will create form drag.

Keep your head down. Kick with your legs straight.
Get horizontal.

It'll come together quickly after that.

geochuck
August 9th, 2008, 12:13 AM
I will try to answer your kick question. You should keep the feet in the water for starters. The heels could come out slightly not the whole foot. The kick is from the hip with a whipping action of the leg. The knee does bend slightly not anything like your knee to heel kick. To start with I would do a few lengths of not kicking. When I see someone that does your type of kick I suggest banding the ankles so there is no movement. While banded I would also suggest holding a kick board between your knees to help get your legs near the surface of the water into proper swim position.