PDA

View Full Version : Yakkers when swimming

renie
August 8th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Now that I'm swimming outdoors, with all its wonderful benefits, there are some disadvantages. Those sweet little old ladies who do sidestroke for an hour and stop you every couple of laps to ask questions that require more than a cordial yes or no response. Today was the worst--every couple of laps, I was stopped with questions such as, "A pool committee is going to be started," followed by a litany of all the problems deemed important enough to warrant a committee." Next, "where do you swim in the summer," followed by questions about that. You get the idea. :frustrated: I'm working hard and don't know how to handle this. I already explained that I was trying to finish my workout because I took vacation time in the morning to swim and had to get to work. That didn't seem to register. Thanks for any help you can give!

aquageek
August 8th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Oh, they may look sweet but they will turn on you, proceed with caution. They are feeling you out to see how much a threat you are to "their lanes," when you will be there, and how soon they can compile enough evidence to complain about your splashing. You can be assured that you are in for rough times ahead. I'd consider this at least an orange alert situation, act accordingly, trust no one.

gobears
August 8th, 2008, 04:59 PM
You could change your work-out to make sure you finish repeats on the other side of the pool (25's/75's/etc...). You could tighten your intervals so you're having to touch and go. You could swim an easy 25 or 50 between reps instead of resting at the wall. Maybe you should suddenly develop ear problems and wear ear plugs! Or you could buy one of those swim MP3 players...

:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

renie
August 8th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Oh, they may look sweet but they will turn on you, proceed with caution. They are feeling you out to see how much a threat you are to "their lanes," when you will be there, and how soon they can compile enough evidence to complain about your splashing. You can be assured that you are in for rough times ahead. I'd consider this at least an orange alert situation, act accordingly, trust no one.

Oh, that is so funny! Actually, they revere me as some sort of goddess since I am responsible for the lap lanes existing! They really mean well, but I know the ones you are talking about. Have encountered them at other pools.

renie
August 8th, 2008, 05:03 PM
You could change your work-out to make sure you finish repeats on the other side of the pool (25's/75's/etc...). You could tighten your intervals so you're having to touch and go. You could swim an easy 25 or 50 between reps instead of resting at the wall. Maybe you should suddenly develop ear problems and wear ear plugs! Or you could buy one of those swim MP3 players...

:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

All excellent suggestions! if only I could flip turn again, but unfortunately, due to inner ear probs, have had to hold off on them temporarily.:cry:

ViveBene
August 8th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Just be firm, clear, repeat that you are doing a workout, big smile. You could follow that with "Have a nice swim!" Then swim. They know how to take advantage better than you know how to resist being taken advantage of.

So long as it isn't your mum.

VB

ImFree
August 8th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Hide the noodles!:D

SwimStud
August 8th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Cough a lot at the wall and spit pool water out of your mouth loud.

Allen Stark
August 9th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Look at the pace clock(or a wrist watch) and audibly count down to your next start.