PDA

View Full Version : How obsessive are you?

renie
August 8th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I am so tired of defending my obsession to those nonathletes out there. People are always accusing me of overdoing it. So, I'm wondering, how many hours a day do you devote to any type of workout? My day consists of a 2 hour swim, 1 hour walk, 1 hour yoga. Or, on alternate days, 1 hour spin class, 1 hour lifting, 1 hour walk. I'm 57. Is this overkill? I feel great, have 11% bodyfat, the heart of a 35 year old. Love to hear from you.

aquageek
August 8th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Yeah, you are obsessed, big time, but it's ok.

Midas
August 8th, 2008, 04:00 PM
If you have the time, then it's OK to overkill. I also have the heart of a 35-year old, but that's because I'm 35. Unfortunately, I need to work so on average I get about an hour to an hour and a half of exercise in each a day. I would love not to work and to get in more exercise, but even if I never had to work again, I doubt I'd pull off 4 hours of exercise a day, even light exercise like walking.

pwolf66
August 8th, 2008, 04:01 PM
I would call it obsessive but if you enjoy it and it is not interferring with your other activities, then whatever.

I just adhere to the 'less is more' and the 'work smarter, not harder' schools of thought when it comes to working out. I used to spend 2-3 hours in the gym weight training but then I realized that I could acheive nearly the same results from 45-60 minute session and still have 2 hours to do something else.

tjburk
August 8th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I just wish I had the time to do that much!!!!

Right now I am doing 0 hours a day and it sucks!!!!

knelson
August 8th, 2008, 04:05 PM
My day consists of a 2 hour swim, 1 hour walk, 1 hour yoga. Or, on alternate days, 1 hour spin class, 1 hour lifting, 1 hour walk.

Is that you, Dara? Isn't it the middle of the night in China right now? :)

elise526
August 8th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I think it's awesome all you are doing and how fit you are! As long as the time you spend exercising doesn't negatively impact the important relationships or other aspects of your life, if what you are doing makes you happy then don't worry about what others think.

One time a catty woman at the pool commented to me, "Do you not have a life that all you do is swim until you drop?" My response was, "No, I only swim for the same amount of time you spend gossiping on the phone about other people's business."

Some people simply don't understand the passion or desire to exercise and be fit. Accept them in their lack of understanding.

knelson
August 8th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Some people simply don't understand the passion or desire to exercise and be fit. Accept them in their lack of understanding.

I hate to admit it, but I sometimes watch the show Wife Swap. On a high percentage of the shows one family's kids will be heavily involved in sports and, sure as shootin', the mother of the other family will be offended by this. It's really no wonder we have such an obesity epidemic in this country.

aquageek
August 8th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I hate to admit it, but I sometimes watch the show Wife Swap.

It's ok, let it out. I like Project Runway, A WHOLE LOT.

thewookiee
August 8th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I As long as the time you spend exercising doesn't negatively impact the important relationships or other aspects of your life, if what you are doing makes you happy then don't worry about what others think.

Crap...I have dumped girlfriends because they told me I spend too much time swimming and it should be with them. Those 2 hours a day in the pool are my escape...solitary time. I have told them...they can have the free hours I am not swimming or working...if they don't like it...too bad.

USMSarah
August 8th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I am so tired of defending my obsession to those nonathletes out there. People are always accusing me of overdoing it. So, I'm wondering, how many hours a day do you devote to any type of workout? My day consists of a 2 hour swim, 1 hour walk, 1 hour yoga. Or, on alternate days, 1 hour spin class, 1 hour lifting, 1 hour walk. I'm 57. Is this overkill? I feel great, have 11% bodyfat, the heart of a 35 year old. Love to hear from you.

I don't think it's overkill, I think it's great. You are in fantastic shape and you shouldn't have to defend yourself. I wish I had the time to do that kind of working out per day. Keep up the good work!

wookie - I'm glad you told those girlfriends of yours to take a hike. Swimming is time for yourself and incredible exercise.

thewookiee
August 8th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I hate to admit it, but I sometimes watch the show Wife Swap. On a high percentage of the shows one family's kids will be heavily involved in sports and, sure as shootin', the mother of the other family will be offended by this. It's really no wonder we have such an obesity epidemic in this country.

I was in Houston over the weekend. At the facility that I was at, there is a young lady with 2 prostetic legs. She was working a stair climber to no end. After seeing that, I don't have much sympathy for people that whine about being overweight and want some fancy surgery to get skinny. They want the results without having to do the work.

Ron Lockman
August 8th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I swim 3 times a week, one mile in the pool, around 30 minutes, and then 2 visits to the Pacific where I swim at least a mile each time. Last Sunday I swam 5 miles in the Ocean,,,2 hr. 55 minutes. Friends think I`m obsessed,..go figure! The funny thing is,..last week I had a physical and was told that my cholesterol was a little high LDL 113 total 186,...:dunno: the doctor suggested that I need to exercise more.

elise526
August 8th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Crap...I have dumped girlfriends because they told me I spend too much time swimming and it should be with them. Those 2 hours a day in the pool are my escape...solitary time. I have told them...they can have the free hours I am not swimming or working...if they don't like it...too bad.

Ah............the one advantage to being single. I'm jealous. Wookie when you get married things will change. Somehow I don't see you marrying a doormat. I bet you'll be swept off your feet and willing to do anything she wants. If wifey doesn't like how much time you are spending at the pool, I bet you will give in a little!

gobears
August 8th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Wow, I only get about 1.25 hrs at the most these days. Usually it's less. And I even rest one or two days a week. But I'm in my early 40's now. I would have thought myself a major slacker a few years ago!

One time a catty woman at the pool commented to me, "Do you not have a life that all you do is swim until you drop?" My response was, "No, I only swim for the same amount of time you spend gossiping on the phone about other people's business."

I love this. Did you really say this, Elise? Makes me laugh. A friend told me that a mutual acquaintance commented that I must not be getting much else done since I have so much time to work-out. Never mind that I'm up way the heck before she is every morning to get that work-out in. While she's probably on the couch watching TV late into the night and sleeping in, I'm staying in shape. It's all about setting priorities...

thewookiee
August 8th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Ah............the one advantage to being single. I'm jealous. Wookie when you get married things will change. Somehow I don't see you marrying a doormat. I bet you'll be swept off your feet and willing to do anything she wants. If wifey doesn't like how much time you are spending at the pool, I bet you will give in a little!

You know what you said to Fort about assuming? I bet I want either. I am somewhat bully headed/stubborn...that's why I am not married yet.

elise526
August 8th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Wow, I only get about 1.25 hrs at the most these days. Usually it's less. And I even rest one or two days a week. But I'm in my early 40's now. I would have thought myself a major slacker a few years ago!

I love this. Did you really say this, Elise? Makes me laugh. A friend told me that a mutual acquaintance commented that I must not be getting much else done since I have so much time to work-out. Never mind that I'm up way the heck before she is every morning to get that work-out in. While she's probably on the couch watching TV late into the night and sleeping in, I'm staying in shape. It's all about setting priorities...

Yes, gobears, in some ways I hate to admit it, but I did say it. I can truly relate to what this fellow is saying as I live in an area where the women think it is not feminine to sweat.

I also don't think they liked the fact that I wore a swimsuit top while biking. Wearing the swimsuit top (a tankini) made it clear I was a woman so the rednecks wouldn't run me off the road. Yes, rednecks have honor and wouldn't dream of doing something cowardly like running a woman off the road or throwing a bottle at her. I explained this idea to one guy and he seriously thought about wearing a jog bra so he wouldn't be bombarded with beer cans, etc. when he was riding his bike.:lmao:

The Fortress
August 8th, 2008, 05:05 PM
You know what you said to Fort about assuming? I bet I want either. I am somewhat bully headed/stubborn...that's why I am not married yet.

Hahaha, me too. I'd dump the workout critics as well. Why would getting married effect the amount of time one works out?

renie
August 8th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Is that you, Dara? Isn't it the middle of the night in China right now? :)

nope, not Dara, just a loony olympic athlete wannabe!

renie
August 8th, 2008, 05:13 PM
If you have the time, then it's OK to overkill. I also have the heart of a 35-year old, but that's because I'm 35. Unfortunately, I need to work so on average I get about an hour to an hour and a half of exercise in each a day. I would love not to work and to get in more exercise, but even if I never had to work again, I doubt I'd pull off 4 hours of exercise a day, even light exercise like walking.

Hmm, I do actually work full time, but have no life. :rolleyes:

renie
August 8th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I would call it obsessive but if you enjoy it and it is not interferring with your other activities, then whatever.

I just adhere to the 'less is more' and the 'work smarter, not harder' schools of thought when it comes to working out. I used to spend 2-3 hours in the gym weight training but then I realized that I could acheive nearly the same results from 45-60 minute session and still have 2 hours to do something else.

These things I know, yet continue to do a little too much. At one point, I used to run 13 miles every Sunday, then realized my times were slowing down, I wasn't feeling any better, and I wasn't losing any more weight, so I returned to my 5 mile runs. The truth is, I enjoy these activities, although truthfully, I would love to swim less yardage, but am afraid to cut back. Right now, I swim at least 3600 yds. 5 days a week.

SLOmmafan
August 8th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I do 45-60 minutes in the morning, and try and fit in another 45-60 after work. My wife does not swim, but she will often times do Kick or yoga at the same gym I swim at (at least in the evenings). I can generally fit 3000 meters in a 60 minute workout, so 2 per day is plenty of distance IMO. My wife is actually really proud of me for staying in the shape I am in, and she is definately part of the reason I want to stay fit and healthy. Married but no kids = no reason not to be hitting the gym/pool regularly!

renie
August 8th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I just wish I had the time to do that much!!!!

Right now I am doing 0 hours a day and it sucks!!!!

That's awful? Why is that? Workaholic?

renie
August 8th, 2008, 05:23 PM
It's ok, let it out. I like Project Runway, A WHOLE LOT.

OMG, one of my favorites! Now, there's Shear Genius, and of course, America's Next Top Model whenever. Yes, I do indulge in mindless reality shows on occasion.

renie
August 8th, 2008, 05:26 PM

Right, but you can't dump family, can you? Mine live all over the country and whether they come up to visit, or I visit them, they don't understand that exercise is how I start my day, and is the ONLY way to deal with them the other 23 hours (Yes, I cut down to 1-2 hours a day when they visit).:D

FlyQueen
August 8th, 2008, 05:27 PM

That sounds SOOO familiar ...

renie
August 8th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I swim 3 times a week, one mile in the pool, around 30 minutes, and then 2 visits to the Pacific where I swim at least a mile each time. Last Sunday I swam 5 miles in the Ocean,,,2 hr. 55 minutes. Friends think I`m obsessed,..go figure! The funny thing is,..last week I had a physical and was told that my cholesterol was a little high LDL 113 total 186,...:dunno: the doctor suggested that I need to exercise more.

Some of it can be genetic, and imagine what it would be if you didn't exercise. I heard a raw carrot a day will reduce cholesterol. You learn a lot from the older generation - lol.

That Guy
August 8th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Wearing the swimsuit top (a tankini) made it clear I was a woman so the rednecks wouldn't run me off the road. Yes, rednecks have honor and wouldn't dream of doing something cowardly like running a woman off the road or throwing a bottle at her. I explained this idea to one guy and he seriously thought about wearing a jog bra so he wouldn't be bombarded with beer cans, etc. when he was riding his bike.:lmao:

Alternatively, he could achieve the same result by wearing a bike jersey with an American flag on it. I understand, however, that you might not want to tell him this. :rofl:

anita
August 8th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I think the issue with most people is the word "swimming". If I said "I walked/ran/biked/shopped for an hour and a half" it would be fine. As soon as I say "I swam for an hour an a half", or better yet "I swam 3 miles", they freak. I think that more often than not, people are not able to swim for long periods and think people who can are freaks.

swim25
August 8th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I swim 1 and a half hours 4 days a week and cycle 2 hours 3 days a week with one day off playing golf. Consequently one day is swimming and biking. I feel like this is too much but I don't feel right when I wake up and just sit and watch t.v. all day. Maybe I shouldn't do a 2 hour high intensity bike ride after a swim, but when my friends call me up to ride I just get that urge to test my endurance again. Oh well it's what I like to do.

elise526
August 8th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Right, but you can't dump family, can you? Mine live all over the country and whether they come up to visit, or I visit them, they don't understand that exercise is how I start my day, and is the ONLY way to deal with them the other 23 hours (Yes, I cut down to 1-2 hours a day when they visit).:D

You said it, renie! If folks tell family where they can go so that they can get their exercise in, it will be a lonely existence on the deathbed.

david.margrave
August 8th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Excellent!

I

Allen Stark
August 9th, 2008, 12:16 AM
If it doesn't interfere with your health,your work,or your family it's not too much.If it does,it's their problem!
Of course asking forumites if you exercise too much is like asking the Pope if you go to Mass too often.

tjrpatt
August 9th, 2008, 01:23 AM
People that I train think that I am crazy that I come every morning to practice. Mostly, people I train with do 3 or 4 times a week. There are only a few of us that are there everyday. But, there is a reason for my vast improvement since the start of the long course season. I try to get as much long course training as I can because it is really good conditioning. Plus, it really helped get my 200 fly(and butterdly overall) back in gear. Now, I have to get in a little obsessive with dryland and aerobic work in the fall along with my mini-obsession with swimming.

Donna
August 9th, 2008, 05:38 AM
I was obsessive as a kid about swimming and now as an adult I am the same. Luckly I can share this with my son. In our family you are either an actor or swimmer. My daughter and husband share the acting bug and my son and I share the swimming bug.

Besides I don't ever want to go back to lazy and fat again.

swimshark
August 9th, 2008, 06:46 AM

Want my family? My sister and her husband just did an Ironman where they both trained 3+ hours a week and worked 10-12 hours a day (she is a VP, he is an engineer). My dad is 68 and still does triathlons. He starts every day with some form of exercise - swimming, biking or running. I try hard every week to get in 2 hours of swimming 3 times a week and 1 hour of yoga, pilates or spinning followed by 30 min of lifting. I don't work out side the home but do have a 3 year old with me which makes it hard most days. I have to get up a 4am to get in my swimming.

Obesessive? Maybe a tad but if it makes you happy then enjoy it.

turkish
August 9th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I used to swim 3 times a week, 2 hours a day till I graduated from high school. Then I went to college and learned to windsurf one summer. These days I windsurf 2 hours or so a day and if I have any energy left within me, I swim 1584 meters, 3 days a week in an openroof swimming pool. I kinda use swimming as my relaxing agent. Helps my arms, shoulders, and back soften up after hours of struggle with wind.