PDA

View Full Version : Can't understand blood test results, HELP!

aquageek
August 8th, 2008, 05:09 PM
OK, can someone explain this to my friend.

Let's take a hypothetical patient, call him Aquagood. He has the following lab results:

Total Cholesterol - 206
Triglycerides - 130
HDL - 56
LDL - 124
HDL/Total ratio - 3.67

Doctor sends a note saying "Cholesterol is excellent."

I don't get it, I mean, my friend Aquagood doesn't get it. Isn't anything over 200 bad? Aquagood can't cut out any more bad food, there's none in his diet.

A little help is appreciated with interpretation.

USMSarah
August 8th, 2008, 05:46 PM
i'm going to post a link to web MD...

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/guide/understanding-numbers

i'm guessing your doctor said that since your bad cholesterol level was in a very good range. i had written something else earlier, but i had your..i mean his numbers mixed up. keep up the good work, geek.

pwolf66
August 8th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Geek,

While they say 'anything under 200 is good' (not really) anything over 200 is not automatically bad. It all comes down to what the individual levels are. Those results have an EXCELLENT good/bad cholesterol ratio. Having LDL higher than HDL is always a good thing and LDL here is significantly higher.

gull
August 8th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Primarily we focus on the LDL. The target depends on your friend's estimated 10 year risk based on the Framingham Study. With 0-1 risk factor, the target LDL is <160. For 2 or more risk factors, the target LDL is < 130. For patients with established cardiovascular disease or diabetes, the target is < 100. So your friend's LDL is fine. In addition, his total cholesterol:HDL ratio is close to the ideal value of 3.5:1. The recommendation is to maintain a healthy lifestyle--and lay off the fried pork rinds.

aquageek
August 8th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Gull - this has set my friend's mind at ease, thank you very much, on his behalf.

geochuck
August 9th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Gull I just saw a report on pork rinds. It said pork rinds are a good healthy snack. Geek by your avatar pic I suggest you lay off all snacks and you could cut out a few meals also.

Primarily we focus on the LDL. The target depends on your friend's estimated 10 year risk based on the Framingham Study. With 0-1 risk factor, the target LDL is <160. For 2 or more risk factors, the target LDL is < 130. For patients with established cardiovascular disease or diabetes, the target is < 100. So your friend's LDL is fine. In addition, his total cholesterol:HDL ratio is close to the ideal value of 3.5:1. The recommendation is to maintain a healthy lifestyle--and lay off the fried pork rinds.

jaegermeister
August 9th, 2008, 08:06 PM
You didn't tell us about your friend's family history or his other habits.

Family history is the wild card. If no males in his family have died of coronary artery disease before the age of 50-60, then the usual calculations apply. Assuming no family history, if he doesn't smoke, isn't diabetic, and doesn't have high blood pressure, he should be in great shape.

JoeBob
August 9th, 2008, 10:35 PM
OK, can someone explain this to my friend.

Total Cholesterol - 206
Triglycerides - 130
HDL - 56
LDL - 124
HDL/Total ratio - 3.67

Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is 2.32, which is not bad. See if you can get that below 2 with diet and exercise. Mine was a whopping 10.5 last year even after I lost 20 lbs and was walking my dog 20-25 miles every week.

My family doctor wanted to put me on all kinds of meds because my dad's diabetic. My endocrinologist said no because he didn't like the side effects. Instead, we greatly limited refined carbs from my diet and I started to swim 10-15 miles each week. Having been away from the pool for 15 years it was pure agony at first. I am very pleased to say that today my triglycerides/HDL ration is 1.9 and the rest of my lipid profile is fine along with my blood glucose.

You can read more about triglycerides below.
http://www.healingdaily.com/conditions/triglycerides.htm

Good luck!

jim thornton
August 12th, 2008, 12:48 PM
You also did not mention if he likes to clean his guns while loaded or not. As the wisest cardiologist I know once put it, If you are born to hang, you'll never drown.

Personally, I don't want to get heart disease early, but I don't want to absolutely rule it out for the later years. The reaper comes in many morphs, and some are less pleasant than others.

Not for nothing was (is?) pneumonia known as "the old person's friend."

aquageek
August 12th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is 2.32, which is not bad. See if you can get that below 2 with diet and exercise.

Additional exercise (gym time) will result in another health/financial crisis for my good friend - DIVORCE

As to diet he's already scrawny and eats good food. It's gotta be the genes, thanks Dad!

geochuck
August 12th, 2008, 02:53 PM
I once found my Uncle Bob's shot gun in a closet when I was young. I proceeded to try and clean the barrel and much to my surprize both barrels were full of money rolled up and stuffed to the hilt. The money came out it was quite an amount. I took it down and showed the money to Aunt Dolly. Uncle Bob did not talk to me for about 2 years.

You also did not mention if he likes to clean his guns while loaded or not.

JoeBob
August 13th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Additional exercise (gym time) will result in another health/financial crisis for my good friend - DIVORCE

As to diet he's already scrawny and eats good food. It's gotta be the genes, thanks Dad!

Ah, we can't fight our genes. Mine isn't any better and my body seems to be quite sensitive to refined sugars these days. Quitting Gatorades and Starbucks almost killed me. I am glad that my buddies turned me to Cytomax and green tea. Oh yeah, eating wild-caught salmon and taking fish oil have definitely helped.