PDA

View Full Version : Women's 4x100

pwolf66
August 9th, 2008, 11:38 PM
What a race. Dara was running down Veldhuis. 5m more and she would have had her. 52.44??? Wow, what a swim.

Should Dara anchor the women's 4x100 Medley? I think this proves that she should.

cwilson
August 9th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Sounds good to me...she is a machine!

pwolf66
August 9th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Natalie just looked like she seized up with 20m to go. Out too fast?

knelson
August 9th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Natalie's start and turn were terrific. It was just the swimming part of the race that failed her a little!

hofffam
August 10th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I think Natalie faded a bit.

I too thought Torres tightened up a 75M but her last 25M was amazing.

USMSarah
August 10th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I think Coughlin took it out too fast and died. Probably over excited and just lost steam. Joyce and Nymeyer had nice swims - and Dara topped it off with that crazy mid 52... she will defiintely be anchoring the medley relay. Was scared to see the Aussies have Trickett anchor... but I'm not surprised that the Netherlands won - very incredible freestylers!

ehoch
August 10th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Coughlin, Joyce, and Nymeyer had very poor swims -- this is the Olympics - you should at least come close to your best.

Coughlin was way off --- Joyce equalled her prelims time WITH a flying start and Nymeyer equalled her trials time WITH a flying start. They can thank Torres for saving the silver. If any of the 3 would have performed at their best they could challenged for Gold.

elise526
August 10th, 2008, 03:12 PM
I was very pleased with how the team did! The JH matter has been very upsetting and must have hurt the women's team morale not to mention having been somewhat of a distraction. I imagine in the elite swimming world, fellow swimmers are somewhat like family. For some of these younger swimmers like Natalie and Kara Lynn (by younger I mean younger than Dara), I am sure it was very shocking and like losing a family member to have one of your own thrown off the team.

To Dara's credit, she has lived life longer, knows the cruel things that life can throw you, and was able to shake it off. She had a fantastic swim as I knew she would. Like her or not, there is no denying that she is an awesome competitor.

For all the trauma the team has gone through lately, I think it is awesome that they got silver!

Allen Stark
August 10th, 2008, 03:30 PM
With Natalie's reliance on her amazing SDKs she is often a bit of a crap shoot.I think sometimes she just gets into too much oxygen debt.She either holds it together and is really fast,or doesn't like in the relay.

FlyQueen
August 10th, 2008, 03:31 PM
I was really disappointed with the silver ... the women on the team didn't look happy either. I thought with the Aussies looking less than stellar that the US had a good chance - I wasn't thinking about the Dutch I guess.

Relays are strange - all four members really need to be "on" to really do something spectacular. Dara was a beast - she carried that relay. She should be anchoring the medley relay without a doubt!!!!

Magnuson looks fantastic, too. I think her swim (AR) makes it clear that she should be the flyer on the medley ... leaves Nat with backstroke, which is where she should be.

knelson
August 10th, 2008, 03:36 PM
For some of these younger swimmers like Natalie and Kara Lynn, I am sure it was very shocking and like losing a family member to have one of your own thrown off the team.

I don't think so. Those two are vets.

Coughlin was slow, no getting around it. She swam more than half a second faster at the Santa Clara meet in May, for heaven's sake!

elise526
August 10th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I don't think so. Those two are vets.

Coughlin was slow, no getting around it. She swam more than half a second faster at the Santa Clara meet in May, for heaven's sake!

They may be vets in swimming, but they are young in years of living on the planet. Big difference in how 25 year olds handle life and 41 year olds handle life. I think the JH matter has affected things and there is no denying that anything that can affect one mentally will have an impact on performance.

USMSarah
August 10th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Coughlin, Joyce, and Nymeyer had very poor swims -- this is the Olympics - you should at least come close to your best.

I agree about Coughlin... but I didn't realize KLJ and Nymeyer swam poorly. How far off of their bests were they? I thought they looked solid, but the clock is always the judge.

;)

knelson
August 10th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I agree about Coughlin... but I didn't realize KLJ and Nymeyer swam poorly. How far off of their bests were they?

Nymeyer's best (from Trials) is a 54.02. Her split was 53.91, so if you give 0.5 for the relay start she was about 0.4 off. Joyce's best is a 54.34 and her split was 53.98, so pretty much right on her best.

The swimmer they were really missing was Amanda Weir, who swam poorly at Trials, but has a best time of 53.5. Too bad she couldn't have been on form this year.

USMSarah
August 10th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Nymeyer's best (from Trials) is a 54.02. Her split was 53.91, so if you give 0.5 for the relay start she was about 0.4 off. Joyce's best is a 54.34 and her split was 53.98, so pretty much right on her best.

The swimmer they were really missing was Amanda Weir, who swam poorly at Trials, but has a best time of 53.5. Too bad she couldn't have been on form this year.

Thank you for those times... I'm with ya there about Weir not being at the games.

:(

elise526
August 10th, 2008, 05:03 PM

I think it is a better comparison to see what these gals' best relay splits are to see whether they were off or not.

knelson
August 10th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I think it is a better comparison to see what these gals' best relay splits are to see whether they were off or not.

Maybe, but those are more difficult to find.

Here's how the US team split the relay at World champs in Melbourne last year:
2. 4 United States USA 3:35.68 0.20
COUGHLIN Natalie 82 0.68 25.98 54.13 54.13
NYMEYER Lacey 85 0.34 25.70 53.50 1:47.63
WEIR Amanda 86 0.19 25.91 54.02 2:41.65
JOYCE Kara Lynn 85 0.20 25.58 54.03 3:35.68

Allen Stark
August 10th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I just heard several swimmers,including Lockte,Joyce,and Vanderkay had GI symptoms and were getting medical treatment with fluids.

tygrr94
August 10th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Go Dara, you're awesome! You're my hero! As someone who's just getting serious about Master's swimming, I have somebody to look up to! YAY!

:notworthy: