PDA

View Full Version : Rowdy Gaines

Charge
August 10th, 2008, 04:48 AM
I know he's a US Swimming icon, but he is really, REALLY hard to listen to sometimes. He gets so excited that he messes up names and strokes, but he also just makes crap up. Then spends 5 minutes trying to prove it.

I may have to mute him! God help him if Phelps is going for # 7 and 8 by the end of the week!

mattson
August 10th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I know he's a US Swimming icon, but he is really, REALLY hard to listen to sometimes. He gets so excited that he messes up names and strokes, but he also just makes crap up. Then spends 5 minutes trying to prove it.

Sounds like you have just created a new drinking game. :wine: Chug for every time a name is mixed up or something is made up, two drinks if he is trying to prove something that was made up.

That Guy
August 10th, 2008, 12:48 PM
also drink-worthy:

- Any time Rowdy's voice goes up an octave
- "Swimming's decathlon"
- "Splash and dash"
- an instant replay that consists only of the start, the finish, and the winner's reaction/celebration
- when Andrea Kramer leans at a crazy angle to keep from falling off her milk crate
- when the word "LIVE" is in the corner of the screen during an event that happened so long ago that you've already read a long thread of steroids accusations about the winner
- Commercial break during a race

I wonder if Rowdy will be doing the 10k open water events? That could be interesting...

Jazz Hands
August 10th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Rowdy has improved a lot. More analytical and less screamy these days.

That Guy
August 10th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Another one: when Rowdy (or whoever is using the telestrator) circles the wrong swimmer. Haven't seen it happen in Beijing yet but it happened many times in Omaha.

Allen Stark
August 10th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Don't forget"he/she is breathing to the right(wrong) side so he/she can(can't) see his/her competition."
How many of you have that problem,I don't race free much,but when I do I don't have any trouble seeing both sides underwater.
Also,not Rowdy's fault,but it would be nice if the showed more underwater shots and had someone who knew what they were talking about comment on technique.

Charge
August 10th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Yeah, you're a little blind to off breathing side, but you know who's next to you. Now if you're in 5 and some guy in lane 1 is making a move then ou prob don't see that, but it's not like these guys don't know who is swimming where and what to expect. Plus these guys swim their own race, it's not like they're taking their time out there and they they'd see someone two lanes over and start to really try.

selkie
August 10th, 2008, 09:49 PM
"Outside smoke"

Though that one's not a Rowdy exclusive.

Charge
August 10th, 2008, 10:13 PM
On Coventry:

"She's like a piece of Balsa wood in the water."

WTF?

Charge
August 10th, 2008, 10:18 PM
On the 200 free, "not quite that distance event, certainly faster than a sprint."

God, give me Josh Davis telling about how he's good friends or swam age group with every swimmer in the pool.

Charge
August 10th, 2008, 10:36 PM
You have to be able to close the door in Breaststroke.

Unlike the other strokes....

Charge
August 10th, 2008, 10:39 PM
It's like they don't let him out of the house for 3 years, 356 days. He's just so excited to breathe fresh air he can't help himself.

thewookiee
August 10th, 2008, 10:41 PM
So, one of the monday morning broadcasters, go apply for Rowdy's job and do it better.

That Guy
August 11th, 2008, 12:02 AM
So, one of the monday morning broadcasters, go apply for Rowdy's job and do it better.

rowdee drinkn game tooo efektiv. I are unliklee tu imprez prozpektiv emploierz untl i sobrz ub.

mattson
August 11th, 2008, 12:07 AM
It's like they don't let him out of the house for 3 years, 356 days. He's just so excited to breathe fresh air he can't help himself.

Just the opposite. He hasn't been getting his RDCA (recommended daily chlorine allowance).

I threw in the drinking game joke :drink: but (despite the flubs) Gaines does a good job of communicating how exciting swim races can be. I have to think that a more polished but less enthusiastic announcer (like Chris Collinsworth?) would not be a good trade.

osterber
August 11th, 2008, 10:00 AM
It's very very easy to mock people who are sitting behind the microphone. Put yourself behind the mic and do live off-the-cuff commentary on those races, and see how you do.

I don't think there's any sport that is televised where people who are knowledgeable in the sport don't think the on-air commentary is, well, "interesting".

-Rick

abc
August 11th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I like Rowdy and his commentating. He was a great swimmer and is still passionate about the sport. Sure, he makes mistakes, but that's what makes it fun to listen to. I hope he continues to be a commentator. The guy that is an idiot to me is Bob Costas. He was never a professional ahtlete that I know of, yet he talks like he actually know something about being a professioanl athlete. He is also highly condescending and I just don't see how the average American can relate to his pompous attitude. He makes fewer mistakes than Rowdy, but I ge the feeling that if you went out to eat with him the conversation would revolve around himself and how great he is. Give me Rowdy any day over Bob.

ndecker
August 11th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Put yourself behind the mic and do live off-the-cuff commentary on those races, and see how you do.

You're certainly right about that - it's a very difficult job and requires skill that most of us do not possess.

On the other hand, Rowdy can get a little over the top. I think that's the point here - not that it's an easy thing to do and that he can't do it well, but that he has a certain 'annoyance factor'. There are several expert ex-athletes doing commentary, such as in cycling and gymnastics, and they're very polished. They are knowledgeable, they keep the viewers informed, and they keep the commentary rolling in a very professional manner. We see them for hours, so in comparison Rowdy is a little, well, 'Rowdy' :)

Nick

hofffam
August 11th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Rowdy is just fine. I'd rather listen to an informed enthusiastic announcer than a repurposed wide world of sports guy.

Andrea what's her name on the other hand is just awful. Stupid questions and seems completely out of her comfort zone.

tjburk
August 11th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Rowdy is just fine. I'd rather listen to an informed enthusiastic announcer than a repurposed wide world of sports guy.

Andrea what's her name on the other hand is just awful. Stupid questions and seems completely out of her comfort zone.

Someon needs to gag Costas!!!!!

aquaFeisty
August 11th, 2008, 04:10 PM

100% agreement to both statements.

thewookiee
August 11th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I usually hit the mute button when she comes on. I know he isn't perfect, but I would rather have Josh Davis or Kaitlin Sandeno or Brooke Bennett doing the poolside interviews.

They have at least been in those situations at somepoint.

pwolf66
August 11th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I don't understand the choice of Kraemer. Wouldn't Summer Sanders have been a good choice? Swimming experience and broadcast experience?

tjburk
August 11th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I usually hit the mute button when she comes on. I know he isn't perfect, but I would rather have Josh Davis or Kaitlin Sandeno or Brooke Bennett doing the poolside interviews.

They have at least been in those situations at somepoint.

Quick change of subject......that Avatar is hilarious.....Ok back to the scheduled anarchy......

aquageek
August 11th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Lay off Andrea, she's a dwarf, a protected class.

psal137
August 11th, 2008, 06:06 PM
hahaha oh man, you guys are gonna love this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8JPyC339b4

thewookiee
August 11th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Quick change of subject......that Avatar is hilarious.....Ok back to the scheduled anarchy......

Thank You...Thank You! I would like to thank the frenchies for opening their mouth, very similar to Gary eight years ago, so that we may be provided with some humor at their experience.

You would think that people would learn...open your mouth and then proceed to get your teeth kicked in.

SwimStud
August 12th, 2008, 10:30 PM
About the competition:

"He's going to make them look like boys!"

:doh:

Maui Mike
August 12th, 2008, 10:40 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Reminds me of how I broke the WR for the 110yd free when I was 14. Our backyard pool was 22' wide. Fifteen laps with 14 turns was all it took.

ALM
August 12th, 2008, 11:14 PM
While watching tonight's coverage, I just had an idea...

New NBC swimming commentator:

Bela Karolyi

ALM
August 12th, 2008, 11:28 PM
"I think my mom could anchor this relay"

thewookiee
August 12th, 2008, 11:42 PM
While watching tonight's coverage, I just had an idea...

New NBC swimming commentator:

Bela Karolyi

I like this idea!

SwimStud
August 13th, 2008, 12:03 AM
"...they're 9 seconds under WR time!"

LMAO Did someone get out and sprint down the deck?

mattson
August 13th, 2008, 07:37 AM
"...they're 9 seconds under WR time!"

He apologized for the mistake on the next length, so I think he should get a pass for that one. There were a couple of times where the "WR" software reported the relay was 57 seconds slower than the pace (instead of a few seconds faster).

jonblank
August 13th, 2008, 08:19 AM
NBC needs to hire Mark Gill.

aquageek
August 13th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I'm a big fan of Rowdy. He's great and his excitement is enjoyable.

pwolf66
August 13th, 2008, 10:02 AM
"he/she has radar for the wall'

Sorry, even if that was possible, it's SONAR not RADAR.

mctrusty
August 13th, 2008, 10:08 AM
"I think my mom could anchor this relay"

That was hilarious. I almost fell out of my chair.

lefty
August 13th, 2008, 10:18 AM
You're certainly right about that - it's a very difficult job and requires skill that most of us do not possess.

Including Rowdy

thewookiee
August 13th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Including Rowdy

Then how about putting John Nabor and Andrea Kramer in the booth to do the play by play.

Then put Bela down at poolside for interviews.

jroddin
August 13th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Other technical mistakes by NBC:

Last night on the screen when they were showing Lezac it said he is the American Record holder in the 100 free (47.59). Phelps now has that record with his 47.51 lead-off split in the 400 FR.

Also, before the Semis started they gave credit to Sullivan for the Olympic Record in the 100 free for his 47.24 lead-off on the 400 FR the other day. Even if he went 45.99 leading off that relay, it would still be a WR but it would not be an OR in the 100 free. You have to swim the actual event to get an OR in that event. It became a moot point when Bernard went 47.20 and then Sullivan went his 47.05.

thewookiee
August 13th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Actually, Sullivan did set the olympic record and the world record. Since it is a measured distance and he was leading off the relay, he is given credit for both.

Michael Klim did the same thing in 2000. They label the relay as the 4x100, so the first leg is able to set world and olympic records for that particular distance.

Doesn't matter so much now, since it was been lowered twice.

tjburk
August 13th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Rowdy....his goggles could fill up with water.....
The other guy (LOL) his suit could fill up with water....

zanadu
August 13th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Rowdy also said during the 4x200 final that the U.S. was 9 seconds ahead of world record pace, then corrected himself.

Where is Summer Sanders????

lobaugma
August 14th, 2008, 09:24 AM
i do miss summer sanders...

Rain Man
August 14th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Rowdy's awesome. We're lucky to have a guy that's so dedicated to our sport. And Dan Hicks has come along nicely as the announcer. Remember that Rowdy's the "color" commentator... ever heard of Dick Vitale?

The most grating person to listen to... Cynthia Potter in diving. Can she leave the viewing audience with just 1 second of silence? No Cynthia, I did not see how the diver's left foot was turned outward 14 degrees more than their right foot, causing too much splash. And I doubt anyone else did at live speed either.

ALM
August 15th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I guess we shouldn't complain. It could be worse.

What if John Madden was the swimming commentator?...

3strokes
August 15th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Another one: when Rowdy (or whoever is using the telestrator) circles the wrong swimmer. Haven't seen it happen in Beijing yet but it happened many times in Omaha.

It must be really unsettling to the swimmers, suddenly seeing those outta-nowhere, etch-a-sketch-like lines white lines surronding them seconded by high-toned kvetch.

phdude
August 16th, 2008, 10:57 PM
way to put magnuson on the spot, kramer. guess we have a winner for douchebag announcer of the evening.

craiglll@yahoo.com
August 16th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I like Rowdy and his commentating. He was a great swimmer and is still passionate about the sport. Sure, he makes mistakes, but that's what makes it fun to listen to. I hope he continues to be a commentator. The guy that is an idiot to me is Bob Costas. He was never a professional ahtlete that I know of, yet he talks like he actually know something about being a professioanl athlete. He is also highly condescending and I just don't see how the average American can relate to his pompous attitude. He makes fewer mistakes than Rowdy, but I ge the feeling that if you went out to eat with him the conversation would revolve around himself and how great he is. Give me Rowdy any day over Bob.

I can't figure out how Mr. Costas keeps his job! I know some people who have golfed with him at celebrity events. they have all said he is very nice but dumb and boring. Worse when when you ask him where he is from, sometimes St. Louis sometimes New York. It must have been hard to have grown up in two cities.

SwimStud
August 17th, 2008, 09:49 AM
OK which anouncer are we going to tease now?

craiglll@yahoo.com
August 17th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Thank You...Thank You! I would like to thank the frenchies for opening their mouth, very similar to Gary eight years ago, so that we may be provided with some humor at their experience.

You would think that people would learn...open your mouth and then proceed to get your teeth kicked in.

The French might have made an overstatement but that doesn't forgive your prejudice. There are people on this board who are of French descent. I thought it was way over for Alain Bernard to say what he said. His bravado doesn't excuse your use of a derogatory word.

3strokes
August 17th, 2008, 10:07 AM
OK which anouncer are we going to tease now?

Take CBC's Steve Armitage (and Byron McDonald) ............... and PLEASE keep them.

thewookiee
August 17th, 2008, 10:56 AM
The French might have made an overstatement but that doesn't forgive your prejudice. There are people on this board who are of French descent. I thought it was way over for Alain Bernard to say what he said. His bravado doesn't excuse your use of a derogatory word.

Craig, the following thoughts come to mind after you your post.

:rofl: :soapbox: :doh:

Get over it.

Paul Smith
August 17th, 2008, 11:04 AM

I'm only prejudice against the frenchies using inhalers.....

aquageek
August 17th, 2008, 12:30 PM

Give me a break. If you can't back it up, don't put it out there. I don't care if your whole family is French, they never back anything up and should learn to keep their yaps shut.

tjrpatt
August 17th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Summer Sanders? Why does the Olympic swimming analyst have to be someone that won an Olympic gold medal. Can't it be someone who knows the sport and isn't going to make the constant errors that Gaines makes.

ehoch
August 17th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Rowdy really has to go - he is the expert analyst and he is just getting to many things wrong.

Example: Dara Torres race - "She lost it on the start - she lost the race on the start" and they show the start with Torres coming up way ahead of Britta Steffen ....

I also really did not like how excited he got when there was the potential of Libby Trickett missing the final in the 100 "that would be great" - that is very unsportsmanlike -- kind of like his fault start in 1984 ...

Sam Perry
August 17th, 2008, 08:04 PM

Would you prefer Frog?

Sam Perry
August 17th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Rowdy really has to go - he is the expert analyst and he is just getting to many things wrong.

Example: Dara Torres race - "She lost it on the start - she lost the race on the start" and they show the start with Torres coming up way ahead of Britta Steffen ....

I also really did not like how excited he got when there was the potential of Libby Trickett missing the final in the 100 "that would be great" - that is very unsportsmanlike -- kind of like his fault start in 1984 ...

Excited? Did you talk to him and ask him what he was, or are you assuming to know what goes on in his mind. I would bet (as I haven't talked to him yet but will attempt when he returns) that he wasn't excited but surprised. The arrogance on here of complaining about every little misstatement attitude and personality of anyone who cover swimming compared to the all knowing wise forum regulars here makes my stomach turn. I am not singling you out Hoch, there are many other examples of this arrogant attitude throughout this topic.

aquageek
August 17th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Excited? Did you talk to him and ask him what he was, or are you assuming to know what goes on in his mind. I would bet (as I haven't talked to him yet but will attempt when he returns) that he wasn't excited but surprised. The arrogance on here of complaining about every little misstatement attitude and personality of anyone who cover swimming compared to the all knowing wise forum regulars here makes my stomach turn. I am not singling you out Hoch, there are many other examples of this arrogant attitude throughout this topic.

Right on! Sitting in your living room waving your cocktail drink American flag is a whole lot different than announcing live sports. I think Rowdy did a great job.

tjrpatt
August 17th, 2008, 08:29 PM

Janet Evans said that she had a good start in her Yahoo blog.

Shaman
August 17th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Janet Evans said that she had a good start in her Yahoo blog.

Why can't JE do the commentary?

tjrpatt
August 17th, 2008, 08:35 PM
She does it for Yahoo as well as Matt Biondi. I read their columns every day during the swimming competitions. Janet was really gracious about the British girl breaking her world record although she would have wanted one of those American girls(Sorry, what are their names!!!!) to get it.

The Fortress
August 17th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I'm only prejudice against the frenchies using inhalers.....

Good, I've been pounding mine lately. :eek:

Rowdy was fine. He got owned on the 400 free relay though.

SwimStud
August 17th, 2008, 08:40 PM

I think much of it was just good humoured. At least on my part it was, but hey, if you are on TV that's going to happen.

Right on! Sitting in your living room waving your cocktail drink American flag is a whole lot different than announcing live sports. I think Rowdy did a great job.
I was waving 2 different flags depending on what was going on and I'm not drinking on my taper anyway! :p

rooinoz
August 17th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Rowdy was a special guest on Australian Channel seven's coverage of the Olympics morning show called "Yum-cha". I thought he came across as a very nice, pleasant, humorous fella.

CaliSwimmer
August 17th, 2008, 10:04 PM

I agree. I like Rowdy exactly BECAUSE he makes mistakes and calls things wrong and gets excited. He's a normal swim fan, like me! You can't help but get into the race even more with him commentating. Both announcers did a good job. I'm just glad it's over because I cannot stay up until 11:30 p.m. every night and still get up at 4:45 a.m. for swim practice!!!

dclaryjr
August 17th, 2008, 10:26 PM
I was fine with Rowdy's work. I just wish NBC could find someone else to do the post race interviews--preferably someone who knows swimming and could ask intelligent questions. I reached a point where I kept the "mute" on when Kramer's lips were moving.

elise526
August 17th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I agree. I like Rowdy exactly BECAUSE he makes mistakes and calls things wrong and gets excited. He's a normal swim fan, like me! You can't help but get into the race even more with him commentating. Both announcers did a good job. I'm just glad it's over because I cannot stay up until 11:30 p.m. every night and still get up at 4:45 a.m. for swim practice!!!

Agree 100% except for the getting up at 4:45. I don't do mornings.

I always look forward to hearing Rowdy. If you ever meet him in person, you will find him to be genuine and warm.

That Guy
August 17th, 2008, 10:48 PM
I think much of it was just good humoured. At least on my part it was, but hey, if you are on TV that's going to happen.

Agreed. If I were on TV or whatever, I'd probably start up the That Guy Sucks Blog myself just to give something back to the internet :mooning:

TheGoodSmith
August 17th, 2008, 10:52 PM
ehoch,

I'll have to disagree with you concerning 1984. Rowdy's 100 free start was not false (close albeit). The Aussie next to him had a slow start and Rowdy nailed his start. The difference made it look exagerated.

What people are not taking into account though is that Rowdy knows a tremendous amount more than the average "John Smith" nonswimmer on the street. He is forced to "dumb it down" for the American public along the way. This is a lot harder to do on the "fly" than you would think.

His enthusiasm is refreshing. He recognizes history in the making.

As for mistakes...... be lucky we don't have some ex football jock announcing that calls it a swim "match" or refers to the strokes as "the" back stroke" or "the australian crawl".

Blackbeard's Peg
August 17th, 2008, 11:02 PM

JM:"You see, the person who makes it through the water, and touches the wall before everyone else is declared the gold medalist."
---
I was ok with Rowdy, though his exuberance was a tad overwhelming at times. His comments about one swimmer being able or not being able to see another swimmer got really predictable. Hicks did give props to Rowdy by calling out his experiences, but Rowdy did a nice job generalizing it and not gloating.

But Andrea Kramer was just awful. She had the same mind-numbing line of questioning for everyone ("what does that mean to you?" "how does it feel...?") which led her to look amateur and unprepared, and in some cases, made some of these swimmers come off really dumb. There were few references to past performances (04 olympics, trials, prelims etc.) that would have really made for some real, poignant queries.

And her tact - or lack thereof - is mindblowing: not tossing a mic in Soni's direction after the 400MR, and then asking Piersol, Hansen and Lezak how it felt for Phelps to have 8 medals.

That Guy
August 17th, 2008, 11:03 PM
be lucky we don't have some ex football jock announcing that calls it a swim "match" or refers to the strokes as "the" back stroke" or "the australian crawl".

Actually we did... why was Chris Collinsworth there? I thought he did a fine job, all things considered, but what the heck was he doing there?

ALM
August 17th, 2008, 11:26 PM

JM:"You see, the person who makes it through the water, and touches the wall before everyone else is declared the gold medalist."

Ha, ha! Now imagine him doing commentary for gymnastics, or diving... or beach volleyball...

osterber
August 18th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I'm sure if we found a gymnastics forum, they would be throwing similar criticism towards Tim Daggett.

Frankly, it's comforting to be aware that they're doing this commentary _live_. Most swimming coverage we see on TV these days with Rowdy, most of the commentary is done _after_ the race is over. They do voice-over commentary the next day. So he's already seen the race on tape, and he's holding a printout of the splits. He knows who wins, and who has a great split, etc.

Doing commentary live to broadcast is hard stuff.

-Rick

ehoch
August 18th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I'll have to disagree with you concerning 1984. Rowdy's 100 free start was not false (close albeit). The Aussie next to him had a slow start and Rowdy nailed his start. The difference made it look exagerated.

I have actually seen an interview with Rowdy where he knew about the habit of the starter to start very quickly and Rowdy stated that he just went down and jumped - in the end it was smart, because he won. The video is somewhere on US swimming - the worst start I have ever seen at the Olympics.

About Rowdy being excited in Trickett's case, he actually said that it would be great if she missed the final. And about dumbing it down - I just disagree - you can dumb it down and still get the facts and calls right.

Since when is it wrong to point out the very obvious and numerous mistakes the lead analyst for swimming in the United States is making ? Maybe you guys simply don't know when is making a mistake - which of course is really arrogant for me to say ... but then again, I did go to USC :applaud:

aquageek
August 18th, 2008, 05:44 PM
but then again, I did go to USC :applaud:

An irrelevant school in the collegiate sporting world but you continue to drink heavily and convince yourself otherwise.

Glad you consider yourself smarter than Rowdy. You are super smart, much smarter than the rest of us, for sure.

mattson
August 18th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Since when is it wrong to point out the very obvious and numerous mistakes the lead analyst for swimming in the United States is making ? Maybe you guys simply don't know when is making a mistake...

Do you mean "when he is making a mistake?" I felt the necessity to point out your mistake. :thhbbb:

Frank Thompson
August 18th, 2008, 06:35 PM

Ehoch:

I taped that first heat of that semi final and did not remember Rowdy saying that about Libby Tricket missing the final "that would be great." What he did say was that she was currently 9th and Dan Hicks said Tricket is OUT. Then there was a delay in posting the results and they showed the Chinese swimmer that I believe won the heat moving on the block at the start and she was DQ'ed. It was then that the team of Hicks and Gaines said she got a gift from this and would be in lane 8 of the finals. There was no saying by Rowdy Gaines saying "that would be great" and if you happen to go to then USAS Convention in Atlanta, I will show you the actual footage of this. Unfortunately, they do not have that semi final heat on the NBC website. So I do not believe either Dan Hicks or Rowdy Gaines comments were unsportmanlike because it is true, Libby would not be swimming in the finals unless there was a DQ.

You are correct about the Dara Torres statement and he did say something about the start. Actually it looked like Dara was ahead until under the flags and both swimmers went to the wall with Dara coming up .01 short.

About Rowdy's so called false start, he took advantage of an opportunity that other swimmers did not do. FINA choose Francisco Sylvestri of Panama to be the starter for the Men's events at the 1984 Olympics. He had been the starter at both the 1982 World Championships in Cali and at the Caracas 1983 Pan American Games. In both meets there were complaints about him starting. It seemed he had a bad habit of telling the swimmers "Take your marks" and then firing the gun very quickly perhaps before the swimmers had had time to get into their set position.

Often it appeared that swimmers were jumping on there starts, and Sylvestri would fire the gun and walk away and sometimes he would call swimmers back and sometimes he would not. Most of time he did not and Rowdy knew who this guy was from previous meets and so did his coach Richard Quick knew of Sylvestri and his starting tendencies. There were a lot of complaints about him but FINA still had him be the starter. Before the final both Gaines and Quick talked about it and decided to incorporate a strategy. Back in those days there was two false-start rule and if he was called back it would be charged to the field and he would not be able to incorporate the strategy they devised.

Rowdy was also known at this time as having one of the fastest starts in the world and was known to have remarkable reflexes. When Rowdy went to the blocks he successfully anticipated the shot of the gun and it seemed to everyone that he started before the gun went off. Mark Stockwell, who was one lane over, had not yet assumed the starting position and was not yet completely down and Mike Heath, who even under the best conditions had a slower start than Gaines. He took advantage of this and immediately had a lead over the field and won the race. His time was :49.80, Stockwell was :50.24 and Heath was :50.41 getting 4th.

Both swimmers filed a protest about the start. What was strange was that Mike Heath was from the USA and he had to file a formal protest against his teamate. He was dead last of the blocks. Australia filed a formal protest on behalf of Stockwell to get Gaines disqualified for a false start. Don Grambril filed a protest against the starter but not the race itself. The FINA Technical Committee discussed the protests and rendered a decision in favor of Gaines. I remember seeing this on TV and it was very siimilar to what Milorad Cavic did with the Phelps race in the 100 meter Fly a couple of days ago and they rendered a decison in favor of Phelps.

The bottom line in this is that Rowdy Gaines took advantage of an opportunity that every other swimmer could have done, but didn't and because of this strategy, it helped him win the the gold medal in the 100 Free at the 1984 Olympics.

Paul Smith
August 18th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Although I can't understand a word of it...have you ever happened to catch aa soccer match from Mexico and here the announcer(s)?!

I have to say that if they aren't messing up a few things here or there given the speed/emotion they have during some of the plays I'd be shocked.

ARG does a great job in my opinion because he does know a LOT about the sport (JS is correct, he knows more of the behind the scenes gig then can be imagined...or discussed openly), his excitement I think feeds the TV viewers most of which like many hear know nothing about swimming...plus he's credible.

Andrea has to go...and keep the diving chick at the diving well. Summer would be great, again she knows the sport and has on air experience.

Sam Perry
August 18th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Summer would be great, again she knows the sport and has on air experience.

Not to mention she is easy on the old pupils.;)

marlenb
August 20th, 2008, 09:43 PM

Hahahaha...
"you see John, in the 400IM, whoever gets their hand on the wall first is going to win the race"

I love when commentators go all "Mr. Obvious" on you...

dclaryjr
August 21st, 2008, 08:55 AM
Hahahaha...
"you see John, in the 400IM, whoever gets their hand on the wall first is going to win the race"

I love when commentators go all "Mr. Obvious" on you...

That's called having TGO (terrific grasp of the obvious). ;)

Lump
August 21st, 2008, 09:32 AM
Rowdy definately makes some **** up, but then again you have to realize that most people don't know squat about swimming so it has to be "dumbed down". Yes, he can get annoying at times, but overall he does a pretty good job....WAY better than Jon Naber.

continuousharmony
August 21st, 2008, 11:12 AM
Just the opposite. He hasn't been getting his RDCA (recommended daily chlorine allowance).

I threw in the drinking game joke :drink: but (despite the flubs) Gaines does a good job of communicating how exciting swim races can be. I have to think that a more polished but less enthusiastic announcer (like Chris Collinsworth?) would not be a good trade.

I totally agree. Do not want to express my opinion about Mr. Collinsworth. Did anyone else think that him sitting next to Momma Phelps was uncool.

I just felt it was being to close.:blah:

aquageek
August 21st, 2008, 11:31 AM
I totally agree. Do not want to express my opinion about Mr. Collinsworth. Did anyone else think that him sitting next to Momma Phelps was uncool.

I just felt it was being to close.:blah:

She could have said no. Too much microanalyzing, let it go.

TheGoodSmith
August 21st, 2008, 11:38 AM
ehoch,

The fact of the matter is Rowdy's start was not a singular cause of his victory in 1984. If you ever swam with him (either a race or workout) you would realize one of his biggest assets was his ability to get in and out of his walls faster than his competition. Look at the tape of the race if you have access to it. The turn is very decisive. The Aussie would lose the race singularly on the turn regardless of the start. It was a classic 1980's American victory combining talent with superior starts and turns in the sprints as compared to other countries..... a result no doubt from years of short course training and speed work that many countries did not emphasize as much as the US.

Net...... The start looked fast....... his turn sealed the deal.

"I have actually seen an interview with Rowdy where he knew about the habit of the starter to start very quickly and Rowdy stated that he just went down and jumped - in the end it was smart, because he won. The video is somewhere on US swimming - the worst start I have ever seen at the Olympics."

aquageek
August 21st, 2008, 11:52 AM
I actually watched the tape with Rowdy himself talking us through it. John is right on with what he states. Why are we worried about 1984 anyway?

mattson
August 21st, 2008, 02:04 PM
I totally agree. Do not want to express my opinion about Mr. Collinsworth.

A few days ago, they had him pick his 5 biggest moments from the first week. He picked Phelps 100 fly at #3 and Lezak's relay leg as #1. So while I wouldn't want him doing color commentary during swimming, I am enjoying the fact that this football player was obviously (and probably honestly) getting into these races.