PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get back to swimming. Want to try out for 2012

Temanaha16
August 10th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Ok! So here's a little info about me first. I'm 18 years old 6ft. 1 and weigh about 140 lbs. When I was in elementary school I was on a swim team and was just as fast as high school students. I quit swimming just from moving around a lot. I want to get back into swimming to be able to try out for the 2012 or 2016 Olympics, my ultimate goal. I have already ordered my cap goggles, and jammer. BUT now I just need a swim workout that will prepare me for this! I want to train myself for a full year, before joining my local team! If anyone has a workout schedule they want to share please let me know! And one more thing! I picked up the task of smoking, but I'm talking with my doctor on quitting. So my lungs probably suck at the moment! So go easy on me!

pwolf66
August 10th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Ok! So here's a little info about me first. I'm 18 years old 6ft. 1 and weigh about 140 lbs. When I was in elementary school I was on a swim team and was just as fast as high school students. I quit swimming just from moving around a lot. I want to get back into swimming to be able to try out for the 2012 or 2016 Olympics, my ultimate goal. I have already ordered my cap goggles, and jammer. BUT now I just need a swim workout that will prepare me for this! I want to train myself for a full year, before joining my local team! If anyone has a workout schedule they want to share please let me know! And one more thing! I picked up the task of smoking, but I'm talking with my doctor on quitting. So my lungs probably suck at the moment! So go easy on me!

Why wait to join a team? You're 18. Do it now. That way you have a much better chance of not having to unlearn bad habits that you will set with a year of swimming on your own.

No Olympic swimmer I have ever heard of made it to that level by swimming on thier own. Get on a team, get a coach and get set for some hard work.

Don't talk to the doctor about quitting, he/she can't quit for you, YOU need to do it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

ande
August 10th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Hello

Welcome

congratulations on declaring your intentions here.

How fast were you when you quit?

i think you're just swept up with the emotions of the olympics BUT
if you're really serious

1) quit smoking now,
stop this instant,
don't buy cigarettes,
don't touch them don't get near people who do
make a NEVER AGAIN DECISION

2) join an excellent USS team now

3) start training NOW and

4) Read Swim Faster Faster (http://www.usms.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4229) and
consistently apply the concepts

I want to train myself for a full year, before joining my local team!
this is a mistake and just sets you up for failure

the big thing
is it's easy to get all fired up and motivated for a short term project
what are you going to do when your motivation wanes and
you don't feel like it anymore

I bet you'll give up

PROVE ME WRONG

ande

tjrpatt
August 10th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Join that King Swim Club or there is a program near Everett, Washington if that is close to you. That is all I know about the USS clubs in that area. Wait, I think that the guy I know from Everett swam at a club in Bellevue, Wash. Check the USA Swimming website for clubs in that area and find out the club's track record with swimmers.