PDA

View Full Version : Markus Rogan's start in the 100 Back Prelims

ALM
August 10th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Did anyone see the shot of Markus Rogan placing his feet for the start of the Men's 100 Back prelims? It looked like at least the top half of his feet were above the surface of the water. Don't the feet have to be completely under the surface of the water at the start?

thewookiee
August 10th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Nope. They changed the rule. Your toes can be above the surface, the heels have to be in/touching the water though.

Chris Stevenson
August 10th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Nope. They changed the rule. Your toes can be above the surface, the heels have to be in/touching the water though.

Almost all the backstrokers I saw had some part of their feet above the waterline.

You still cannot curl your toes over the gutter. Here is the wording in the USMS Rule Book (almost the same as in the USA-S book).

"The swimmers shall line up in the water facing the starting end with both hands placed on the gutter or on the starting grips. Standing in or on the gutter or placing the toes over the lip of the gutter or bending the toes over the lip of the gutter before or after the start is prohibited. A backstroke starting block may not be used."

I don't know the FINA wording but I assume it is similar.