PDA

View Full Version : The sickest swim I have ever seen

pwolf66
August 10th, 2008, 11:36 PM
was Lezak's final leg. A body length down to the WR holder at the turn. Some would think, I have to hold on for 2nd place.

Not Lezak. Where the hell did that come from with 25 to go. What an absolutely GUT CHECK. 46.0 split?

Way to go guys. Way to go. I'm sitting here just absolutely amazed.

pwolf66
August 10th, 2008, 11:45 PM
3:08.24 WR
PHELPS0.75 23.31 47.51 (2) 47.51
WEBER-GALE 0.06 21.89 47.02 (1) 1:34.53
JONES 0.38 22.68 47.65 (2) 2:22.18
LEZAK 0.04 21.50 46.06 (1) 3:08.24

Check out those RT's, I freaked when W-G went off because I was sure he left early and then Lezak cuts it even closer. .04????? Talk about having just your big toe on the block on the touch. Holy cow. Jones looks positively glaciar compared to those 2.

thewookiee
August 10th, 2008, 11:47 PM
That was the toughest I have seen Lezak race at a big time meet! Congrats on a swim that is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond words!!!

That Guy
August 10th, 2008, 11:49 PM
If my kids weren't sleeping, I would have been screaming! UN BLEEPING BELIEVABLE

USMSarah
I'm freaking out. That had to be the most incredible swim, ever. Lezak is the official stud of the USA swim team. I still cannot believe it. Isn't he the oldest male USA swimmer?

SUPERMAN. HE IS SUPERMAN.

GOOOOOOO USA!!!!!

fatboy
an amazing performance by the entire team - great job by Lezak

Skaterbaj
August 10th, 2008, 11:56 PM
THat race WAS TIGHTTTT ME AND MY MOM WERE GOIN FOR LEZAK COMIN FROM BEHIND O MAN THAT WAS CRAZY.. MY BROTHER EVEN CALLED FROM CUBA to tell me if i saw the race that was crazy.. how many teams went under wr pace wasnt it 4?? sheeessh

jaegermeister
August 10th, 2008, 11:56 PM
My kids were awake, we were all yelling like crazy!! GREAT video of Phelps and Weber-Gale yelling their brains out leading up to the finish, with their reaction to the win recorded for posterity. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

The French splits must have been a little slow. How did that happen?

FlyQueen
August 10th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Insane ... that was amazing. I really thought it was all over ... so amazing!!!

cowsvils
August 11th, 2008, 12:08 AM
If only the USA team had busted out air guitars, it would have absolutely made my life. I can't really put it any better than anyone else has in this thread. I thought Lezak was cooked on the start when he was diving in behind the (former now after sullivan?) world record holder, I thought he was cooked coming off the turn, and I thought he was cooked after he made that first really big charge, yet he hung on to win it... amazing, epic, awe inspiring, call it what you will, but that is a race for the ages.

Warren
August 11th, 2008, 12:10 AM
That was an absolute stylish performance. I did a bigger fist pump than phelps and weber-gale. That was the best race i have ever seen.

elise526
August 11th, 2008, 12:20 AM
The greatest race ever! I'm so glad my 9 year old was up to see it! What a lesson in determination, toughness, and finishing strong!!

Spock
August 11th, 2008, 03:15 AM
Go Gauchos! Lezak's swim was one for the ages!!!

Red60
August 11th, 2008, 04:40 AM
That was the most exciting Olympic moment I can remember since Franz Klammer went bonzo on the downhill slalom race in 1976 (I missed the Miracle on Ice). I am so happy. Jason Lezak is my hero. What a gutty gutty thing. Unbelievable. Totally unbelievable.

psal137
August 11th, 2008, 07:00 AM
46.06 converts to a 39.75 in yards...

cowsvils
August 11th, 2008, 07:37 AM
His split was the fastest ever, breaking the last record by .73 seconds, that's Phelpsian record breaking right there.

CreamPuff
August 11th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I cried.

mctrusty
August 11th, 2008, 08:40 AM
That. Was. Awesome.

Redbird Alum
August 11th, 2008, 09:05 AM
The swim was great, and the announcers (including Rowdie) had to eat their own words! The poor French team is probably still wondering what happened!

Charge
August 11th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Phelps had a hell of a second 50, 24.2!

ViveBene
August 11th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I think they know some of it. I didn't watch it (TV-free zone), but here's a tidbit from AOL news. All's fair...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

<quote>
Few sporting events live up to the hype - this one exceeded it. The 32-year-old Lezak was nearly a body length behind Bernard as they made the final turn, but the American hugged the lane rope and stunningly overtook him on the very last stroke.
Wow!
"This has been happening my whole career," Lezak said. "People have gotten on my lane line and sucked off of me, so I figured this is the one opportunity in my whole career to do that."
</quote>

knelson
August 11th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I didn't watch it (TV-free zone)

That swim alone was worth buying a TV for.

ViveBene
August 11th, 2008, 09:37 AM
That swim alone was worth buying a TV for.

At least renting! Absolutely, you are right: get me to a TV.
I enjoy the diving as well.
The figure skaters are sent round on a Champions Tour or some such, so I have seen them up close and in person, but not so for most of the sports.

Go swimmers!
:applaud:

mattson
August 11th, 2008, 09:40 AM
The swim was great, and the announcers (including Rowdie) had to eat their own words!

Rowdie did say it would take perfect relay swims to beat the French. Considering what we saw, and the final margin, he was right on that point.

ourswimmer
August 11th, 2008, 09:45 AM
"This has been happening my whole career," Lezak said. "People have gotten on my lane line and sucked off of me, so I figured this is the one opportunity in my whole career to do that."

I couldn't believe Bernard was giving him that opportunity, but Lezak worked that draft perfectly. Bernard should have been way over at the other side of his lane.

That was worth watching even though my mother on the East Coast had already spoiled the outcome for me by emailing me to exclaim "did you see that"? Well, no, not yet, Mom.

imspoiled
August 11th, 2008, 09:45 AM
WOW!

The whole family was up watching the relay. I'm screaming at the TV like I'm on the side of the pool, my husband gets up close like he wants to jump through the TV, my daughter was in her room whimpering because it looked like they were going to get beat, and my son was supposed to be sleeping so he stayed quiet until the end when he couldn't contain the scream.:bouncing:

If Michael Phelps gets his million dollar bonus he should sign it right over to Jason Lezak. The was one heck of a swim.

richabrahams
August 11th, 2008, 12:28 PM
My neighbors must have thought a murder was happening in my house the screaming was so loud.

I loved the teammate reactions behind the blocks. Could Phelps have flexed another muscle in his entire body? Dude could have lifted a jumbo jet at that moment.

The French looked absolutely devastated a the finish but just grace on the awards stand.

It took me two hours to calm down enough to go to sleep.

aquageek
August 11th, 2008, 12:31 PM
The French - never ever put any money on the French. The are well versed in the "huh, what just happened" face.

BillS
August 11th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I saw somewhere something about Phelps becoming a bit blase about gold medals, maybe he didn't react enough to his wins at trials, etc. etc. etc.

Think he didn't want that one last night? That shot of him standing at the block just willing Lezak to bring it home and hit the wall first, and his reaction when he saw the scoreboard, said it all. Rowdy may have given up on the gold about 35m into Lezak's swim, but Lezak and Phelps never did.

Cullen Jones may not have worn a Nike suit, but I think Nike is probably glad it invested in him.

Great job, guys.

Trichica
August 11th, 2008, 01:05 PM
What a race and what an amazing moment. I heard the trash talk earlier in the day and was so, so pumped for the race and wanted the US to smash them. I screamed so loud, I woke up the neighbors no doubt!

This picture says it all.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/photo?slug=d536859bb8e83b46bbfbfd106f97bd2f-getty-oly-2008-swimming-freestyle-relay&prov=getty

USMSarah
August 11th, 2008, 01:26 PM
This picture says it all.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/photo?slug=d536859bb8e83b46bbfbfd106f97bd2f-getty-oly-2008-swimming-freestyle-relay&prov=getty

LOL.

quicksilver
August 11th, 2008, 01:33 PM
They just put the video up on the Tube.

Best race ever.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5651967468365024561&ei=sXagSOXeBYH2qgKjy6XeAQ&q=4+x+100+beijing+relay&vt=lf

GGS5T
August 11th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I was watching that relay swim on television over here in the UK with a few friends. None of us believed, with 25 metres to go, that it was possible for Lezak to win that race.

If Phelps manages to get all 8 golds, Lezak's effort may still be seen as the swim of the Games.

Absolutely AWESOME!

Trichica
August 11th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Here is the whole race--some back ground music--and a shot at the end of Bernard crying at the edge of the pool--ok, sulking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrsBvw21gUQ

ourswimmer
August 11th, 2008, 02:59 PM
and a shot at the end of Bernard crying at the edge of the pool--ok, sulking

Are you really making fun of him, or criticizing him, for crying? I have cried under similar circumstances, and I bet a lot of other people--men and women alike--on this forum have too.

Sure, it's classier to wait until you are in private to cry about such events, but crying immediately after you lose such a high-profile contest is hardly the poor sportsmanship that sulking would be. I mean, I didn't see him rejecting a handshake or anything because he was too busy crying.

waves101
August 11th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Has to be the best race ever. My wife is a non-swimmer but watches me at meets. She actually jumped out of her chair. I thought I was pumped!

aquaFeisty
August 11th, 2008, 04:06 PM
So my husband and I went up to bed before the last relay (he gets up at 4:40 and it was after 10 here). We are screaming at the screen during the whole thing, esp. through Lezak's swim, cheering at the finish, then watching intently the 10-15 times they replayed the final 20m on NBC (I could have easily watched 50 replays)...

He says, "How the hell are we supposed to sleep after that swim?"
He gets up and starts heading downstairs... I'm thinking to get a glass of water or something.
I say, "Oooh, Chris, get your laptop and bring it up so we can see all the splits!!!"
From the stairs: "Where do you think I'm going?" :D

Trichica
August 11th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Are you really making fun of him, or criticizing him, for crying? I have cried under similar circumstances, and I bet a lot of other people--men and women alike--on this forum have too.

Sure, it's classier to wait until you are in private to cry about such events, but crying immediately after you lose such a high-profile contest is hardly the poor sportsmanship that sulking would be. I mean, I didn't see him rejecting a handshake or anything because he was too busy crying.

I am making fun of him for trash talking. I have been competing in sports my entire life and I have cried on more occassions that I care to recall--and am so emotional that I cried when Phelps mom cried on his first gold. So I am probably more moved to cry on any given occassion.

My comment was directed at his big mouth. Has he not opened his big mouth, I would have felt for him as I did for Hoff when she lost by such a minuscule of a margin.

rooinoz
August 11th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Wasn't Bernard the world record holder over 100 metres? Didn't he have almost a full body length on Jason Lezak at the beginning of that last lap?
How fast did Jason swim? Because that was super human. He was brilliant!!!!

pwolf66
August 11th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Wasn't Bernard the world record holder over 100 metres? Didn't he have almost a full body length on Jason Lezak at the beginning of that last lap?
How fast did Jason swim? Because that was super human. He was brilliant!!!!

Until Sullivan's 47.24 lead off, yes. And Lezak split a 46.06 :bow:

ourswimmer
August 11th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I am making fun of him for trash talking.

My comment was directed at his big mouth. Has he not opened his big mouth, I would have felt for him as I did for Hoff when she lost by such a minuscule of a margin.

I think that's fair. In the larger context, his reaction did seem as if maybe il peut le donner mieux qu'il peut l'accepter.

I did feel bad for him, though, big mouth or not. Just as the shots of the Americans jumping and hugging captured how thrilling it must feel to win something so major, that shot of Bernard's ribcage going in and out as he cried really summed up for me how awful it must feel to lose.

Justin Ritter
August 11th, 2008, 06:45 PM
...that shot of Bernard's ribcage going in and out as he cried really summed up for me how awful it must feel to lose.

I watched this race several times last night and while I don't have it in front of me right now (the various youtube versions have been taken down) I don't remember seeing him cry. Are you talking about when he's hunched on the wall, back to camera? I thought he was still just breathing hard after, you know, swimming a really fast 100. I was mostly just impressed by how massive his lungs must be for his body to be expanding so much as he breathed.

I'm sure he wasn't expecting that loss though. I bet he didn't even realize he could lose until the last stroke or two when it was too late. I don't know where Lezak pulled that out of but it was one of most amazing things I've ever seen. I don't even think Lezak himself thought he could do it, he just willed himself to win and made it happen.

I'm curious now what the 100 free will be like. If by some miracle Lezak can go bananas again he might have a shot. Bernard could either be completely demoralized or absolutely determined to redeem himself. And Sullivan now has the record back and shown he'll be fast too. It's going to be crazy.

BillS
August 11th, 2008, 06:57 PM
The video is available here at NBC's site: http://www.nbcolympics.com/swimming/news/newsid=194272.html#smashing+performance+u+s

Justin Ritter
August 11th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Yep, but they don't work on non-Intel macs, which is all I have. Very annoying that nbc couldn't just use a standard format like flash video which works on all machines.

But I have all of it tivo'd at home and plan on watching the race again when I get home after work (and swimming of course). I can't wait to see it again. And again.

pwolf66
August 13th, 2008, 07:33 PM
3:08.24 WR
PHELPS 0.75 23.31 47.51 (2) 47.51
WEBER-GALE 0.06 21.89 47.02 (1) 1:34.53
JONES 0.38 22.68 47.65 (2) 2:22.18
LEZAK 0.04 21.50 46.06 (1) 3:08.24

In all the uproar over the swims from this race, I must draw everyone's attention back to the exchanges.

The total RT for all 4 swimmers was 1.23 seconds. Yes, that's right , ONE POINT TWENTY THREE SECONDS!!!!! The 3 relay starts were a combined .48 seconds. That is just rediculous.

I know people who don't get off the blocks in less than 1.23 seconds and these guys had a start and THREE relay exchanges in that time.

I still find myself just amazed at GWG and JL at how CLOSE they cut it. .06 and .04. That's about as close as you can come to a perfect exchange.

Jazz Hands
August 13th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Jones was terrible, though. No excuse to go 0.38 in the Olympic finals. Either he wasn't prepared or he got scared by the situation.

Rain Man
August 13th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I don't know if Dan Hicks has ever swam a lap in his life, but his announcing of the final 7 meters was awesome. About time a major network commentator just let themselves get lost in the moment. That's like being down 2, watching the 3 pointer through the air at the buzzer, and it going in. Good job Dan-O. And Rowdy of course is the best, his mind and mouth moving in 5 different directions, thank God he survived his near-fatal illness. I hope they announce forever.

Syd
August 15th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Suck it France (http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=wvZoReRr37A)

Anyone seen this video, yet? Has sure generated a lot of hate speech!

USMSarah
August 15th, 2008, 02:03 AM
Suck it France (http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=wvZoReRr37A)

Anyone seen this video, yet? Has sure generated a lot of hate speech!

My fave part was the very end about him talking about Lance Armstrong and the TDF. The title was pretty funny.

Flurpo
August 15th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Okay...that video is a little over the top...ha,,ha...Jason Lezak made my year. I'm still buzzin over that race two days later. What an incredible swim...couldn't have happened to a nicer guy...

EllenT
August 15th, 2008, 10:49 AM
If only the USA team had busted out air guitars, it would have absolutely made my life. I can't really put it any better than anyone else has in this thread. I thought Lezak was cooked on the start when he was diving in behind the (former now after sullivan?) world record holder, I thought he was cooked coming off the turn, and I thought he was cooked after he made that first really big charge, yet he hung on to win it... amazing, epic, awe inspiring, call it what you will, but that is a race for the ages.

OMG every time I think of this I bust out laughing!!!!!:laugh2:

Thrashing Slug
August 22nd, 2008, 03:12 PM
I just watched the underwater video again. This is by far the most kick-ass race I have ever seen, in any sport. Lezak is the man!

I don't fault the French for talking trash either. I'm glad they did, that made it even more fun to watch. And they handled it with grace afterwards.

jillybean9621
August 22nd, 2008, 06:01 PM
I was extremely excited watching this race, even my husband was cheering, and I am pretty sure he is super board when I watch swimming or water polo on tv.

Doug Adamavich
August 23rd, 2008, 01:32 AM
That was a MONSTER swim by Lezak, it was simply the most crushing 100M I have ever witnessed. Utterly dominant, nobody could answer that performance.

I thought the froggies had it but Lezak simply did not give up. He fought back like a BAMF and won. Amazing.

In my opinion, I thought the American athletes represented us well in Bejing. Not only the swimmers but the gymnasts, fencers, and volleyball players have been good ambassadors for our country. There is nothing worse than seeing an amazing athlete act like a spoiled child at a big event. Thankfully, we got to see incredible performances and sportsmanship during these games from our team.

Well done.

MAC swimmer
August 23rd, 2008, 06:25 AM
The man is a beast! Just a beast! "I got sick of losing..." YEAH!!!!!!!!!! How do you like us now froggies!!!

sbtpbl
November 6th, 2008, 07:35 AM
I was yelling so hard I threw up! Never seen anything like it!

waves101
November 6th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Just reading (again) through this thread gave me chills (again). Maybe we should refer all those requesting a pick me up to this thread.

haroldbuck
November 6th, 2008, 10:14 AM
My featured flair on Facebook is Phelps celebrating the win with his teammates with overprinted text saying "Suck It, France!"

mjgold
November 6th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I have that too, haha. I don't know how long it's been up there, so it might be old news, but NBC has the whole relay shown underwater on its Olympic site. My computer is a complete piece of crap, so this might be the wrong link, but you can find it here (http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/player.html?assetid=0811_hd_swb_hl_l0194&channelcode=sportsw)--I think.