PDA

View Full Version : Have you swum in a pool where the Olympics were swum

aztimm
August 11th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Hello~

Since nearly everyone in my office knows that I swim, I seem to be getting all of the questions/comments about swimming at the Olympics.

I got an interesting question....
Have you swum in a pool where the Olympics swimming events took place?

Offhand, I don't know the answer for myself. I just spent 30 minutes googling, and although I can find the cities where the Olympics took place, I can't find the sites where swimming specifically took place. If anyone has a list (or knows where one is), that would be great. I've been to many of the cities, toured Olympic stadiums, and could have possibly swam in some of the pools that were used.

Otherwise, it would be great to read some stories of others who have swum in pools where the Olympics took place. I asked 2 guys after our practice this morning, both had....1 in LA, the other in Moscow.

slknight
August 11th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Yes, I have swum in both the Montreal pool (age group meet in the 80s) and the LA pool (USS LC Nats in 1989 or was it 90?).

Ian Smith
August 11th, 2008, 04:46 PM
The Montreal (1976 Olympics) pool is still around and used.

I have swum in a masters meet there. Here is their web site:

http://www.rio.gouv.qc.ca/pub/centre/centre_installations.jsp?locale=en

I believe it has been somewhat modified since the games: e.g. spectator seating has been reduced to provide more sports facility space.

zmontgo
August 11th, 2008, 05:10 PM
1988 USC pool CA, I swam at western zones august of 89

1996 Atlanta Georgia at Georgia Tech, May 2002 I swam there

probably best thing to do would be get a thread going with a list and locations of pools.

zmontgo
August 11th, 2008, 05:39 PM
I just started this to see how far it would go.

1896 I Athens Greece, At the 1896 Summer Olympics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1896_Summer_Olympics), four swimming (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swimming) events were contested, all for men. They were planned and organized by the Sub-Committee for Nautical Sports. All events took place on 11 April (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_11) in the Bay of Zea (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bay_of_Zea&action=edit&redlink=1). Nineteen swimmers from four nations competed. (Wikipedia)

1900 II Paris France, In 1900, the Olympic swimming competition took place in Paris, with swimmers competing on the Seine River (www.edhelper.com (http://www.edhelper.com))

1904 III St. Louis Missouri
1908 IV London, United Kingdom
1912 V Stockholm , Sweden
1916 VI Berlin Germany Cancelled WWI
1920 VII Antwerp, Belgium
1924 VIII Paris France
1928 IX Amsterdam, Netherlands
1932 X Los Angeles, California
1936 XI Berlin Germany
1940 XII Cancelled WWII
1944 XIII London, United Kingdom cancelled WWII
1948 XIV London, United Kingdom
1952 XV Helsinki, Finland
1956 XVI Melbourne, Australia
1960 XVII Rome Italy
1964 XVIII Tokyo, Japan
1968 XIX Mexico City, Mexico
1972 XX Munich West Germany
1976 XXI Montreal Canada
1980 XXII Moscow, Soviet Union
1984 XXIII Los Angeles, California
1988 XXIV Seoul, South Korea
1992 XXV Barcelona, Spain
1996 XXVI Atlanta, Georgia
2000 XXVII Sydney, Australia
2004 XXVIII Athens, Greece
2008 XXIX Beijing, China

psal137
August 11th, 2008, 06:10 PM
ya i swam in the sydney pool, and it was hella confusing cuz they circle swim the other way

lanehog
August 11th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I'm going to Seoul in two weeks, and high on the list of things to do is swim in the pool in which Janet Evans set her 400m free world record. :)

geochuck
August 11th, 2008, 06:35 PM
You will never be able to swim in the 1956 Melbourne Olympic pool again it is gone.

tjrpatt
August 11th, 2008, 06:42 PM
No, but that would be something that I would like to do in my lifetime. I am hoping to go to Summer Nationals next summer to swim at the Indianapolis pool but they only had trials at that pool. Interesting thread that you started.

aztimm
August 11th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I don't know why I didn't think of Wikipedia.... Turns out my answer is YES (at least one):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoyogi_National_Gymnasium

I swam there quite a few times while in Tokyo (site of the 1964 games). From what I remember, it was a nice pool, but nothing earth-shattering. I did a summer semester in Tokyo while in grad school (summer of 1996), and swam pretty regularly. As expensive as Tokyo was, lap swimming was only about $5.

The other possibilities I'm researching are London, Munich, and Amsterdam (would be surprised if that pool was still around in 1994 tho).

For lanehog, I did go to the Seoul Olympic Park, but did not swim in the pool. If you are out that way, definitely check out, Lotte World, an indoor amusement park/hotel/dept store all in one. I spent a year in Korea while in the Army, and explored the country quite a bit, especially Seoul. Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions....I'm thinking of doing a run over there this fall to get a new suit.

tjrpatt
August 11th, 2008, 08:56 PM
interesting, didn't know that about swimming in Australia.

osterber
August 12th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Did a couple of workouts in the Sydney pool, once in 1998 before their Olympics, and once in 2007. Pretty cool both times. Though I was very disappointed with their lockerroom facilities.

-Rick

swimcat
August 12th, 2008, 06:48 PM
i swam in the munich pool at masters worlds in 2000. and the paris pool which is called georges valery. it is set up most of the time at 33 1/3 meter length. it is armed to armed combat swimming there.

richwaldis
September 17th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Wow, everyone has swum in some really exciting pools! I live in Atlanta and attended the games in 1996. The pool was built at Georgia Tech and my son has swum there for summer league championship meets. I swim as well, just haven't swum in that pool.

-rich

TinaA
September 17th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Last summer while I was living in Berlin I swam many times in the Olympiastadion pool. This was used in the 1936 Olympics. The pool is 50m outdoor with a diving well, and a small stadium around it. It is on the grounds with the Olympic stadium. If you take the stadium tour you can get a nice view of the pool and diving well.

pwb
September 17th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I got an interesting question....
Have you swum in a pool where the Olympics swimming events took place?

I've tried to do this whenever possible and have managed to swim in:
* Los Angeles -- nothing special from my recollection
* Sydney -- a mecca for swimming; gorgeous exterior architecture, wonderful swimming stadium
* Montreal -- definitely aged, but still funky in a retro way.

I am still mad at myself for having been in Barcelona on a business trip and not making the time to go out to the pool. My father, though, swam in Barcelona. I gather from his report that you need to be extra careful about cleanliness -- you must swim with a cap, must shower before and must walk on the deck with some sort of flip-flop/footwear.

I've not swum in an Olympic facility in Tokyo, but have swum in pools there. There's also a strong "must wear a cap" rule there, which, for someone who only grudgingly wears a cap when forced to by certain open water race organizers, was a pain. The first time I swam in Tokyo, not only did I have to buy one onsite for some ridiculous sum, but, apparently, I have a much bigger head than even the largest-headed Japanese person. I felt like I was wearing a beanie. On the positive side, the pool was exceptionally clean and I had a 50M lane all to myself, something I gather is an extreme rarity in Japan.

swimmj
September 17th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I also swam in the Montreal pool and enjoyed swimming in an olympic pool. I try to swim in interesting pools when I travel and swam in a royal pool in
Edinburgh and managed to swim in the pool at Hearst castle at a private party.

Doug Adamavich
September 17th, 2008, 03:29 PM
interesting, didn't know that about swimming in Australia.

Word 'round the campfire is when the AU team came to Flagstaff to train at the Wall Aquatics Center, they swam clockwise whilst circle swimming.

A former swimmer at Sun Devil Masters now lives in Perth (AU) confirms that the Aussis swim the wrong way in the pool.

If those darn Brits had just put the steering wheel on the other side...

Lump
September 17th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Been to Tech (Atlanta Olympic Pool) several times but as a spectator or a coach, havent' been in their YET. That should change this short course season.

bcm119
September 17th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I swam in the Montreal pool several years in a row in the early 90's. I liked it a lot-- funky and cool.

Visited the Barcelona facility but didn't swim in it. I was more interested in where the next sangria bar was at that time in my life.

To the guy who swam in the Hearst Castle pool-- that takes the cake. That must have been really cool.

Jeff Commings
September 17th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I've swum in:

Berlin
Montreal
Los Angeles
Atlanta
Sydney

aqualung
September 17th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I've swam in the 2000 Sydney pool. I've also swam in several 50m pools in central Sydney. I thought that one of those central pools was called the old olympic pool. Did I hear that correctly?
Yep. Aussies circle swim by swimming on the left. I got a lot of flak from one of the Aussie lifeguards when I had to confirm it "like the way Aussies drive on the left?" The lifeguard shot back "Don't get me started on how you Yanks drive!"
By the way, all of the pools that I swam in Australia were salt water. That was a bit different too.

ehoch
September 17th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Just got back from a Europe trip and while in Munich, I went to the Olympic pool there. All the facilities there are still in amazing condition and the pool is still the best pool I have ever seen.

Olympic pools:
Los Angeles (old pool - they rebuilt it, but it's still the same pool next to the stadium
Berlin
Rome (I think - had a meet in Rome and I think it was the old Olympic pool)
Los Angeles - 84 - know every inch of that pool ...
Seoul
Barcelona

osterber
September 18th, 2008, 09:58 AM
I've swam in the 2000 Sydney pool.
By the way, all of the pools that I swam in Australia were salt water. That was a bit different too.

... except for the Sydney pool. The Sydney Olympic Pool is not salt water, as of 1998 and 2007.

-Rick

Jeff Commings
September 18th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Erik is probably the only person here who can say he swam in the Seoul pool before it was renovated to its current incarnation.

mjgold
September 18th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Hopefully I'll get to swim in the Sydney pool in October 2009. That would be great. My girlfriend visited the aquatic centre and said it was very cool.

bigirishape
September 19th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I swam at the IUPUI pool in Indianapolis for State one year. That's where they do a lot of the Olympic qualifiers. I know why too, got my fastest times there. Spectacular facility, it's been a while tho...