PDA

View Full Version : Rebecca Soni

pwolf66
August 11th, 2008, 10:57 PM
What a great swim. Not the best start in the world but really turned it on at the end for the silver, nicely done.

My hat's off to Lethal Leisel. She looked sooooooo strong. Fantastic swim for the gold.

Man, that US Women's 4x100 Medley is looking stronger and stronger. Coughlin-Soni-Magnuson-Torres, whooooo that should be a fast one.

rooinoz
August 11th, 2008, 11:10 PM
What a great swim. Not the best start in the world but really turned it on at the end for the silver, nicely done.

My hat's off to Lethal Leisel. She looked sooooooo strong. Fantastic swim for the gold.

Man, that US Women's 4x100 Medley is looking stronger and stronger. Coughlin-Soni-Magnuson-Torres, whooooo that should be a fast one.

Lots has been said that the aussies are too strong in this relay but I think that USA is looking like they could very well challenge and maybe take the gold in this event
Australia will most probably field Seabohm - backstroke (very young, very nervous, 2 seconds behind natalie in her times), Jones - breastroke (can gain ground here), Schipper - butterfly (will be strong- will hold her own), Trickett- freestyle ( if she has the lead going into the last leg, then I do not think Dara Torres will catch her) .
It all depends on How slow Emily seabohm swims and how fast Manuson swims.
It will be an interesting relay

knelson
August 11th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Soni definitely made the most of her substitute role. Good for her!

USMSarah
August 11th, 2008, 11:48 PM
She really stepped up and swam a great 100 - her 200 is going to be fantastic!!! The medley relay is going to be really fun to watch.

Chrissy
August 12th, 2008, 03:36 AM
She really stepped up and swam a great 100 - her 200 is going to be fantastic!!! The medley relay is going to be really fun to watch.

I think Rebecca Soni is better in the 200m Breaststoke, no? She'll do well but with Liesel Jones in there sorry its shut the gate, Liesel is the best Breaststoker ever and she'll be very, very hard to beat especally now that she is very pumped up after winning the 100m Breaststoke today. But Rebecca Soni did do well in the 100m Breaststroke getting second but Liesel was just too good and too strong.

The aussies girls will win the Medley Relay race there is no way the US can beat us, sure they try and chellenge us but we have three of the best in the world: Freestyle in Libby (WR holder and World champion in the 100m Free), Breaststoke in Leisel (WR holder and world champion in the 100m and 200m breaststoke and now Olympic Champion in the 100m Breaststoke) and Butterfly in Jess (WR holder and world champion of the 200m Butterfly and second in the world championships and third at the Olympics in the 100m Butterfly) and Emily in the backstroke who is a very good backstroker. There is no way we can lose this race and the aussie girls have the WR in the Medley Relay too. I agree it will be a good race I reckon the aussies girls will brake their own WR that's how good and unbeatable they really are.

rooinoz
August 12th, 2008, 04:33 AM
The aussies girls will win the Medley Relay race there is no way the US can beat us, sure they try and chellenge us but we have three of the best in the world: Freestyle in Libby (WR holder and World champion in the 100m Free), Breaststoke in Leisel (WR holder and world champion in the 100m and 200m breaststoke and now Olympic Champion in the 100m Breaststoke) and Butterfly in Jess (WR holder and world champion of the 200m Butterfly and second in the world championships and third at the Olympics in the 100m Butterfly) and Emily in the backstroke who is a very good backstroker. There is no way we can lose this race and the aussie girls have the WR in the Medley Relay too. I agree it will be a good race I reckon the aussies girls will brake their own WR that's how good and unbeatable they really are.

You are forgetting that Natalie Coughlin is far faster in the backstroke than Emily Seabohm, and that Jessica Schippers counterpart will be USA's silver medallist,Magnuson, and I cannot begin to think about just what Dara Torres can pull out of a hat when pushed. You only have to look at what she did in the 4 x 100 womens freestyle. She is very dangerous. I am an Aussie. I would love to see our girls win but, I would never punt on us being the winner. The Americans are looking very good indeed!!!

AnnG
August 12th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Rebecca Soni is a swimmer just coming into her own, she really stepped up when it was needed. Every time she swims she seems to improve in big steps. She has a great future in store the next four years. Another swimmer I like watching (besides Lochte, Phelps and the rest of the great ones!) is Kathleen Hersey and also Elizabeth Biesel, those are our up and coming champions.

pwolf66
August 12th, 2008, 07:06 AM
I agree it will be a good race I reckon the aussies girls will brake their own WR that's how good and unbeatable they really are.

Tell that to the French. Not predicting who will win but it should be another great relay.

aquaFeisty
August 12th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Fantastic swim by Soni. She looked a little choppy and panicked the first 50, but then really turned it on and stretched it out coming home.

I am glad Liesel won, though. She is sooooo strong and just fantastic to watch. Love that glide.

Before Soni's and (especially) Magnuson's swim in the 100 fly, I wouldn't have thought that the US women had a snowball's chance in the medley relay. I still think the Aussies are stronger, but an upset is now a possibility and... hey! I wouldn't have thought Lezak could take on Bernard either. :D

Chrissy
August 12th, 2008, 09:53 AM
You are forgetting that Natalie Coughlin is far faster in the backstroke than Emily Seabohm, and that Jessica Schippers counterpart will be USA's silver medallist,Magnuson, and I cannot begin to think about just what Dara Torres can pull out of a hat when pushed. You only have to look at what she did in the 4 x 100 womens freestyle. She is very dangerous. I am an Aussie. I would love to see our girls win but, I would never punt on us being the winner. The Americans are looking very good indeed!!!

I can see what you mean the US are looking good but I still think our girls will do it for Australia in the end, they'll be swimming for the team and as a team they always swim their hearts out, our girls will always swim with guts and determination for their country, don't you remember 'The Dual In The Pool' last year both Liesel and Jess had just swam a 200m breaststroke and Butterfly and had literaly just left the pool and they went straight into the Medley Relay and they came out in the medley relay and swam like they were fresh and crisp as a swimmer who hadden even just swam a 200m Breaststroke and Butterfly legs just before, they were both exhaused especialy Jess. I still Remember Jess getting wobbly on her legs after she swum the Butterfly leg of the Medley Relay Liesel had to grab her arm to stop Jess from falling down, but I'll give it to Jess she had such guts and determintion to swim as fast as she did. It should be a good race though!

hofffam
August 12th, 2008, 11:00 AM

Natalie's backstroke advantage is less than Leisel's advantage (over 1.5 secs). Schipper and Magnuson are very close. I assume Tricket and Torres are equal based on the 4x100 relay. One area that could make a difference is the starts. Leisel is very slow off the blocks on her flat starts. Her reaction time was never faster than .82 - visibly slow. Perhaps the Americans can gain a few tenths on their starts and make it close to even for the freestyle leg.

lefty
August 12th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Natalie's backstroke advantage is less than Leisel's advantage (over 1.5 secs). Schipper and Magnuson are very close. I assume Tricket and Torres are equal based on the 4x100 relay. One area that could make a difference is the starts. Leisel is very slow off the blocks on her flat starts. Her reaction time was never faster than .82 - visibly slow. Perhaps the Americans can gain a few tenths on their starts and make it close to even for the freestyle leg.

Historically Leisel has been hit or miss on relays; often times slower in the relay than the individual. (and) For the Ausies to win this relay Liesel needs to pass Soni. As was stated already, Liesel is clearly the best breaststoker in the world: So simply do what you are supposed to do and the relay is yours.

elise526
August 12th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Kind of cool she has overcome some health issues to get where she is: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/20/sports/othersports/20swim.html?fta=y