PDA

View Full Version : World Record "Line"

matysekj
August 12th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Okay, so we've all seen the world record "line" projected on the pool in the TV coverage of major swimming races. It's nice to have it there, but it has it's shortfalls. The line moves at a constant rate of speed down the pool, which isn't realistic relative to how a race is actually swum, so the line often catches or passes swimmers towards the end of the pool.

What I can't wait for is for them to develop the technology to project the ACTUAL current world record swim as a swimmer swimming in an imaginary 9th lane so that we can watch people in the future swimming against Michael Phelps' current world record swims. I am positive that this technology will some day be viable, and I can't wait for that time. I'm sure they could do it now, if only the broadcasters had the forethought to record the swims in some standard way to enable this. Then we'd hopefully also lose the close-up shots of one swimmer during a race and be able to watch the whole race unfold more. I hate the close-ups!

knelson
August 12th, 2008, 10:47 AM
What I can't wait for is for them to develop the technology to project the ACTUAL current world record swim as a swimmer swimming in an imaginary 9th lane

Get with the program, Jim. The real wave of the future is to let some lucky fan who wins a contest actually control the dummy swimmer in lane 9 using his or her Wii! :)

Blackbeard's Peg
August 12th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Though it is nice to see who is leading at the turns, it is annoying to have the flag and name thing covering the leader's lane. you never get to see their underwaters or breakouts.

dorothyrde
August 12th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Though it is nice to see who is leading at the turns, it is annoying to have the flag and name thing covering the leader's lane. you never get to see their underwaters or breakouts.

This has really annoyed me at the starts because we totally miss what they do underwater at the starts on all swimmers. Oh well, at least they have it on TV. We could be watching ping pong.(notthathereisanythingwrongwithpingpong)

SwimStud
August 12th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Then we could record USMS swims to see how far behind the line we fall with each progressive stroke :D

rtodd
August 12th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Good point. It's like the superimposed downhill skiers. I like the idea. Technology is there.

quicksilver
August 12th, 2008, 07:28 PM
A digital flying fish would do just fine.

tjburk
August 12th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Some around here would have to be symbolized by a Guppy!!!! Or a Minnow!

cowsvils
August 12th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Okay, so we've all seen the world record "line" projected on the pool in the TV coverage of major swimming races. It's nice to have it there, but it has it's shortfalls. The line moves at a constant rate of speed down the pool, which isn't realistic relative to how a race is actually swum, so the line often catches or passes swimmers towards the end of the pool.

What I can't wait for is for them to develop the technology to project the ACTUAL current world record swim as a swimmer swimming in an imaginary 9th lane so that we can watch people in the future swimming against Michael Phelps' current world record swims. I am positive that this technology will some day be viable, and I can't wait for that time. I'm sure they could do it now, if only the broadcasters had the forethought to record the swims in some standard way to enable this. Then we'd hopefully also lose the close-up shots of one swimmer during a race and be able to watch the whole race unfold more. I hate the close-ups!

I thought that it was the actual swim, looking at trickett's swim, you can see the WR line surge at the end, the same thing happens on coughlin's backstroke finish. I could be wrong though...

lefty
August 12th, 2008, 08:48 PM

This is a great idea. By chance did you play Mario Cart on the Nintendo 64? THis "technology" existed in that game

taruky
August 12th, 2008, 09:41 PM

I guess it really depends on whether you want to see if the swimmer is ahead of the record holder at any given time or is ahead of world record pace.

smontanaro
August 12th, 2008, 10:12 PM
... it is annoying to have the flag and name thing covering the leader's lane. you never get to see their underwaters or breakouts.

Maybe that's why the judges can't see Kitajima's early dolphin kick!

Skip

chaos
August 12th, 2008, 11:04 PM
posted at nbc.com is the 4x100 relay all underwater video.

they should have that posted for every race.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/player.html?assetid=0812_hd_mul_au_ce493&channelcode=sportsw&_source=rss&cid=

knelson
August 13th, 2008, 12:16 AM
I thought that it was the actual swim, looking at trickett's swim, you can see the WR line surge at the end, the same thing happens on coughlin's backstroke finish. I could be wrong though...

Yes, I think you are. Splits are the only real data they have, so I'm 99% certain the world record line moves at a constant speed corresponding to the 50 meter split.

Allen Stark
August 13th, 2008, 12:40 AM
I agree about the banner.I guess starts and turns aren't all that important to NBC.