PDA

View Full Version : Please help save our swimming baths Warrenpoint Ireland

irish swimmer
August 12th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Hi , Kevin Gallagher here from Warrenpoint a small town in Ireland . A group of us here are trying to save our swimming baths which are 100 years old this year .We have an online petition and would be grateful if you and your members could support us . We are emailing as many swimming clubs in the world for their help and I hope your forum can ,thanking you for your time from all our group .

The site address is www.warrenpointpost.co.uk (http://www.warrenpointpost.co.uk/)

Kevin Gallagher ...SAVE OUR BATHS ACTION GROUP..............

jim thornton
August 12th, 2008, 12:10 PM
kevin--

I will happily sign your petition. It would probably help if you explained to us here in the US what exactly a "swimming bath" is.

The pool at my local YMCA is often so hot that it feels like a "swimming bath"--but I don't think that's you mean by the term.

Here in the US, bath generally refers to a tub of sorts into which one inserts a body or two in need of de-griming. If we were heard to invite a comely teammate to, for instance, "join me in the swimming bath," it might not go over too well with our spouses.

Ripple
August 12th, 2008, 01:15 PM
kevin--

I will happily sign your petition. It would probably help if you explained to us here in the US what exactly a "swimming bath" is.

The pool at my local YMCA is often so hot that it feels like a "swimming bath"--but I don't think that's you mean by the term.

Here in the US, bath generally refers to a tub of sorts into which one inserts a body or two in need of de-griming. If we were heard to invite a comely teammate to, for instance, "join me in the swimming bath," it might not go over too well with our spouses.

I swam in the Sherbrook Public Bath in Winnepeg a few years ago and it was very definitely a swimming pool. Built in the 1930's, with real marble mosaic instead of tile, and huge "sunflower" shower heads downstairs in the shower room. Really quaint and funky.
I think pools were called "baths" many decades ago because not all houses had indoor plumbing and it was a way to encourage people to get clean at least once a week. One hopes they were encouraged to shower before getting in. Otherwise the water would have been pretty opaque.

SwimStud
August 12th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Swimming baths arose in Victorian England particularly in cities. People did not have indoor bathrooms, and I even recall my Grandparents home in North London that still had the outdoor privvy.

Baths were taken at home in tin or copper bath tubs that you filled with heated water from the stove or fireplace. Watch My Fair Lady.

Public Baths were places where you could got for a hot bath for a penny or something like that. It was an individual tub that was filled for your use. Swimming pools were built and many included a public bath area within the complex. So the term Swimming Baths grew out of this. Some folks would still call the local pool the Public Bath, even years after the removal of the public bathing aspect.

Bathing Costume/Swimming Costume/Swim Suit are all terms for the same thing in the UK. Although not many use swim suit, and go with swimming costume.

Good luck Kevin, I hope you keep the place open. I signed the petition. I saw Sharon Davies' photo and it set my heart a flutter...man she was a hottie when I was a kid!

jim thornton
August 12th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Well, I was the 154th person to sign the petition established by the Save Our Baths Action Group.

This may well be the best thing I do all year.

I encourage all my USMS friends to join me in saving Ireland from the loss of yet another bath. What good is Irish Spring without water to remove the soapy residue, perhaps during a set of 100s?

"Strong enough for a man, but I like it too!" says the chorus of wee colleens from across the sea!

irish swimmer
August 13th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Thank you all for signing the petition from everyone here in Warrenpoint Ireland .

Warrenpoint Municipal Baths are a outdoor seawater swimming pool which we call Baths as there was hot seaweed baths at the pool years ago .We are trying to save this and you all did your bit and should be proud by signing our petition .

Thanking you again Kevin Gallagher (Save Our Baths Action Group ) PR

savethebaths@live.co.uk

www.warrenpointpost.co.uk (http://www.warrenpointpost.co.uk)

jim thornton
August 13th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Kevin, speaking purely from the American mindset, I think I may have a solution for your bath problem.

1. Reinstate the hot seaweed
2. Find a piece of kelp that curiously resembles Jesus
3. Publicize the, well, bejesus out of this miracle algae
4. Charge a small stipend from religious pilgrims from the southern United States traveling to "bathe with green Jesus"
5. Retire your debt and get rid of the seaweed

Best of luck!