PDA

View Full Version : Why wasn't Cavic in the 100 free semis?

zanadu
August 12th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Forgive me if this was already answered on TV, I've yet to see the coverage since I'm on the west coast... but he qualified 6th and yet his name is nowhere to be seen in the semifinal results??

thewookiee
August 12th, 2008, 10:39 PM
He scratched to conserve himself for the 100 fly.

zanadu
August 12th, 2008, 11:05 PM
He scratched to conserve himself for the 100 fly.Really? that doesn't make much sense, since the 100 fly is on Thursday and he is sure to make the semis in that. He qualified sixth with a 48.15!!

thewookiee
August 12th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Yea, a lot of times things they do at meets don't make sense. My gut feeling was that he used the 100 free race as away getting first race nerves out of the way.

A lot of swimmers talked about the first race jitters, so he may have used this as a way of clearing those out.

smontanaro
August 12th, 2008, 11:53 PM
> A lot of swimmers talked about the first race jitters, so he may have used this
> as a way of clearing those out.

Kinda sucks for whoever placed third in his country's trials...

knelson
August 13th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Very strange move in my book. I don't know why he'd do that. But I guess if he thinks he's got a shot at a medal in the fly and believes this will somehow help him then it's his call.

I know Canada's Brent Hayden scratched the 200 free, but that was because he thought he could help his 4x100 relay team by doing so.