PDA

View Full Version : Cullen Jones, Second Black Gold Medal Swimmer

breastroker
August 12th, 2008, 11:20 PM
The wonderfull announcers (Haven't heard Rowdy say it) continue to say Cullen Jones is the second black Olympic Gold medal swimmer.

Not even, I guess they forgot Anthony Nesty in 1988 who beat the great Mat Biondi in the 100 fly with the perfect finish!

And how about Anthony Lee Ervin (born May 26, 1981 in Burbank, California). In 2000, he became the first swimmer of African American descent to win a Gold for the USA in the 50 meter freestyle.

breastroker
August 12th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Still I am extremely happy for Cullen, he is a class act. I happen to know one of his coaches and mentors, and yes I am speaking of USMS Coach of the Year Ed Nessel. Very proud and happy to see another black american swimmer win Gold. Hopefully one day we won't find mention of color.

Way back in the old days when I swam in high school in Arizona, our club team needed more 15-17 male swimmers. When I recruited a jewish and a black swimmer (both sprinters and perfect on our relays) our "Southern Colonel" Asher just about had a heart attack! My mom told me about the parents meetings where this biggot got so upset! She was proud of me.

Also back in 1993 I swam in a Scottish Championship swim meet in Glasgow. The black runner you see on many commercials now, being helped by his father to finish the 400 race, was a guest and swam in the meet.

Absolutely the WORST turns in history, feet totally pointed the wrong way, and yet he swan close to a minute flat for 100 meters. I for one would have loved to see this gentlemen try swimming with a good coach. Just give him a year!

Here is a quiz, anyone remember his name? I do :)

SwimStud
August 12th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Also back in 1993 I swam in a Scottish Championship swim meet in Glasgow. The black runner you see on many commercials now, being helped by his father to finish the 400 race, was a guest and swam in the meet.

Absolutely the WORST turns in history, feet totally pointed the wrong way, and yet he swan close to a minute flat for 100 meters. I for one would have loved to see this gentlemen try swimming with a good coach. Just give him a year!

Here is a quiz, anyone remember his name? I do :)

Derek Redmond

knelson
August 13th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Cullen Jones may be technically the second African American swimmer to win a gold since Nesty is from Suriname. He definitely isn't the second black swimmer, though.

breastroker
August 13th, 2008, 12:05 AM
You are correct!!!

SwimStud
August 13th, 2008, 12:07 AM
You are correct!!!

Might be unfair since I'm a Brit by birth.