PDA

View Full Version : Katie Hoff

rooinoz
August 13th, 2008, 01:11 AM
My heart goes out to Katie Hoff. In Athens, she was not able to do as well as she could. Now here in Beijing, same thing. She can and has shown she is a world beater, a world record holder but she is having an off time in Beijing. I hope she doesnt give up swimming.
Apparently Leisel Jones seriously considered giving up swimming after Athens because of not being able to get that elusive gold in Sydney or at Athens.
But she didnt and history was written.
I hope that Katie will continue, but I hope she shortens her programme next time so that she can take sure gold in some events rather than attempt a "Michael Phelps."

zanadu
August 13th, 2008, 01:16 AM
She is actually swimming some very impressive times, just not doing the super times necessary to win gold. The 400 free was for sure disappointing, as for the more recent events, she may just be getting tired.

FlyQueen
August 13th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Yeah, actually she was just off of her best time in the 400 IM (her previous WR) and I think her times in both the 200 and 400 free were good for her. She had to be tired in the 200 IM. I think she has a great shot at the 800 especially with Kate Ziegler not looking to be in top form and the women's 800 free relay should be awesome.

tjrpatt
August 13th, 2008, 09:08 AM
She is doing her best times. It just wasn't her Olympics to win gold in those events. She still has the relay and 800 free to redeem herself because she looks ticked off after every final. She wanted that gold and the potential "cosmetics contract" that comes with it. But, she is brave for doing this schedule. No other women had the guts to do all these events. She should have happy to place as high as she did in all these events. It is not going to get you that L'oreal or Neutrogena contract though.

hofffam
August 13th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Do you KNOW that Hoff is fighting for a cosmetics contract???

I think she is a great competitor and I admire her for attempting the schedule she set out for the Olympics.

I think we see that she is finally tired and didn't have anything in the tank for the 200 finals last night. I think 4 out of 5 times she beats Coughlin in the IM and would outsplit her on breaststroke every time. But not last night. Hoff doesn't have that reserve gear to come home with like she did at Trials.

I hope she can get some rest and recover for her remaining races.

The Fortress
August 13th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Yeah, I would bet that, right now, Hoff doesn't give a toss about any alleged cosmetic contract.

lefty
August 13th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Yeah, I would bet that, right now, Hoff doesn't give a toss about any alleged cosmetic contract.

She is a professional swimmer and elected not to swim in college at all to become one. If by "right now," you mean this very moment that is probably true. But clearly she is concerned about her ability to make money in the sport.

Steve Ruiter
August 13th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I'm thinking she probably makes more swimming than I do as a white collar professional. If I were to guess, I'd say she wants to win races, but she can speak for herself.

I wonder if the US trials are too close to the Olympics. Seems that the Americans with a few notable exceptions (e.g. Phelps) have to swim so fast at OTs so close to the Olympics that they are not as well able to taper and drop time for the big show. Furthermore, they have to show most all of their cards ahead of time.

Whatever Kirsty Coventry had to go through to represent Zimbabwe seems to be working extremely well for her. I'm guessing there are was no Zimbabwe OT meet. They were saying that she "threw in" the 400 IM as an extra event...and wound up breaking the existing WR and taking home a silver. Is there anything the US can learn from that?

Midas
August 13th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I've heard it said that the timing of OTs was dictated by NCAAs (they didn't want the two meets close to one another). I wish I could call BS on that but I know a guy who was probably top 10 in the country in his event back in 2000 and his college coach wouldn't let him go to OTs because they were so close to NCAAs. Maybe this guy was a longshot at best but you never know. How many others were or would be put in similar situations if trials were closer to NCAAs?

tjrpatt
August 13th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Do you KNOW that Hoff is fighting for a cosmetics contract???

I think she is a great competitor and I admire her for attempting the schedule she set out for the Olympics.

I think we see that she is finally tired and didn't have anything in the tank for the 200 finals last night. I think 4 out of 5 times she beats Coughlin in the IM and would outsplit her on breaststroke every time. But not last night. Hoff doesn't have that reserve gear to come home with like she did at Trials.

I hope she can get some rest and recover for her remaining races.

Look, I don't know that for sure, but that seems to always happen when some of these female Olympians get gold, they are in some hair care or cosmetic commercial.

LindsayNB
August 13th, 2008, 01:06 PM
In his interview with the CBC Hansen said that the timing of the Olympic Trials hadn't worked well for him.

hofffam
August 13th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I've heard it said that the timing of OTs was dictated by NCAAs (they didn't want the two meets close to one another). I wish I could call BS on that but I know a guy who was probably top 10 in the country in his event back in 2000 and his college coach wouldn't let him go to OTs because they were so close to NCAAs. Maybe this guy was a longshot at best but you never know. How many others were or would be put in similar situations if trials were closer to NCAAs?

This might be true but I'm not sure it makes sense. Many of the international swimmers are NCAA swimmers too. Their home countries had their trials far in advance of the Olympics.

The more elite swimmers here might be a better judge of this but I think the double taper required over 5 weeks has to be difficult for some to manage.