PDA

View Full Version : Underwater video - entire 4x100 men's free relay

hofffam
August 13th, 2008, 04:17 PM
NBC posted a video of the entire 4x100 free relay from the underwater cameras.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/player.html?assetid=0812_hd_mul_au_ce493&channelcode=sportsw

Very cool. Huge contrast in swimming style between Lezak and Bernard.

Warren
August 13th, 2008, 04:37 PM
ha, i was just about to post this. Great footage.

ehoch
August 13th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Wow - that is great - some of the best underwater footage ever.

You can really make a study in Sprint Free swimming out of this single video.

Both Bousquet and Bernard don't really have a high elbow catch at all - it's very straight under water - pure force.

Sullivan has alomst no bubbles on his hands - pure catch. Interesting to see how Phelps sprints and tries to get his turnover up.

JonasTris
August 13th, 2008, 06:14 PM
This is stunning footage indeed. Kudos to NBC for posting this.

hofffam
August 13th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I wonder if any of the swimmers noticed the moving camera underneath them? Any turbulence from the camera?

It almost looks a bit like the rabbit at a greyhound track!

zanadu
August 13th, 2008, 06:26 PM
interesting. Bernard was windmilling that last lap. It seems he swims the 100 the exact same way he swims the 50... windmilling and pure force.

Skaterbaj
August 13th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Wow that was really cool. Seems French swims different from USA :p

pwolf66
August 13th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Nothing makes my IT professional heart run screaming into the night more than installing BETA software from Microsoft.

Thanks NBC for embracing established video standards that allow viewing from any compatible program......oh wait.........

Charge
August 13th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Thought it was interesting how many guys, including Sullivan and Lezak, don't keep their fingers together on the catch and pull. Sullivan has a problem with his left thumb sort of flying out and Lezak swims with almost a spread-fingered style. you think that would be less efficient.

chaos
August 13th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Thought it was interesting how many guys, including Sullivan and Lezak, don't keep their fingers together on the catch and pull. Sullivan has a problem with his left thumb sort of flying out and Lezak swims with almost a spread-fingered style. you think that would be less efficient.

water has surface tension, so unless the fingers are spread wide there is no loss of grip over a cupped hand. check out popov's thumbs.. having them wide didn't cause any problems and i've heard some say that there was some benefit to be had by spreading the web between thumb and fore finger.

LindsayNB
August 13th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Nothing makes my IT professional heart run screaming into the night more than installing BETA software from Microsoft.

Thanks NBC for embracing established video standards that allow viewing from any compatible program......oh wait.........

Not only that but the software doesn't work on all cpu types, including my AMD processor (not the latest) which it says is lacking some instruction set or other. Runs everything else just fine.

art_z
August 14th, 2008, 08:18 AM
is it just me, or was Lezak breathing every stroke right from the get go?

mazzy
August 14th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Look like a super great video but only visible inside the USA... :(

Warren
August 14th, 2008, 01:11 PM
bernard looks over at lezak on his second to last stroke. He did it in the 100 free too. Also, he huged the lane line next to lezak, allowing lezak to catch a draft. That makes about 0 sense to me.

ViveBene
August 14th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Just curious - Does a draftee know that a drafter is free-riding?

Isn't the draftee focused greatly on getting to the wall, so should not be looking behind? Can you feel someone drafting?

VB

art_z
August 14th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Just curious - Does a draftee know that a drafter is free-riding?

Isn't the draftee focused greatly on getting to the wall, so should not be looking behind? Can you feel someone drafting?

VB

no, you can't feel them drafting. Think of it this way, the wave behind as you swim is like a sound wave coming out of your mouth. There is no indication that the sound wave from your mouth was heard or felt by the person speaking. There is no physical feedback from your wake either.

I think Bernard didn't even realized he was on the lane line.

Curious if Lezak would have won without the draft.

RFBG
August 14th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Look like a super great video but only visible inside the USA... :(

NBC is for some probably good reason penalizing all non-US fans. I am based in Latin America and need to browse Internet channels from several sources in order to access live feed. So far so good.

But this will not work for the 4x100 men's free relay video.
So maybe some kind soul would be willing to record that video for the rest of us (:violin:) ??

LonghornbackinTX
August 17th, 2008, 04:37 PM
That was a really amazing video!